Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG do yourself a huge favor and replace the 3” center channel speaker in the middle of the dash behind the main display. I just replaced it with a 3.5” JBL speaker with a bass blocker and it makes the stereo sound the way it should’ve sounded from the beginning!

I fought with the dealer for months about that speaker…. Had a constant distorted muddy sound in mid-range frequencies and I could tell it was blown (their “fix” was to turn off Neural surround sound 😼)

Seriously, don’t pass go, don’t collect $200, order these speakers on Amazon and add in a bass blocker for a 3.5” speaker while you’re at it.
View attachment 26813 View attachment 26813

You’re welcome…

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
My 3.5" center speaker started have problems a couple of years ago, so I changed it. Yes, the sound was better after I changed it.

·
Registered
2018 Acura TLX A-Spec V6 SH-AWD
5 Posts
OMG do yourself a huge favor and replace the 3” center channel speaker in the middle of the dash behind the main display. I just replaced it with a 3.5” JBL speaker with a bass blocker and it makes the stereo sound the way it should’ve sounded from the beginning!

I fought with the dealer for months about that speaker…. Had a constant distorted muddy sound in mid-range frequencies and I could tell it was blown (their “fix” was to turn off Neural surround sound 😼)

Seriously, don’t pass go, don’t collect $200, order these speakers on Amazon and add in a bass blocker for a 3.5” speaker while you’re at it.
View attachment 26813 View attachment 26813

You’re welcome…

Which JBL did you go with? I installed Infinity Reference 3032CFX in my dash last week but I find the highs to be a little harsh. Looking to try something else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used JBL GX 328 3/5" speakers. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CPW4VFV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I also spliced a bass blocker on the positive wire b/c I suspect the preamp doesn't block enough bass from that driver. It did make the highs a lot brighter, so it's possible the sound quality wouldn't suffer too much without the bass blocker.

I went with this speaker because it's one of the few 2 Ohm options out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, the JBL drivers are much more "robust" than the originals. Way bigger magnets, tougher woofer surrounds, probably bigger voicecoil, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
True, there aren't many 2ohm options out there. Crutchfield suggests Hertz DCX 87.3 but not sure. Thinking I may try something with a silk tweeter like the Kicker 47KSC3504 or maybe spend the extra money and go for the Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m since I just put Infinity Kappa 62IX in the doors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that's a solid plan. It will sound amazing, I'm sure. Kind of wish Acura had stepped up their speaker game just a bit for the Tech package and up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
no kidding. i had a 2011 TL SH-AWD with Tech and never considered changing out the speakers.... also spoke to Crutchfield they recommended the Kicker 47KSC3504 cause of the silk tweeter but said they may be underpowered since they are 4 ohms. Going to give it a shot and see how it sounds. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’d trust Crutchfield. My wife has a ‘13 RDX and the speakers are original and amazing. Wonder what they did since then?

·
Registered
170 Posts
True, there aren't many 2ohm options out there. Crutchfield suggests Hertz DCX 87.3 but not sure. Thinking I may try something with a silk tweeter like the Kicker 47KSC3504 or maybe spend the extra money and go for the Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m since I just put Infinity Kappa 62IX in the doors.
Hertz speaker you referenced is 4 ohms. The speakers in the TLX are 2 ohm. If you don't match the other mounted speakers the volume from the 4 ohm will not be balanced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It probably is, but I put one on out of an abundance of caution. But the JBL speaker I put in is way more robust than the ELS (Panasonic) driver I took out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OP, how easy is it to change that speaker? Any pics or tips you could post, I'm assuming it's easy once you see the tricks to doing it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very easy to replace. I did it twice in a week. Here are a few pics. Also, I replaced the Infinity set with the Kickers and love the way they sound. So definitely recommend replacing the stock speaker.

1. Pop off the cover with a trim tool
Hood Water Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt

2. There are 2 clips to disconnect. The clip that is connected to the sensor and the clip connected to the speaker.
Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Toy

3. Once disconnected, the whole thing will come out with the speaker attached. Just unscrew and remove the stock speaker.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Mode of transport

4. Attach your new speaker to the cover, reattach the clips (you'll need the Metra wiring harness) and pop that sucker back in the dash.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Font Gas

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would go with the JBL being 2.3 ohms. The ELS system was designed for a surround balance, therefore getting as close to 2ohms should keep the volume sound in its design criteria.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go with the JBL being 2.3 ohms. The ELS system was designed for a surround balance, therefore getting as close to 2ohms should keep the volume sound in its design criteria.
I get that but my issue with the Infinity set was that the highs were too high for my liking. Spoke to someone at Crutchfield and they said if I don't like the sound of the Infinity then I wouldn't like the JBLs. The suggested the Kickers because of the silk tweeters even with the ohm difference. I installed last week and super happy with the sound now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts