Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electronic parking brake has been making squeaking noise when it's engaged/disengaged. It's being repaired now. Did anyone have a similar problem? What's your experience with the issue/repair?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
832 Posts
I hope I didn’t start something by mentioning the EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) from the other thread…..

As our other Moderator andre12dbsi has correctly mentioned, we have not seen problems with the EPB here. But like any part, things can break and do break, just not with a frequency to be a recurring problem here for everyone.

Personally I have never used my EPB since I have had this car. Keep in mind that here in Kansas we really have no hills. Kansas is very flat. I only mention this as perhaps others don’t use their EPB too and thus the EPB would likely never malfunction if never used. Could be some logic to that or on the other hand its 2:44 AM and I’m tired and shouldn’t be up now anyway………….

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
When I had my TLX I used the parking brake quite often and never had an issue. Hopefully it's not something that is going to start appearing in the '15s.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I use my from time to time... no issues here. Perhaps the Tesla EPB recall is giving bad vibs to this forum. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I thought the brake was applied automatically even if you don't switch it on upon turning off the engine. Could swear I saw that somewhere in the book. (Just took a look, I don't see that in a quick search but I'm pretty sure I saw it when I first got the car.)

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I thought the brake was applied automatically even if you don't switch it on upon turning off the engine. Could swear I saw that somewhere in the book. (Just took a look, I don't see that in a quick search but I'm pretty sure I saw it when I first got the car.)
Yes, I believe you're right. It's listed in the scenarios when you turn the car off when not in park, when the door is opened at low speed, and a few more. I do remember seeing it in the owners manual.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did find, while looking just now, that with the brake on and your seatbelt buckled, when you put the car in D or R and touch the gas peddle it will automatically release. Good to know.

One reason I don't like the parking brake (really, the only reason) is that it can't be applied proportionately if the main brakes go out, the way a typical handbrake can be. No pulling on a lever to slow the car down, just an on or off electronic switch.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Here are the full list of conditions that will engage the parking brake:

In the following situations, the parking brake automatically operates:

• When the vehicle stops more than 10 minutes while ACC with LSF is activated.
• When the driver’s seat belt is unfastened while your vehicle is stopped automatically by ACC with LSF.
• When the engine is turned off while ACC with LSF is activated.
• When the vehicle stops with the automatic brake hold system activated for more than 10 minutes.
• When the driver’s seat belt is unfastened while your vehicle is stopped and brake hold is applied.
• When the engine is turned off while brake hold is applied.
• When there is a problem with the Brake Hold System.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: The issue was caused by faulty parking brake actuators.
Note: The dealer had to order a 2nd set from a different warehouse because the 1st repair did not fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks for the update... I do believe this is the first issue we've heard about something like this... I hope your issue is resolved soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dropped my 2016 TLX SH-AWD off at Acura today due to my brake system problem alerts coming on within the dash. After diagnostics, found that the parking brake actuator was bad. When I asked how something like this happens, they tell me it’s simply an electrical issue. Ugh!

·
Registered
2015 Acura TLX V6
5 Posts
Here are the full list of conditions that will engage the parking brake:

In the following situations, the parking brake automatically operates:

• When the vehicle stops more than 10 minutes while ACC with LSF is activated.
• When the driver’s seat belt is unfastened while your vehicle is stopped automatically by ACC with LSF.
• When the engine is turned off while ACC with LSF is activated.
• When the vehicle stops with the automatic brake hold system activated for more than 10 minutes.
• When the driver’s seat belt is unfastened while your vehicle is stopped and brake hold is applied.
• When the engine is turned off while brake hold is applied.
• When there is a problem with the Brake Hold System.
So I think that I set off this parking brake sensor when I turned the car off when I’m gear. I thought that it was in park. As soon as I was driving about a few miles it showed an error. Do I have to take it in to get fixed or can I just clear this issue?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts