Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new owner of a ‘21 TLX with about 900 miles on it. I started noticing some engine noise within the last couple of days that sounds like a fast paced tapping sound that changes with RPM changes. Kind of sounds like valve noise I’ve experienced on other cars. Are these cars known to need valve adjustments this early on? It seems early to me to need it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
~400 miles on my TLX. I’ve heard this too, but mostly when coasting. I can’t hear it outside of the car either if I roll down the window.

The engine seems to running fine though. I wonder what it could be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
~400 miles on my TLX. I’ve heard this too, but mostly when coasting. I can’t hear it outside of the car either if I roll down the window.

The engine seems to running fine though. I wonder what it could be?
Same thing with mine, I can’t hear it outside. I haven’t noticed any power issue either. I guess Ill give it some time to see if it gets any louder or start noticing engine trouble. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same thing with mine, I can’t hear it outside. I haven’t noticed any power issue either. I guess Ill give it some time to see if it gets any louder or start noticing engine trouble. Thanks for your input.
Likewise! I’ll report back here if anything changes, for better or worse. I’ll see if I can figure out if there’s certain factors or conditions that make it come up more or less too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I heard the noise more today, but it happens somewhat inconsistently. I said that it tends to come up when costing, but then it didn't today. It also came up under light throttle, but again, not every time. I think this is going to be a tough one to isolate.

That said, when listening really closely, it almost sounded like a belt squeak/squeal kind of noise at times too.

My TLX unfortunately has some clicking/tapping noises that come up every now and then:
  • steering wheel/air bag when going over bumps
  • seats also make a clicking noise when cornering hard but not all the time
  • there's a rattle from the dash when there's more vibration from the engine bay, like when the engine is lugging a bit
  • sounds like there's something loose in the front driver's side door
As much as there is, they're not bad enough that I feel the need to go to the dealership too soon as they could wait until the first oil change. Part of me hopes they'll resolve themselves over time, but I'm not holding my breath either. I suppose this is whawt I get for being a guinea pig with picking up the first model year after a re-design!

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I heard the noise more today, but it happens somewhat inconsistently. I said that it tends to come up when costing, but then it didn't today. It also came up under light throttle, but again, not every time. I think this is going to be a tough one to isolate.

That said, when listening really closely, it almost sounded like a belt squeak/squeal kind of noise at times too.

My TLX unfortunately has some clicking/tapping noises that come up every now and then:
  • there's a rattle from the dash when there's more vibration from the engine bay, like when the engine is lugging a bit
As much as there is, they're not bad enough that I feel the need to go to the dealership too soon as they could wait until the first oil change. Part of me hopes they'll resolve themselves over time, but I'm not holding my breath either. I suppose this is whawt I get for being a guinea pig with picking up the first model year after a re-design!
Is it a known thing that Acura fixes or will fixes known problems discovered in first production cars? When do they typically assess and get feedback from customers to address 'unknown' issue (those discovered by customers through ownership)?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is it a known thing that Acura fixes or will fixes known problems discovered in first production cars? When do they typically assess and get feedback from customers to address 'unknown' issue (those discovered by customers through ownership)?
I assume they do, like any good manufacturer should. I've received surveys directly from manufacturers before. I got a couple surveys when I had my Mazda CX-9, for example. I'm sure Acura (and every other manufacturer) also gets data from their dealership service departments when customers bring their cars in to address issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man, the more I stay and read on the forum, the more I am skeptical about buying a new car lol

Edit: as if buying user car is any better

·
Registered
41 Posts
Man, the more I stay and read on the forum, the more I am skeptical about buying a new car lol

Edit: as if buying user car is any better
For what it's worth, car forums are where people go to complain and troubleshoot issues more often than sing songs of praise about the cars the forums are for, haha. Granted, you'll find both, but people are more likely to go to a forum to try to fix something.

Despite the issues I've found with my TLX, I actually really like it. I've only had it for about 2 weeks, but I absolutely love it. It's an awesome highway commuter and the real world performance feels better to me than what many reviews would indicate otherwise. The OEM Michelin Primacy A/S are okay so far, but have gotten better since they've broken in a bit too. The car is MUCH bigger than he one I traded in (a VW GTI) though so I'm still feeling out how to park it well, but I'm getting better by the day 😅.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For what it's worth, car forums are where people go to complain and troubleshoot issues more often than sing songs of praise about the cars the forums are for, haha. Granted, you'll find both, but people are more likely to go to a forum to try to fix something.

Despite the issues I've found with my TLX, I actually really like it. I've only had it for about 2 weeks, but I absolutely love it. It's an awesome highway commuter and the real world performance feels better to me than what many reviews would indicate otherwise. The OEM Michelin Primacy A/S are okay so far, but have gotten better since they've broken in a bit too. The car is MUCH bigger than he one I traded in (a VW GTI) though so I'm still feeling out how to park it well, but I'm getting better by the day 😅.
That's true. I am also on Honda Accord forum and there is a lot of 'how to' guide. I joined primarily to keep in touch with rest of you all, educated myself and hopefully get some help here and there :)

What are good tire to get? Year around?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've taken this thread off topic (sorry, OP), but I'll go ahead and answer the tire question at least - There's at least 3 tires that I'll personally look at when it comes time to replace the tires on the TLX:
There's others I'll probably take a closer look at too, but these are my top 3 at the moment. I'm a long way off from replacing the tires on my TLX though, assuming the OEM tires on it now perform okay in the winter. I'll consider a swap much sooner if they're awful in the snow, but I've seen some comments that say they're at least okay.

·
Registered
23 Posts

For me, my steering wheel/airbag clicking went away if I pulled down on the top part of the circular horn button (with the acura logo on it). Try it next time you go over some bumps or rough road. So as a DIY fix I got some felt tape, folded it two or three times to make it thicker and so that the adhesive was not on the outside, then pulled down on top of the horn piece and jammed the felt tape in with a credit card to create a kind of outward pushing force. This eliminated 99% of the noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yeah, my car has similar interior nuisance noises. They are my only real complaint with the car, But then again I’m sort of used to them due to past cars I’ve owned having the same type of noises. They are definitely still annoying nonetheless.

As for the engine noises, I’ve noticed the same sort of belt sounding noise. Although my sounds a tad more of the whining variety with the added tapping. Its mostly noticeable during acceleration and seems to quiet down some after driving for a bit, but never really completely goes away. I’ll probably bring it up at the next service unless it gets any worse and warrants an early visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That’s what I’m thinking too. Not bad enough to bring in yet, the noises can wait for the first service interval. I’ll bring the car in if the noises get worse/worrisome though. I’ll report back any changes on the noises or findings if I bring the car in for it. Might be a while though, I’m pretty far from the first service.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, still haven't taken the car to the dealer for this noise, but I think it's starting to happen more consistently.

The noise seems to come up most when engine RPMs are between 1500-2000, whether it be on or off throttle. When on throttle, it'll only really happen if it's light throttle. Heavier throttle seems to make the noise go away.

The sound has this kind of squeaky/"flappy" quality to it that actually reminds me of the sound of a PC case fan or GPU fan going bad (any PC builders here?). That actually makes me worried it could be a turbo bearing sound because when my PC case/GPU fans have gone bad, the sound would only come up at specific rotational speeds and go away when they go faster (until of course the bearing wear/damage gets appreciably worse). This could explain why the noise only comes up at specific engine speeds and lighter throttle because at lower speeds whatever's rotating may not be going fast enough to make enough bearing noise or when they go fast enough, the noise is drowned out or isn't an issue until the bearings are damaged more.

Only a theory, of course. I also haven't looked under the hood to see where the turbo is. If it's by the firewall though, I might start to get more worried, haha. I might also be able to have someone give the car some throttle while I try and record the sound from that area too.

I'll upload a clip YouTube or something if I'm able to capture the noise. I think I'll make an appointment at the dealership at that point too because having that evidence makes it much more likely it'll be addressed rather than trying to have a tech/advisor listen for it (I haven't had much luck with such noises coming up for techs/advisors in the past with any car/brand in the past).

EDIT: Ok, so the "snail" is at the front. Not a likely culprit unless it's somehow making enough noise that it makes it into the cabin, but then I feel like I should be able to hear it with the windows down. I wonder then if it's a bearing or something somewhere else in the drivetrain, wheels, SH-AWD system (anyone with FWD hearing this?), or something like that. If the car only makes the noise while in motion, that would narrow this down too, but it unfortunately makes it more difficult to isolate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've taken this thread off topic (sorry, OP), but I'll go ahead and answer the tire question at least - There's at least 3 tires that I'll personally look at when it comes time to replace the tires on the TLX:
There's others I'll probably take a closer look at too, but these are my top 3 at the moment. I'm a long way off from replacing the tires on my TLX though, assuming the OEM tires on it now perform okay in the winter. I'll consider a swap much sooner if they're awful in the snow, but I've seen some comments that say they're at least okay.
Interesting choices. The top 2 on your list are also on mine as well. I wouldn’t have considered the cross-climates. # 3 on my list is Bridgestone Potenza RE980+. I have them on my V6 Accord now. They are a nice compromise between the DW06 (softer riding) and the Pilot all seasons
(Harsh riding). I’m due for a set and am 50/50 with another set of Bridgestones and the Pilot A/S. The best part of the Bridgestones is the wet handling and stopping. The worst part is the drop in gas mileage over the Pilot A/S and DW06’s. I have 30,000 miles on the Bridgestones and they can certainly go another 5k, but I’d rather change them before winter and reap the benefits of new tires in the bad weather.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting choices. The top 2 on your list are also on mine as well. I wouldn’t have considered the cross-climates. # 3 on my list is Bridgestone Potenza RE980+. I have them on my V6 Accord now. They are a nice compromise between the DW06 (softer riding) and the Pilot all seasons
(Harsh riding). I’m due for a set and am 50/50 with another set of Bridgestones and the Pilot A/S. The best part of the Bridgestones is the wet handling and stopping. The worst part is the drop in gas mileage over the Pilot A/S and DW06’s. I have 30,000 miles on the Bridgestones and they can certainly go another 5k, but I’d rather change them before winter and reap the benefits of new tires in the bad weather.
Continental tires have probably been most consistent for me as far as quality, longevity, and performance are concerned, based on all the different sets/models of their tires that I've tried. Bridgestone, unfortunately, has probably been worst. I know Bridgestone makes some excellent tires that are enthusiast favorites too though.

To be fair to Bridgestone, I haven't tried many of their tires and most of my experience with them is with the OEM versions that come with cars from the factory which are known to usually be worse than the products that are sold to customers from the likes of Tire Rack or Discount Tire. I've complained plenty of OEM Bridgestone Ecopias plenty around here and elsewhere, but the Bridgestone Turanza runflats I had on a 2009 BMW 328 were loud and didn't perform well in the winter. The OEM Bridgestones that came on my VW GTI I last had weren't great either and were even gone a couple months after I got that car. However, I had some runflat Bridgestone DriveGuard tires that were actually good on my BMW 335 sedan and they performed very well in the winter in deep-ish snow even (as deep as a sedan with lower ground clearance could expect to be able to handle at least).

Otherwise Michelin has been widely praised by enthusiasts I know personally and in forums I've been part of, so I'd feel pretty confident buying their tires too. I think I've just become more of a Continental fanboy over the years though, hahah.

Most of the bigger/more established tire brands all have good and bad apples in their product portfolios, just gotta find the good ones.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Continental tires have probably been most consistent for me as far as quality, longevity, and performance are concerned, based on all the different sets/models of their tires that I've tried. Bridgestone, unfortunately, has probably been worst. I know Bridgestone makes some excellent tires that are enthusiast favorites too though.

To be fair to Bridgestone, I haven't tried many of their tires and most of my experience with them is with the OEM versions that come with cars from the factory which are known to usually be worse than the products that are sold to customers from the likes of Tire Rack or Discount Tire. I've complained plenty of OEM Bridgestone Ecopias plenty around here and elsewhere, but the Bridgestone Turanza runflats I had on a 2009 BMW 328 were loud and didn't perform well in the winter. The OEM Bridgestones that came on my VW GTI I last had weren't great either and were even gone a couple months after I got that car. However, I had some runflat Bridgestone DriveGuard tires that were actually good on my BMW 335 sedan and they performed very well in the winter in deep-ish snow even (as deep as a sedan with lower ground clearance could expect to be able to handle at least).

Otherwise Michelin has been widely praised by enthusiasts I know personally and in forums I've been part of, so I'd feel pretty confident buying their tires too. I think I've just become more of a Continental fanboy over the years though, hahah.

Most of the bigger/more established tire brands all have good and bad apples in their product portfolios, just gotta find the good ones.
Kind of agree regarding the Bridgestones with the exception of the ones I got. There is a tire rack review of them on YouTube and they are spot on. I’d buy the continentals or the Michelin’s as well or even the Pirelli p zero all seasons. All of them are in the Tire rack review.
Since Costco only sells the Michelin’s and the Bridgestones and the prices are usually unbeatable on Black Friday, I’m going to choose between them.

snow test

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK - another update on the noise, but not a big one.

I can replicate the noise while the car is parked after all, so the engine isn't under load when the noise comes up. It very consistently occurs between 1500-2000 RPM and seems loudest at 2000 RPM. I didn't rev above that though because it's somewhat early-ish and I didn't want to be the tool on my neighborhood block revving my car's engine for too long, haha. I know 2000 RPM isn't much, but whatever.

I think the noise may be getting worse, but it's also entirely possible I'm just becoming more sensitive/attuned to it over time.

I'm going to have my wife help me record the noise today or sometime over the weekend and I'll share here if I can get a good clip.

Otherwise, while the noise itself isn't good, I'm actually glad it can be replicated while the car is parked because then it should hopefully be easy to demonstrate for a service advisor at a dealership.

EDIT: Not able to really record the noise that well and I didn't wanna sit in my garage revving the car's engine too much and look like a tool to my neighbors. I decided to just go ahead and schedule an appointment with my dealer so they can take a look at it and other rattles/noises and the engine auto start/top since that's never worked since I got the car. Appointment is set for Friday, so I'll report back if they dealer is able to figure anything out. I feel like the noise comes up consistently enough that it should be easily duplicated, but I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Went to the dealer this morning to get a few noises looked at and I forgot about the fact that the engine idle auto start/stop wasn't working. I don't actually care about that though.

Anyway, I give the tech credit for really trying to hear the noise as they sat in the car with me while I drove around and did actually duplicate it several times. I even revved the engine to the point where I could hear the noise while they listened with the hood open. They actually did hear the noise, but for now they believe it's the injectors. Yes, even some of the weird squeakiness.

They said to bring it back in if it gets worse, which I plan to. I may also consider trying some fuel system/injector cleaner to see if maybe there's some more stubborn buildups in the fuel system somehow from the car sitting at the dealer so much. There's about a year from the car's build date to when I drove it off the lot with ~60 miles on it.

Despite the noise persisting, I'm actually not disappointed in the dealership here. The tech really tried to listen for the noise and they were very patient as I drove around for what felt like a long time. They otherwise did hear the steering wheel noise and the clicking from my passenger seat too. Both of those noises have gotten better over time though so I'm not too worried about those and of course the car will go back if they get worse.

I'll continue to monitor the engine noise though and I'll report back if there's any significant changes. I'll also see how the fuel system/fuel injector cleaner works out and report on that too. I'm not in too much of a hurry to try since fuels have additives that should help clean the fuel system and injectors anyway though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts