Acura TLX Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Went to the dealer this morning to get a few noises looked at and I forgot about the fact that the engine idle auto start/stop wasn't working. I don't actually care about that though.

Anyway, I give the tech credit for really trying to hear the noise as they sat in the car with me while I drove around and did actually duplicate it several times. I even revved the engine to the point where I could hear the noise while they listened with the hood open. They actually did hear the noise, but for now they believe it's the injectors. Yes, even some of the weird squeakiness.

They said to bring it back in if it gets worse, which I plan to. I may also consider trying some fuel system/injector cleaner to see if maybe there's some more stubborn buildups in the fuel system somehow from the car sitting at the dealer so much. There's about a year from the car's build date to when I drove it off the lot with ~60 miles on it.

Despite the noise persisting, I'm actually not disappointed in the dealership here. The tech really tried to listen for the noise and they were very patient as I drove around for what felt like a long time. They otherwise did hear the steering wheel noise and the clicking from my passenger seat too. Both of those noises have gotten better over time though so I'm not too worried about those and of course the car will go back if they get worse.

I'll continue to monitor the engine noise though and I'll report back if there's any significant changes. I'll also see how the fuel system/fuel injector cleaner works out and report on that too. I'm not in too much of a hurry to try since fuels have additives that should help clean the fuel system and injectors anyway though.
Thanks for all the updates, i have been busy with work lately and haven’t been able to post an update of my own. I haven’t noticed mine getting any better or any worse. It would make sense that it’s the injectors, my last car had very noisy injectors with a similar ticking sound, just not as fast paced or as noticeable inside while driving. I’ve also had the car into the dealer for a battery issue and they weren’t concerned with the noise either. Maybe I’m just a little more sensitive to odd sounding noises since its a brand new car and I don’t expect to hear them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for all the updates, i have been busy with work lately and haven’t been able to post an update of my own. I haven’t noticed mine getting any better or any worse. It would make sense that it’s the injectors, my last car had very noisy injectors with a similar ticking sound, just not as fast paced or as noticeable inside while driving. I’ve also had the car into the dealer for a battery issue and they weren’t concerned with the noise either. Maybe I’m just a little more sensitive to odd sounding noises since its a brand new car and I don’t expect to hear them.
Yeah, the noise does seem odd compared to others I've had with direct injection engines too. Like you, I think I may be a bit more sensitive since it's a new car. I think what's odd is the squeal-y nature of the noise that comes out sometimes when I listen really carefully. I'll have to monitor that more closely.

I'm curious to see if fuel system cleaner makes any difference, but I'm not expecting much or anything because, again, most fuels have additives in them these days that should clean things up anyway. I'll report back one way or another whenever I get around to it though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car is also a 2021 TLX and I have the same tapping noise too. The noise is more obvious at around 1500-2000 rpm and 30-40 mph. I do noticed that it gets louder when the weather is cold.
I brought my car to the dealership but the technician didn't hear it. They just suggested that we can bring the car back if the problem persists. Have you found what is causing the noise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My car is also a 2021 TLX and I have the same tapping noise too. The noise is more obvious at around 1500-2000 rpm and 30-40 mph. I do noticed that it gets louder when the weather is cold.
I brought my car to the dealership but the technician didn't hear it. They just suggested that we can bring the car back if the problem persists. Have you found what is causing the noise?
No, I haven’t proven that it’s one thing or another definitively. It hasnt gotten any worse or any better with more miles on the odometer (6,500 miles as of this week). It does seem to get a little louder with colder weather, but lessens once its up to operating temp. Im thinking it could be the injectors ticking as they cycle since the noise hasn’t changed much since I first noticed it. I have a service coming soon and am going to mention it to the dealer again, but last time they didn’t seem concerned with it. I will still keep monitoring it on mine just in case it starts to lead to something else, but so far it hasn’t.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is the whine coming from a four K20C6 (2.0L) or six J30AC (3.0L)?

Since the K20C series been on a number of other Honda's, Civics, Accords, and on Acura the RDX. Couldn't find anything readily noteworthy on Civics and RDXs, but on the Accords, apparently the waste gate can work loose, more reported on 1.5L, but appears anecdotal given the wide number of vehicles on the road with the K20C debut back in 2015?

On our 2ng Gen TLX, the waste gate can be found here:
Product World Organism Font Art

You could easily check to make sure there no mechanical play here, not hard to torque back down. Though unknown what the factor torque spec is without the FSM in front of me. However, here's a general guide line based on bolt size and strength:

Otherwise you can use an acoustic emissions tool, here's a multi-channel one you can clamp to the part in question and isolate/zero in on the source.

Product Gas Font Luggage and bags Musical instrument accessory

But it's tough, as number of factors impact harmonics, like a tuning fork, you won't know what your structures naturally frequencies will be without taking baseline and test data. Which is hard as most dealerships play swap-tronics these days, and only the more master techs care or have the experience to diagnose and troubleshoot these days.There's fancier tools out there that triangulate sound emissions, but more military/defense roles that won't be employed on consumer market.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts