Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must say I"m very happy with the sound from the Tech audio system.
Very clear for car audio, doesn't break up at volume, and is enjoyable to listen to.
Anyone else have an opinion on this ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was . You will never get "hi-end" sound in a car...just too closed in I think....speakers are right on top of you...but it's clear, plays loud without breaking up, has decent bass, all in all a good system I'd say...of course, I"m coming from an Accord EX-L 07...that thing has a turntable!!!))
Not great on bumpy roads!!..

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Anyone else have an opinion on this ?
I like the sound as well. The system sounds a lot better since I found the DTS Neural setting and turned it on. I played a couple of CDs in it yesterday and it sounded real good. I probably will listen to XM or audio books most of the time. Pandora sounded good as well.

I haven't listened to FM or AM in years. I was playing around with FM and learned about HD radio. Still like XM.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Finally got my slate silver tech 2.4 yesterday. I tried out the usb input and it works on a thumb drive. I now have 6 GB of music arranged in folders but have yet to figure out the voice command search. The upper screen shows what playing much better than the lower screen, so I am going to try out my Garmin with lifetime maps mounted on the suction cup mount over the sliding door at the usb port.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Finally got my slate silver tech 2.4 yesterday. I tried out the usb input and it works on a thumb drive. I now have 6 GB of music arranged in folders but have yet to figure out the voice command search. The upper screen shows what playing much better than the lower screen, so I am going to try out my Garmin with lifetime maps mounted on the suction cup mount over the sliding door at the usb port.
Congratulations! I saw your pictures in your "virtual" garage.

I haven't tried the USB yet.

I am also curious about the HDD but haven't ventured there as well.

Do you need two GPS units with a Tech TLX?:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, I tried the experiment this afternoon and the Garmin wins hands down. I have a suction cup mount on the wood grain cover for the power and usb connections. the thumb drive on the right and the Garmin power cable on the left with enough space to coil up the cable. The Garmin 1350 LTM picks up the satellite just fine, or in poor reception areas lay it on the dashboard until it locks on and then gets the signals through the moon roof.

Entering the NAVI data to go somewhere or get home is like spelling on an old typesetter in the previous century. A keyboard once appeared on the lower screen briefly, but it is not referenced in any manual and I couldn't make it appear again. I think I will just use the upper screen for music information and occasionally the nice large map for information I'll be using the Garmin to get to a memorial service next weekend.

Has anyone learned to use the voice recognition to navigate?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Has anyone learned to use the voice recognition to navigate?
I got voice recognition to work after some practice. It's not intuitive. To find the restaurant I wanted I had to go through the prompts. I hope there is a better way, but I am still learning.

The Garmin is much easier to use. I use it when I travel. Excellent GPS in the US and Canada.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Spent some additional time on voice recognition and managed to enter my home location verbally. Set up "go home" which worked coming back from the dealer's location. Some tasks still require use of that painful speller on the center console

I printed out the eight pages of recognized voice commands from pages 312-319 of the Navigation Manual available only from the CD that comes with the vehicle. These were placed in transparent slip cases which can be stored below my seat for use while standing still. Hope to eventually replace my Garmin as the primary navigation guidance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The worst sounding auto stereo system I've head to date. The sound is not much different from what comes out of a 50" flat panel HDTV. Elliot Scheiner is deaf.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The worst sounding auto stereo system I've head to date. The sound is not much different from what comes out of a 50" flat panel HDTV. Elliot Scheiner is deaf.

I have to 100% disagree! I have had two other factory Bose systems, and my ELS system out does both of them. This is an amazing sounding system.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Elliot Scheiner is deaf.
Ha ha. You made me laugh. :laugh:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but my ELS sounds great. Enough bass and treble.

Sometimes I have the mute the system because I don't know if the sound is outside the car or if it is the ELS. I find I dislike songs with sirens. :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
great sounding mids and very good highs, however the subwoofer is lacking. i mentioned it in my other thread but i had a 2010 TSX premium with the acura premium sounds system; one step lower than the ELS system. the sub on the premium system was much much better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to 100% disagree! I have had two other factory Bose systems, and my ELS system out does both of them. This is an amazing sounding system.
Coming from the audiophile community, BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ELS sounds better than Bose.

I'm not impressed with the TLX system either. Yes it plays loud without distorting, but there is absolutely not separation between instruments. I listen to rock a lot but all of the instruments are mashed up together and there is no way to pick out the details in the music. I can see how many people think it sounds good, but many people also think Bose and Beats headphones sound good. There's just so much more to music than that. For electronic dance music where sounds are more clearly defined to a beat, the system does sound pretty good. At the end of the day the ELS system is just passable, not something to brag about.

I accept that I may be used to much higher end equipment than what gets put into cars, but then I sit in my friend's Audi and remember what a real premium factory car system can sound like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, So I'm not a sound file, but I know what I like. The Acura EL sound system was nice, the TSX was better and the TLX, well, I thought it was awesome, but what do I know.

Hunter

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Its better then the sound system in my Genesis. But then again, the exhaust and intake drown out the crappy stereo anyway lol.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Ok, So I'm not a sound file, but I know what I like. The Acura EL sound system was nice, the TSX was better and the TLX, well, I thought it was awesome, but what do I know.

Hunter
Your opinion counts.

Especially if I agree with it. :D

Of course everyone has opinions that count. Feel free to express yourself. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
You must be deaf or had your ears blown out from concerts. Do you like the sound of Sirius XM? If so than my statement has been reinforced. It is a horrible sounding system in the 2015 TLX. The front speakers are wired out of phase with the rear by design.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Correct: they are wired that way on purpose, to give the feeling that you are not listening to music / sound in a car. They purpose was to outdo conventional sounding systems, and to give a more realistic listening experience that would equate to a larger room.

I am not deaf. I also am not a huge fan of the XM quality, compared to sound coming from the USB port. That is certainly my preference.

No need to make assumptions. As posted earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinions. :) I merely stated I disagreed, when I compare my current ELS system to my previous upgraded sound systems.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts