Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The removal of the DVD-audio player in the 2015 Acura line is a move of stunning ignorance. The capacity to play lossless sound in this car is why I purchased my TSX in 2013, and why many of my friends chose Acuras over equivalent cars with lesser sound systems, at least prior to 2015. At the price of an Acura, the vehicle will never go mainstream, so why dumb down the stereo to CD, and loose even more customers?

Although DVD-audios are not commercially made these days, the boys at Acura fail to realize that Acura drivers burn their own DVD-audios from high definition downloads available from sources such as HDTracks and Linn records, and use burning programs such as Cirlinca to make their discs. Listening to music on a DVD-audio disc is the sonic equivalent of moving from a 10 inch black and white TV on rabbit ears to a 55 inch HD flat screen LED. Gutting the ELS system by removing the DVD-audio playback capability leaves only the shell. It doesn't matter how good the speaker system is when the audio signal running through it is clipped as it is on CDs, and crap.

I was ready to commit to Acura for many years to come because of the DVD-audio system, which I expected in the new TLX, but not in Lexus or Infinity. Because of this self-defeating move, Acura has lost my allegiance and my business.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You can use DTS-CD which is nearly as good, but the capacity is lower. But then I suspect you will complain that it does not have a CD changer, or that it does not rip DTS-CD's to the HDD.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

The removal of the DVD-audio player in the 2015 Acura line is a move of stunning ignorance.
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

I have to agree with you on this matter. Ever since I test drove the 2004 TL with DVD audio, I immediately went out and bought some DVD-As. The DVD-As played really well in the TL's 5.1 stereo. It really had great channel definition. It actually sounded like the band was in the car with me. It felt as if the drummer was behind me in the back seat, next to him was the guitar player. In the front passenger seat was the lead singer. It was amazing. I tried DVD-A at home and found it equally amazing. Instead of getting the 2004 TL, I felt the 2004 TSX was a better fit for me moving from a 2000 Honda Accord.

Ever since then, I dreamed of getting a stereo to play DVD-A. I did my homework on the ELS in the 2015 TLX. The owner's manual did not mention anything about DVD-A. I was holding out hope. When I got the TLX, I confirmed my fears and found that DVD-A was not available. I haven't gone the DTS-CD route yet.

To me, the audio portion of the TLX is good enough for me. I look at the car as a whole unit and I still like what I see and enjoy driving the car everyday through traffic.

As far as DVD-As go, I guess they are not main-stream enough and also they are difficult to find. I feel it was a good technology that was killed off before its time.

I guess I am not an avid DVD-A fan as you are. I didn't recognize any of the software/tools you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think misrepresented is a harsh word, I for one never took the name "ELS" to automatically include DVD Audio.

Anyway, I'm going to guess the percentage of Acura owners who ever used that feature is miniscule, otherwise other manufacturers would have come out with it as well.

When I first got my 2006 TL, I tried out the DVD-Audio. I burned some DVD's from lossless downloads, which ended up being a huge pain in the ass (maybe its simpler now, or I didn't have the best software), and also purchased a handful of commercial DVD-A's, all of which soon afterwards started gathering dust. I'll bet my experience is far more typical than yours, but then I don't have "golden ears" either. 320kps AAC files on a USB memory stick inserted in the USB slot sound good enough to me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Its one of those features that aren't requested by cosumers really. DVD sound has a very limited audience, doesn't mean its not good, most of us know its better!
I would put money on that they made more money in the royalties they don't have to pay because its not on the system than the lost money from customers that didn't buy the car that doesnt have DVD sound!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I think misrepresented is a harsh word, I for one never took the name "ELS" to automatically include DVD Audio.
True. I agree that "misrepresented" is a bit harsh. The owner's manual was accurate. A couple of us had hope that it was an unadvertised feature. :)

I have gotten over it. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts