Acura TLX Forum banner

ELS Studio system

22K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  pcontos 
#1 ·
Hey all, just got my 2019 TLX with Tech package. I have been really impressed with the car. I am big into music, and I think the ELS studio has been decent. However there are a few points that are in my head making me wonder if it is better than other systems out there considering different metrics.

- Why are there only 10 speakers? Toyota Avalon has 14 JBL speakers or more I guess. BMW 5's HK system has 16. Even other normal cars like Kia Cadenza have HK systems with 14 speakers. Will the number of speakers even matter?

- The wattage seems to be just 490 watts?(I got this through some press release document, its not stated anywhere on Acura website). Other systems are roughly 600 watts. I have no idea if more wattage here is good, but would like to get some expert advice

Can someone throw some light on these? Those of you who have experienced those other systems, can you let us know what your observations were? I am starting to worry that this "ELS" system may not after all be on par with the other systems but would like to know if there are any considerations to take into account.

#2 ·
I just got a 2019 TLX as well. I spent some time messing around with the audio settings trying to adjust everything so it sounds good to my ears. When I adjust the Treble, Bass and Subwoofer levels, I don't get a sense that much is changing. From the very lowest to the very highest settings, I don't feel like there is much difference.

I'm not one who uses the EQ controls to add volume. I don't crank everything to the max, normally, I just move each adjustment one or two levels in either direction. I'm coming from a 2005 Honda Element with the upgraded but stock stereo. It wasn't a bad system. I had the Treble adjusted to +1 the Bass adjusted to 0 or the center position and the Subwoofer adjusted to +2 or +3 depending on my mood and the music I was playing.

In the TLX I gave up and adjusted the subwoofer to it's max.

I've only had my TLX for a few weeks and I will say that it seems like the system sounds a little better now than when I first drove the car. I don't know if there's anything to that... are the speakers "breaking in?" or are my ears just becoming more accustomed to the sound of the ELS system in the TLX.

I wouldn't say the ELS system is a great sound system. In my opinion, I think it's above average but nothing truly special. My wife drives a 2017 Toyota Highlander with the upgraded JBL system and to me, that stereo sounds like crap.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wattage or the number of speakers the system has. Wattage numbers are often exaggerated. The count of the total number of speakers is largely marketing by the manufacturer. If Mercedes touts an 11 speaker system this year, BMW is likely going to have a 12 speaker system next year. Just focus on how the overall system sounds to your ears.

I'm interested to hear the Krell system in the RLX.

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you for dropping in!
I feel the ELS system is decent. There are definitely some great details I can hear in the music, but one point I noticed is turning up the volume to mad levels isn't wreaking havoc like it does in my friend's Mercedes HK system.
Regarding the subwoofer setting, yes, pushing it all the way up seems to make no difference to me. It could be because of the Active Noise Cancellation, but heck,
I don't want to turn it off as I feel it keeps my cabin really quiet on highways.

As a sidenote, I heard the Mark Levinson System in Lexus ES (15 speakers I guess?) and somehow I felt it was inferior to the ELS. Haven't spent a lot of time on it though.

#4 ·
More speakers don't always mean better sound. Not really happy with the sound system either. But what do you expect from a speaker that's built using wafer paper. The louder you turn it up the more the sound sound all mix up together with no distinct sound in instruments and vocals. Just awful in general. But I can understand they are auto experts not audio experts. Don't get me started on the bass subwoofer, the have no oomph and no dynamic range. Just replace all four speakers for the front doors and rear panel and it's a whole world of difference in quality. Cleaner sparkling highs that doesn't hurt the ears, mid are smooth and low have that rumble to it.

#7 ·
Hey all, weird question. How do I access the menu to adjust the bass, treble, etc? Maybe I haven’t spent enough time on my 2019, but I cannot find the menu to change this. My 2016 ILX was straight forward, or maybe I’m just not picking up the menu right. Appreciate any help!

#8 ·
For my 2015, in the Owner's Navi Guide, page 156, you hit the Menu button and then Sound.
Adjust the sound bass, treble, fader, and balance. You can also adjust the strength of the sound coming from the center and subwoofer speakers. In addition, you can set Speed-sensitive Volume Compensation (SVC) and DTS Neural Surround
There is also a More... button that gets you to the same settings

#11 ·
I tested all the 6 cylinder japanese cars available in the market and, along with a quiet cabin, the BALANCED SOUND QUALITY of ELS system is one of the reasons i decided to buy my 2019 TLX. I am not satisfied with its very very slow down shift transmission but I would buy again a car with the ELS system.

#12 ·
When I upgraded my speakers I went with the ones recommended by Crutchfield to get the best matched with the amps. Yes, upgrading the speakers really makes a difference.

#13 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post as I just joined the TLX Forums. I just purchased a 2019 TLX V6 Advance package after owning a 2008 TL for nearly 15 years. I loved that car and hated to have to give it up but it was really costing me a lot of maintenance for a car with only 115k miles.

I absolutely loved the ELS sound system in the TL as many here do. The sound was so balanced between the treble, bass, midrange, etc. The subwoofer was very powerful and didn’t rattle at all and I would listen at nearly Max volume often. I used the DVD audio as much as I could since a lot of the bands I follow in the progressive/classic rock genre had many releases during the mid 2000’s and 2010’s. The Dolby pro logic II fake surround also sounded great. The only thing that drove me crazy is that the 6 disc cd changer got the discs stuck and I had to replace the radio four times. Needless to say, I knew I had to change with the times and accept the move to more lossy sound quality in the new TLX‘s with the removal of the DVD audio system and the convenience of features such as Apple Car play, HDD drive, etc. I bought the 2019 because it only had 21k miles and it was 34k but also because it was the next to last year to have a CD player in dash. The new TLX’s and new cars in general are so ridiculously expensive. In general, I love the car and it is going to take me all year to really get ahold of all of the technology.

The main reason for my post is that I am really surprised how different the sound is compared to the old TL. I had the car for a week and I blew the center speaker with that DTS Neural surround mode. The bass is really week and raising the subwoofer level really does nothing. The sound is very clear and I am getting used to it. I have adjusted the levels to a more pleasant balance but it is still harsh on my ears when raising the volume which is noticeably louder than the old TL system. One difference in sound is the additional tweeters on the dash which seem very dominant. The treble and bass levels are very difficult to get a good overall balance that will hold when raising the volume. I have read in this forum about similar reviews dating back to 2014 when the first TLX was release. I also read about how maybe the ANC (Active Noise Cancelling) featur is affected the low frequencies when driving. None of the comments on that subject seem consistent and definitive so I really don’t know what to think there. I am trying to be positive and get used to the sound which I am but I still curious to hear if anyone has any updated opinions on this topic.

#14 ·
Hi Everyone, This is my first post as I just joined the TLX Forums. I just purchased a 2019 TLX V6 Advance package after owning a 2008 TL for nearly 15 years. I loved that car and hated to have to give it up but it was really costing me a lot of maintenance for a car with only 115k miles. I absolutely loved the ELS sound system in the TL as many here do. The sound was so balanced between the treble, bass, midrange, etc. The subwoofer was very powerful and didn’t rattle at all and I would listen at nearly Max volume often. I used the DVD audio as much as I could since a lot of the bands I follow in the progressive/classic rock genre had many releases during the mid 2000’s and 2010’s. The Dolby pro logic II fake surround also sounded great. The only thing that drove me crazy is that the 6 disc cd changer got the discs stuck and I had to replace the radio four times. Needless to say, I knew I had to change with the times and accept the move to more lossy sound quality in the new TLX‘s with the removal of the DVD audio system and the convenience of features such as Apple Car play, HDD drive, etc. I bought the 2019 because it only had 21k miles and it was 34k but also because it was the next to last year to have a CD player in dash. The new TLX’s and new cars in general are so ridiculously expensive. In general, I love the car and it is going to take me all year to really get ahold of all of the technology. The main reason for my post is that I am really surprised how different the sound is compared to the old TL. I had the car for a week and I blew the center speaker with that DTS Neural surround mode. The bass is really week and raising the subwoofer level really does nothing. The sound is very clear and I am getting used to it. I have adjusted the levels to a more pleasant balance but it is still harsh on my ears when raising the volume which is noticeably louder than the old TL system. One difference in sound is the additional tweeters on the dash which seem very dominant. The treble and bass levels are very difficult to get a good overall balance that will hold when raising the volume. I have read in this forum about similar reviews dating back to 2014 when the first TLX was release. I also read about how maybe the ANC (Active Noise Cancelling) featur is affected the low frequencies when driving. None of the comments on that subject seem consistent and definitive so I really don’t know what to think there. I am trying to be positive and get used to the sound which I am but I still curious to hear if anyone has any updated opinions on this topic.
Agree. Sound on my 2011 TL Tech was WAY BETTER than our 2019 MDX Advanced. Sigh.

#15 ·
Has anyone on this forum kept this ELS Sound System but changed the speakers? Did it make any difference or is the actual receiver just really lacking in bass/bottom end? The top right and left dashboard tweeters are really harsh to my ears. I moved the FADE to the rear by two or three levels and it has helped take away some of the harshness of those. Everyone's ears and hearing are different and on some recordings the system can sound impressive and clear but on others it is really difficult to find a proper balance for my ears. I wonder if others have felt the same way and made some modifications to their system as I may be interested in doing so in the future.

#16 ·
Do you guys have any recommendations for speakers that would fit in the existing housings that would improve the sound and provide more bottom end? Also, the front dash tweeters are really harsh to my ears so I have to move the fade slightly to the rear. I really don't want to put an additional amp or woofer in the trunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.