Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums here and on AcuraZine and it seems a few people have had success with converting:
  • DTS DVD-A discs to DTSCD discs (or buying DTSCD versions)
  • DTS DVD to FLAC on USB on the RDX, but it appears TLX (at least 2015-2017) doesn't support FLAC.
Not wanting to carry a bunch of CDs since the TLX has a single disc player, I also investigated converting the DTS 5.1 music so it could be played from USB on the TLX and was successful with that as well.

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but if there's any interest I'm happy to detail the process - just let me know.
(Essentially, once you have the DTS files from the DVD, you can use foobar2000 to convert the files to 6 channel (5.1) AAC files that are playable from the USB).

Attached is sample file converted from DTS to AAC that can be placed on a USB drive and played on the TLX. I had to give the file a ".pdf" extension to be able to upload/attach it. When you download it, rename the extension to ".m4a" before putting the file on the USB drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
OMFG!!!!! I've been trying for years to find a way to get my DTS CDs out of my car. I've tried FLAC and WAV and looked at hardware options. But I never thought to try m4a. The funny thing is, for a while, I had my entire multi channel collection in m4a format for my Apple TV, but changed it to FLAC because of ATV issues. Now I have a solution for my car, if I can find a USB big enough. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! How can I repay you?!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad the info was helpful! I'm using a 64GB USB drive (not full yet).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad the info was helpful! I'm using a 64GB USB drive (not full yet).
I'm thinking of getting a couple of 32's so that it is easier to manage. What are you ripping them at? The 128 that I was testing them at actually sounds pretty good. With road noise, I might not need to go much higher. Then again, I should probably test a higher rate before I get too far down the road. Did you try lossless? I would have to get a 256 gig if I went that route.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, I've answered my own question... The TLX (at least the 2015) doesn't support Apple Lossless files. So, m4a files, ripped at 320 work just fine and will be where I'm headed. I just ordered a 128 gig drive. It isn't the perfect solution: The audio isn't gapless like the DTS CDs are, and it seems to have a weird sorting thing going on. But, the files sound great and I just brought in 150 CDs from my car. No more ripping DTS CDs, just to listen in the car a couple of times. Mo more trying to find a CD while I'm driving! The crazy thing is, with this pandemic, I'm hardly ever driving my car. But my long drives will be coming again soon. Can't wait!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tested a few different bitrates between 256 kbps to about 1200 kbps and I could tell the difference along the way - much less so as the bitrates got higher past 400 kbps. Since I have a handful of DTSCDs and I have plenty of space on my 64GB drive, I decided to use the apple aac encoder at highest quality setting , which gives around 860-920 kbps. Note that I was doing the listening tests with my car off (acc mode), parked in the garage and doors/windows shut - it was very quiet. Driving around, there's always going to be a higher noise floor - even though the TLX is quiet for its class.

Unfortunately, we can't use lossless on the USB as it's not supported by the TLX audio system. The RDX supports lossless (FLAC) format - but I don't have an RDX in the family to test.

Since I/you have the original DTS source, ripping at anything above 320kbps would be fine in my opinion - and my ears.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ripped at 320 work just fine and will be where I'm headed. I just ordered a 128 gig drive. It isn't the perfect solution: The audio isn't gapless like the DTS CDs are, and it seems to have a weird sorting thing going on. But, the files sound great and I just brought in 150 CDs from my car.
Awesome - looks like great progress. Good lord, 150 CDs !! That is a lot to handle and move around... and I'm annoyed with 10 CDs! I agree that 320kbps would be best in your case.

I forgot about the gapless issue ... my Eagles live CD pays fine (gapless) in the CD drive, but not USB. I think that has more to do with the playback software/capability on the USB playback implementation in general than how the file is put down on the USB drive. I haven't chased this down the rabbit hole, but I believe it's the nature of USB. The only way I could think to get around that would be to make one large aac (.m4a) file, but that means you wouldn't be able to skip between songs. Probably reserved for the purest/die-hard album listening situation.

On the order of playback - I think I can help you with that. The USB playback order on the TLX (and other honda/acura cars) is not by filename, but by the order in which the files were written to the USB. After I have copied/updated my files on the USB drive, I use a utility to sort the FAT (File Allocation Table = table of contents) on the USB. This just shuffles the filename order and doesn't touch the files themselves. You can get the utility from this DriveSort link.

Double-check by doing a small test with say 2-3 albums and 3-4 songs from each. Use long filenames for the folders and songs (as you customarily would). Create the 2-3 album folders on the USB drive and then copy the ripped songs under each respective folder (album) on the USB drive.

Run the DriveSort utility and do the following:
  1. Click "Disk" menu option -> "Open" and select the USB disk
  2. Click the arrow on the "Sort current folder" button and check "Long name sort" and "Subdirectories" options
  3. Click the arrow on the "Save current folder" button and check "Subdirectories" option
  4. Click "Folder" -> "Sort"
  5. Click "Folder" -> "Save" (you may see a thin red progress bar near the top, but it may be too quick)
  6. Click "Disk" -> "Close"
Now your files should be stored/played in alphabetical order within the USB FAT.

If you have any questions on the above, just shoot away. Hope it works out!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks! I figured when I noticed that the folders were out of order that it was probably based on the date they were written. Didn't know about this utility, so thank you... again!

Gapless isn't as annoying in the car because I'm sort of concentrating on driving while listening. At home, kicked back on my couch, it is real annoying. I can live with it in the car.

Yes, I have a really large collection of multi channel files and have to pick and choose which ones I want in the car. Even with all of this space now, I'm concerned that too many albums will make the file list unwieldy and painful. Lots of experimenting to do. But cleaning up the discs in the car fells soooooo good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to keep writing about my experiences here because someday someone may find it useful. I learned 2 things today. First, DriveSort doesn't work on all flash drives. Not a problem. I found SDSorter, also free, and it not only works, but you don't have to remember a bunch of steps. It knows what you want to do and has it all preset for you. Secondly, apparently the TLX doesn't support all flash drives eitehr. My 128 failed. So, now I guess I'll step back and try and find a smaller older style drive. More later...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps you checked this already, but wanted to suggest making sure the USB drive is FAT32 formatted. By default, Windows will format NTFS or exFAT ... the latter having mixed results, the former never works.

Some USB drives 16GB, 32Gb come formatted with FAT32, but larger ones do not. The largest I have used is 64GB and I used a FAT32 utility specifically to format the drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Perhaps you checked this already, but wanted to suggest making sure the USB drive is FAT32 formatted. By default, Windows will format NTFS or exFAT ... the latter having mixed results, the former never works.

Some USB drives 16GB, 32Gb come formatted with FAT32, but larger ones do not. The largest I have used is 64GB and I used a FAT32 utility specifically to format the drive.
You're right. I hadn't thought about that. I found a nice free tool that converted it to FAT32 called FAT32 Format Utility from Ridgecrop Consultants and all is good. You should check out SDSorter, it is fast and easier to use than DriveSort. Thanks again!

I've got about 60 albums moved over now and it all seems to work well. We'll see how well it works when it hits 100. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got about 60 albums moved over now and it all seems to work well. We'll see how well it works when it hits 100.
Excellent progress! I'll download SDSorter and try it the next time I update my drive. The only thing remaining is to see how responsive/fast the TLX is at displaying the tracks/track listing on your larger USB.

I wish it was faster, but I think all car USB interfaces suck for speed despite how much the OEM head units go for. (e.g. mobile phones cost less to build and buy @ retail yet are more capable than OEM head units).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay. I'm at a good stopping point, with 135 albums downloaded. When I started the car and it did its initial search, I was a bit concerned because it only saw 31 albums. But then I searched again and it found 75 and after about a minute it found all 135. So, it's a bit slow, but I can live with that. I'll probably try and keep it under 150 albums just so that it doesn't become unreasonable to find things. Now I just need to find an excuse to get out of the house and drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts