Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got my 2019 TLX with Tech package. I have been really impressed with the car. I am big into music, and I think the ELS studio has been decent. However there are a few points that are in my head making me wonder if it is better than other systems out there considering different metrics.

- Why are there only 10 speakers? Toyota Avalon has 14 JBL speakers or more I guess. BMW 5's HK system has 16. Even other normal cars like Kia Cadenza have HK systems with 14 speakers. Will the number of speakers even matter?

- The wattage seems to be just 490 watts?(I got this through some press release document, its not stated anywhere on Acura website). Other systems are roughly 600 watts. I have no idea if more wattage here is good, but would like to get some expert advice

Can someone throw some light on these? Those of you who have experienced those other systems, can you let us know what your observations were? I am starting to worry that this "ELS" system may not after all be on par with the other systems but would like to know if there are any considerations to take into account.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a 2019 TLX as well. I spent some time messing around with the audio settings trying to adjust everything so it sounds good to my ears. When I adjust the Treble, Bass and Subwoofer levels, I don't get a sense that much is changing. From the very lowest to the very highest settings, I don't feel like there is much difference.

I'm not one who uses the EQ controls to add volume. I don't crank everything to the max, normally, I just move each adjustment one or two levels in either direction. I'm coming from a 2005 Honda Element with the upgraded but stock stereo. It wasn't a bad system. I had the Treble adjusted to +1 the Bass adjusted to 0 or the center position and the Subwoofer adjusted to +2 or +3 depending on my mood and the music I was playing.

In the TLX I gave up and adjusted the subwoofer to it's max.

I've only had my TLX for a few weeks and I will say that it seems like the system sounds a little better now than when I first drove the car. I don't know if there's anything to that... are the speakers "breaking in?" or are my ears just becoming more accustomed to the sound of the ELS system in the TLX.

I wouldn't say the ELS system is a great sound system. In my opinion, I think it's above average but nothing truly special. My wife drives a 2017 Toyota Highlander with the upgraded JBL system and to me, that stereo sounds like crap.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wattage or the number of speakers the system has. Wattage numbers are often exaggerated. The count of the total number of speakers is largely marketing by the manufacturer. If Mercedes touts an 11 speaker system this year, BMW is likely going to have a 12 speaker system next year. Just focus on how the overall system sounds to your ears.

I'm interested to hear the Krell system in the RLX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just got a 2019 TLX as well. I spent some time messing around with the audio settings trying to adjust everything so it sounds good to my ears. When I adjust the Treble, Bass and Subwoofer levels, I don't get a sense that much is changing. From the very lowest to the very highest settings, I don't feel like there is much difference.

I'm not one who uses the EQ controls to add volume. I don't crank everything to the max, normally, I just move each adjustment one or two levels in either direction. I'm coming from a 2005 Honda Element with the upgraded but stock stereo. It wasn't a bad system. I had the Treble adjusted to +1 the Bass adjusted to 0 or the center position and the Subwoofer adjusted to +2 or +3 depending on my mood and the music I was playing.

In the TLX I gave up and adjusted the subwoofer to it's max.

I've only had my TLX for a few weeks and I will say that it seems like the system sounds a little better now than when I first drove the car. I don't know if there's anything to that... are the speakers "breaking in?" or are my ears just becoming more accustomed to the sound of the ELS system in the TLX.

I wouldn't say the ELS system is a great sound system. In my opinion, I think it's above average but nothing truly special. My wife drives a 2017 Toyota Highlander with the upgraded JBL system and to me, that stereo sounds like crap.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wattage or the number of speakers the system has. Wattage numbers are often exaggerated. The count of the total number of speakers is largely marketing by the manufacturer. If Mercedes touts an 11 speaker system this year, BMW is likely going to have a 12 speaker system next year. Just focus on how the overall system sounds to your ears.

I'm interested to hear the Krell system in the RLX.
Thank you for dropping in!
I feel the ELS system is decent. There are definitely some great details I can hear in the music, but one point I noticed is turning up the volume to mad levels isn't wreaking havoc like it does in my friend's Mercedes HK system.
Regarding the subwoofer setting, yes, pushing it all the way up seems to make no difference to me. It could be because of the Active Noise Cancellation, but heck,
I don't want to turn it off as I feel it keeps my cabin really quiet on highways.

As a sidenote, I heard the Mark Levinson System in Lexus ES (15 speakers I guess?) and somehow I felt it was inferior to the ELS. Haven't spent a lot of time on it though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
More speakers don't always mean better sound. Not really happy with the sound system either. But what do you expect from a speaker that's built using wafer paper. The louder you turn it up the more the sound sound all mix up together with no distinct sound in instruments and vocals. Just awful in general. But I can understand they are auto experts not audio experts. Don't get me started on the bass subwoofer, the have no oomph and no dynamic range. Just replace all four speakers for the front doors and rear panel and it's a whole world of difference in quality. Cleaner sparkling highs that doesn't hurt the ears, mid are smooth and low have that rumble to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More speakers don't always mean better sound. Not really happy with the sound system either. But what do you expect from a speaker that's built using wafer paper. The louder you turn it up the more the sound sound all mix up together with no distinct sound in instruments and vocals. Just awful in general. But I can understand they are auto experts not audio experts. Don't get me started on the bass subwoofer, the have no oomph and no dynamic range. Just replace all four speakers for the front doors and rear panel and it's a whole world of difference in quality. Cleaner sparkling highs that doesn't hurt the ears, mid are smooth and low have that rumble to it.
How to do that? How can I get started with replacing them myself?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, weird question. How do I access the menu to adjust the bass, treble, etc? Maybe I haven’t spent enough time on my 2019, but I cannot find the menu to change this. My 2016 ILX was straight forward, or maybe I’m just not picking up the menu right. Appreciate any help!

·
647 Posts
For my 2015, in the Owner's Navi Guide, page 156, you hit the Menu button and then Sound.
Adjust the sound bass, treble, fader, and balance. You can also adjust the strength of the sound coming from the center and subwoofer speakers. In addition, you can set Speed-sensitive Volume Compensation (SVC) and DTS Neural Surround
There is also a More... button that gets you to the same settings

·
487 Posts
From the 2018 TLX Nav Manual (I'd be willing to bet the 2019 manual is nearly identical):

1 - 9 of 9 Posts