1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so lets say i park in a parking lot and at home:

- stop at the parking spot.
- pull the (electronic) hand brake
- do i need to shift to park as well? (press on P)
- press power button to turn off the car
- get out and lock the door

so....do i need to press P? or will the car automatically shifts to park when i turn the car off and get out?

·
Registered
423 Posts
As your in the V6, regardless of what you have selected (Drive, reverse) it should shift to P the minute you press the power button.
So, if you don't engage the parking break, the minute you hit that red button the vehicle will engage the parking break.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i dont even need to pull the parking brake lever as well?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
So, if you don't engage the parking break, the minute you hit that red button the vehicle will engage the parking break.
Really. I did not know that. :)

Is this just on the V6?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Technically no you don't. If you are in anything but park when you press the off switch it will put it straight into park, though it will not fully turn off the electrics.

So you will have to press the button again before you exit the vehicle. But it will switch to park automatically when you press the power button.

And yes just V6, its becuase that's electronic wheras 4 banger is a lever.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Technically no you don't. If you are in anything but park when you press the off switch it will put it straight into park, though it will not fully turn off the electrics.

So you will have to press the button again before you exit the vehicle. But it will switch to park automatically when you press the power button.

And yes just V6, its becuase that's electronic wheras 4 banger is a lever.
I could see the switching to park would be unique to the V6, but the switching on the parking brake automatically when you stop the engine could be done on the I4 as well. Isn't our Electronic parking brakes the same?

Just curious.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im asking this question because i am supposed to teach my 62-yr old mom how to drive it, and teach her the most straight forward and no-frills way to park, stop, and get out of the car.

looks like in the end you still need to shift to P to avoid putting the car into accessory mode when pressing the power button....

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Why don't you just put it in park anyway? Is it that hard to put the parking brake on and put the car into park?

I think it's more a scenario where people are learning things about the car. I've seen my grandfather leave a car in drive in a '92 Hyundai Excel after he shut it off and naturally it rolled away. By the car automatically going into Park when the driver shits it off it definitely adds safety feature.

So much to learn about the car.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Why don't you just put it in park anyway? Is it that hard to put the parking brake on and put the car into park?
yes, it's just one more step, but to a 62-yr old lady, its one more tedious step to put into her brain

also, we also drive a lexus which also have a push button start, and that car shifts to park automatically when you turn off the power switch so she is used to not needing to shift to park herself.

just wondering if the same thing can be done for the TLX. but since it goes into accessory mode if you do not shift to park, i guess it's not the same....with is okay, just one more thing to put into my mom's brain, that's all

·
Registered
222 Posts
too bad it's not as simple as the Lexus is, I have noticed Acura can be like that, not as well thought out as other vehicles are.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, the lexus i have is the CT200h, which is the cheapest model in their lineup, so its not exactly fancy or technology-packed either

·
Registered
666 Posts
im asking this question because i am supposed to teach my 62-yr old mom how to drive it, and teach her the most straight forward and no-frills way to park, stop, and get out of the car.
Good luck with it. My wife, senior to your mom has no interest in driving it. In 10 years she only drove my previous car 3 times. She just gets into her car drives and puts in gas out of necessity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The TLX will shift to park automatically for many scenario.

One of my pet peeves is pulling into my driveway and the engine shutdown even when I'm very light on the brake. When i press the park button it will restart the engine and then shift to park. I now just stop. Engine shuts down and i press engine off and it will shift to park on its own without restarting engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I haven't decide which TLX to buy yet, but I did download the 2015 Acura TLX app which contains a series of videos describing how to use its various features. One of the videos is about the electronic shifter and about halfway thru that video (about 90 seconds in) it discusses shifting into park. The videos make the car much more user friendly.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hi,

I haven't decide which TLX to buy yet, but I did download the 2015 Acura TLX app which contains a series of videos describing how to use its various features. One of the videos is about the electronic shifter and about halfway thru that video (about 90 seconds in) it discusses shifting into park. The videos make the car much more user friendly.
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post

There are loads of videos and links to video in the forum. Feel free to ask any questions after looking around and reading the threads. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another instance when the transmission will automatically shift to Park is if you open the driver door with the engine in gear and the car running...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts