Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not find the post in our forum that said someone here was a Acura Tech that did not know about the ECU update. (I guess I ate too much turkey yesterday and took a brain dump. :))

If the ECU update is a myth, I wouldn't want to keep false information alive, but on other forums, I keep seeing that the ECU update exists.

I found this post, as well as others, on another forum that lead me to believe that the ECU update is valid but not advertised enough. If the ECU update exists, we need to get the word out. If the ECU update does not exist, I will stop mentioning it.

Here is the post I found concerning the existence of the ECU Update:

Originally Posted by NRS78 View Post
Thanks for the info and update. I spoke with my service manager on Monday, and he also said they have an ECU update available. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow, so they can work on it Friday. Here's hoping it resolves the poor cold shifting. I will update my results after I get it back.
After six days at the dealership, I finally got my car back last night. I can assure you there is an ECU update for the DCT. However, it is not advertised to the Acura shops (which is probably why they will say they don't know anything about it when you ask). Your tech will have to call into the Acura Techline to get it. Acura appears to be very interested in fixing these shifting issues that many of us are having. They will ask your tech to take a "snapshot" of the issue, which is basically a 30 second system data reading before, and 30 second after reading when the "event" happens. They must send this in before they can get the update. Then after the update is applied, they have to send in another snapshot if it happens again.

After they applied the update to my car, the tech said it did not feel any different. When he called the Techline again they said he would have to go through the learning process, which involves a min. of 30 miles of different driving conditions, and the use of the paddle shifters to "teach" the clutches the appropriate pressures to apply. After he did that, and let it sit for a day to cool down, he said it did feel better. However, he cautioned that this may still not solve my issues, and to please call them next week to update them whether it is fixed or not.

Well on the drive home, for the first little bit when it was warming up, it did still feel that the shifts were... firm. Didn't notice the slipping though that I had experienced before. After it was warm, I did wind it up a bit to feel it out, and the shifts felt a bit different although they were pretty smooth. I'm going to watch it for the next few days to see if this update made much of a difference. Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. Being that Acura just announced that the 2016 ILX will also have the 2.4L and 8sp DCT, it seems that Acura is putting a lot of trust in this power train.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Learning process....hm..."teaching" the clutches....hm....I need a drink :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting to the forums after joining today, but I wanted to start by adding onto this thread and confirming that there is indeed an ECU update available for at least the I4 trim of the TLX.

I like many others on these forums had been experiencing some transmission issues with my 2015 I4 TLX and brought it into the dealership to get it checked out. Figured I would detail some of the issues that I experienced with my TLX so others could take to their respective service depts if you experience similar problems:

• Cold start lower transmission shifts (1-3) are usually rough/jerky and inconsistent
  • Cold start shifting from Reverse > Drive when backing out of parking space usually has a 3-4 second delay before tranny becomes responsive
  • (Sometimes) After driving for a short distance after a cold start and coming to a complete stop, the transmission will jerk or lunge forward as it downshifts from 2 > 1
  • Driving in stop and go traffic (relevant for shifting between gears 1-4) is usually jerky and inconsistent.
  • When slowing down and then trying to accelerate again, the transmission will shift early or late and not keep the RPMs up enough to match resuming acceleration. Usually occurs at lower speeds (below 25 mph) and the transmission hesitates before resuming acceleration leading to jerky/rough shifting

I had my TLX in with the service department for about 6/7 hours and when they returned to me, they detailed that they had done an ECU update and also done a sort of transmissions re-learn process. They mentioned that something had to be re-calibrated and re-learned though a driving sequence where they drove for about 20-30 miles. I will try to edit this post and upload a copy of the service invoice they provided with their comments back when I get home from work.

Overall, the ECU update and their work has been an improvement to when I originally purchased my TLX back in September. The shifting feels more firm and responsive. However, I am still experiencing some of the issues described above. I will be contacting my dealership this week to see if there are other things that can be done before I bring it back in for service.

I love this car and its my first ever car purchase, so for the money I paid, I really wish I didn't have to experience these transmission issues. I recognize that it is a new model with lots of new technology, so I will give it some time for Acura to hopefully come up with permanent fixes.

Good luck everyone!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting to the forums after joining today, but I wanted to start by adding onto this thread and confirming that there is indeed an ECU update available for at least the I4 trim of the TLX.
Welcome to the Forum! I am glad to see you made your first post.

Thanks for confirming that the ECU update exists and thanks for the update on your TLX.

:)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Please keep us updated, especially for the I4 contingent. Great details abpve TY.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to provide a quick edit to my original post earlier that it was NOT a ECU update that they performed, but rather a TCM update. The service invoice that they provided back to me states that my Stroke Sensor was out of calibration. So they performed a stroke sensor learn procedure and also updated the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with available software.

I've attached the portion of the invoice that I'm describing.

I plan to contact the my dealership this week because sadly a lot of the issues are still persisting. I am starting to get quite frustrated with these transmission issues...:(

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time poster, long time reader.

I've had all of the exact same issues listed above with my TLX I-4 since leasing it in early October. It's nice to know that I wasn't the only one experiencing these headaches. I've driven 3 TSXs since 2005 and have been extremely disappointed with the TLX. I received the first ECU update in early November and had it back in for service for two weeks in December. They ran all of the tests and sent "snapshots" to Acura HQ, but nothing was fixed, and I haven't heard peep from them in 3 weeks.

So, earlier this week I figured I'd test out the Sport+ mode in a last ditch effort to re-train my transmission. To my surprise, it seems to have helped a lot of the jerky shifting and slow gear selection response times from gears 1-4.

I went on two test drives in Sport+ mode and made all of my shifts with the paddles (up and down). I didn't push it to redline, but made most of my shift points in the 4.5-5K range. My first run of this test had very slow and jerky shifts from 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4. But after two 10 minute drives to the grocery and back, there's a noticeable difference in smoother and quicker shifting when I went back to the regular Sport mode. I also haven't noticed the terrible lunging affect when making my first two full stops from a cold start. It does still have the 2-3 second lag time when shifting from R to D, but it's a much more pleasing driving experience overall.

I did another Sport+ drive to work today and noticed that the paddle shifts in the first 4 gears are also smoother and faster now that it's been retrained.

Hopefully this helps out others for a quick transmission fix. Let me know if this trick works for anyone else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went on two test drives in Sport+ mode and made all of my shifts with the paddles (up and down). I didn't push it to redline, but made most of my shift points in the 4.5-5K range. My first run of this test had very slow and jerky shifts from 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4. But after two 10 minute drives to the grocery and back, there's a noticeable difference in smoother and quicker shifting when I went back to the regular Sport mode. I also haven't noticed the terrible lunging affect when making my first two full stops from a cold start. It does still have the 2-3 second lag time when shifting from R to D, but it's a much more pleasing driving experience overall.
Thank you very much for experimenting and coming up with a potential fix using the Sport+ mode. I had not even considered this, but I am going to go home today and try to give this a shot. So as you mentioned, you performed all of the shifting (up and down) using the paddle shifters alone? And you were just driving normally on public streets with stop lights and all? Or were you driving it in an area where you could accelerate through all 8 gears without speeding up/slowing down. I'm just trying to mimic what you had done so I can hopefully replicate some of your same results

I too have brought it into the dealership twice now, had the TCM update and they re-learned the 'stroke sensor'. The 2nd time I took it in, they basically just told me that they ran a diagnostic tool on it while doing a test drive and noticed that it had some transmission issues, but that Acura did not have a fix for them at this time. I have also been waiting to hear back for a few weeks now.

I also live in Atlanta - I'm curious - what dealership did you purchase from/get service done at?

Thanks again for creative thinking and posting to the forums!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're welcome. Hopefully this trick helps.

So as you mentioned, you performed all of the shifting (up and down) using the paddle shifters alone? And you were just driving normally on public streets with stop lights and all? Or were you driving it in an area where you could accelerate through all 8 gears without speeding up/slowing down.
I did all of the shifting with the paddles, except for downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop. And this was all done on side roads where I only got up to about 45 mph max with about 10 complete stops during the 10 minute run. I think I only got to 6th gear once. I figured that it's always been super smooth from 5th through 8th gear, so I was focusing on 1st-4th mostly. The shifting was fairly rough for the first run with 3rd to 4th being the worst. 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th were the slowest in response times of me hitting the paddle and the shifting actually happening. Which started to back up my hair-brained theory that the CPU running the transmission software is getting overwhelmed crunching all of the data.

Sport+ always felt like it was holding on to gears way too long, so I figured that I could get 100% paddle shifts to see how jerky the shifts were when I was picking the shift points. I wan't really expecting to fix anything with this test when I first gave it a shot. Driving in this style also made the TLX A LOT more fun to drive.

I leased the car and do all of my maintenance at Ed Voyles Acura on Peachtree Industrial. I've been with those guys since 2002 (my first Acura was an RSX-S, and I miss her daily) and have had a great experience with all my cars and services up until now. From what I can tell, this issue lies 100% on Acura while the dealerships have been forced to send data to HQ and site on their hands and wait.

Let me know if this Sport+ trick works for you. I drove to lunch today and it was the smoothest it's ever driven since I got the car. Good luck!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to the Forum! It's nice to see you made two very helpful first posts.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Very interesting! I wonder how long the tranny continues to 'learn', assuming that is whats happening?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried it and it seems to work.

I use sport+ for 3 days, and a week after it, the transmission is behaving a lot better, not yet perfect but 85% better, youpie !

Try it and let us know how it goes for you !

·
Registered
681 Posts

I did all of the shifting with the paddles, except for downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop. And this was all done on side roads where I only got up to about 45 mph max with about 10 complete stops during the 10 minute run. I think I only got to 6th gear once. I figured that it's always been super smooth from 5th through 8th gear, so I was focusing on 1st-4th mostly. The shifting was fairly rough for the first run with 3rd to 4th being the worst. 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th were the slowest in response times of me hitting the paddle and the shifting actually happening. Which started to back up my hair-brained theory that the CPU running the transmission software is getting overwhelmed crunching all of the data.

Sport+ always felt like it was holding on to gears way too long, so I figured that I could get 100% paddle shifts to see how jerky the shifts were when I was picking the shift points. I wan't really expecting to fix anything with this test when I first gave it a shot. Driving in this style also made the TLX A LOT more fun to drive.

I leased the car and do all of my maintenance at Ed Voyles Acura on Peachtree Industrial. I've been with those guys since 2002 (my first Acura was an RSX-S, and I miss her daily) and have had a great experience with all my cars and services up until now. From what I can tell, this issue lies 100% on Acura while the dealerships have been forced to send data to HQ and site on their hands and wait.

Let me know if this Sport+ trick works for you. I drove to lunch today and it was the smoothest it's ever driven since I got the car. Good luck!
@Roocar - how many mile on your TLX when you did this?

I may try on my V6 to work out the 2-3 bump, and the 'root-pulling' 1st gear.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I tried it and it seems to work.

I use sport+ for 3 days, and a week after it, the transmission is behaving a lot better, not yet perfect but 85% better, youpie !

Try it and let us know how it goes for you !
How many miles on your vehicle when you did this please?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had around 2,100 miles on the car when I did this test.

I've done it a few more times since then after getting a couple of issues with 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. It still is a little jumpy when the car is cold, but it's driving A LOT better when it warms up. I still get the little lunge on my first stop once in a while, but there's been a huge improvement in the driving. I was also having a lot of problems where it felt like the clutch was slipping on my first four shifts, and this would happen after the car was fully warmed up. The Sport+ trick has helped tremendously with that problem.

I've been using the paddle shifters for downshifts in regular Sport mode too. It always wants to be in way too high of a gear after slowing down and/or coming to an incline. This could also help reprogram the ECU.

Hope this helps guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was around 8000km when I did that, i was doing between 15km to 25 km per ride twice a day for 3 days. I was using the shifting pedal everytime, and it was fun :)

Have fun !

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was around 8000km when I did that, i was doing between 15km to 25 km per ride twice a day for 3 days. I was using the shifting pedal everytime, and it was fun :)

Have fun !
I will try the Sport+ routine for a while and see if that works. I tried the TSB procedure for the Jeep Cherokee with the Chrysler-Made version of the transmission which has the same ZF controller and it definitely does have impact. My 2nd-3rd got somewhat better but my downshifts in the lower gears got worse and I now have a slight lurch which occurs the instant after the vehicle comes to a complete stop. The Cherokee procedure involves driving in Sport+ in certain gears with even pedal/speeds for prescribed amounts of time. I can't recommend it because of the side effects though.

This is the related thread -

http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/complaints/6753-tlx-v6-9at-2nd-3rd-bump-3.html

It seems unlikely to me that dealers will want to go through the hassle of doing a driving routine without some clear direction e.g. service bulletin from Acura. I would have thought it unlikely that Acura would not have had some exposure to these issues during development as well. The transmission is a marvel in my opinion and does many things right, but some "official" advice is needed from Acura on the subject of transmission break-in routine, teaching, and resolution for the rough shifts.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ty and will advise!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a couple tidbits... If you had the clutch wear in process/software update done... I highly recommend you have your ATF Type 2.0 changed at your next service. I had this done on mine after the wear in process and the build up on the magnet was equal to a car with 30k miles (mine has 5k).

Second,
Ask that the tech force run the "Stroke Adjustment" on the HDS for the transmission. It made a worlds difference on mine.

And for the person who said Sport + holds out gears too long, it's designed to be shifted like a manual in Sport + (with paddle shifters). Sport is essentially the same thing, the car just takes control of shifting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts