Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so with the odometer hitting 870km, my engine oil life dropped to 90%

just curious if this is normal, looks like i will have to get an oil change every 8000km then?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine dropped 10% at about 900 and 1,900, and I will watch for the next drop. I am anticipating 8,000-10,000km. My 3G TL was closer to 10,000 at 5% remaining.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine dropped to 90% at about 950 kms as well, I am at 1995 km as of today and still showing 90% left. It looks like the change is displayed in 10% increments; I did not know that. My other car, Saturn Outlook actually shows the counter in increments of a single digit, which is really nice.
I am planning to switch to Mobile 1 Synthetic at the first oil change and do hope I will get longer intervals.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will you guys get your oil changed at the dealer or some independent shop or by yourself?

·
Registered
666 Posts
You will not get longer interval as the system cannot detect the difference in oils. The last stage of the countdown in remaining oil life is 5%.

·
Registered
666 Posts
will you guys get your oil changed at the dealer or some independent shop or by yourself?
My first 2 years of service is free (promotion back in August), and I will continue to have service done by the dealer at least to end of warranty. I would consider switching if there was an independent shop with a good reputation that specialized in Acura, but have not heard of one. The dealers have done a good job to convince me that their service is best (at their higher prices).

·
Registered
317 Posts
You will not get longer interval as the system cannot detect the difference in oils. The last stage of the countdown in remaining oil life is 5%.
Are you sure ? That's not good. However, if we all are showing slightly different variation of the mark where the counter drops that means that the system is intelligent enough to differentiate between oil use. Usually, if one drives more on the highway the distance is longer vs. stop and go. I think the reason why I am still at 90% is that the last 300 km have been 98% highway driving. If this is the case, the system should read better longevity of the oil if it is synthetic or not (I think)

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Now that is awesome, nothing than going through the best quality of service and for free. Beats going to some independent shop.
Very true. They really make leasing a car an attractive offer. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would expect around 11,000 km for the oil change. I have a 2014 Accord as well as the TLX, and it is the same engine in both cars granted the TLX is putting out about 15 HP more than the Accord. The Accord is 11,000 km roughly to 15% oil life when the warning comes on, which is when I change it.

I got the 2 years no charge maintenance as well, and once that's done I'm interested to see how much the oil change will be. The Honda dealer does the Accord for $65 tax in for a synthetic oil change here in the Toronto area, which I think is an amazing price for dealer service. I could barely by the parts for that much money to do it myself, and they wash my car and fill the washer fluid too :D.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
I got down to 60% with 3,300 miles. :)

So far so good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you sure it is for a synth oil ??
My 4G TL would require oil change at 12,000 kms. The cost for oil change was also $65 tax in. I asked Acura service how its so cheap cause synthetic is pricey unless they use regular oil. They told me its semi synthetic hence pricier than regular oil but costs alot less then full synthetic. Good enough for me. Less trips to dealer and more time for other thinhs. I also got 2 years maintenance free with my TLX. But looking back on my 4G. I only spent around $500 over two years. Newer cars just don't need that much maintenance. However my Toyota Highlander requires we go in every 6,000 kms for a $70 oil change.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts