Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a chance to try the TLX in the snow yet? It started to lightly snow today and it got me wondering what the best mode to drive in would be. I was cross shopping the TLX with the Cadillac ATS that had an actual "snow" mode. I would assume that eco mode would provide the most stable driving.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Best mode is winter tires.. No hard acceleration or aggressive downshifting. Econ or Normal mode is suitable for this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did anybody try driving in snow with the AWD v6 and all season tire that come with the car?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Did anybody try driving in snow with the AWD v6 and all season tire that come with the car?
I haven't heard or see anything about that but what i do know for a fact is that with any all season tire in like new condition in winter, you'll be good enough.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
....depending on where you live.

Don't forget that all season tires are made from a different rubber compound than winter tires. In cold weather your braking distance is greater with all seasons than with winter tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just put Nokians on this past Saturday. As for driving mode, I don't care for Normal mode. Econ or Sport work best for me. Alternatively, Sport+ and starting in 2nd gear is good for bad snow weather.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the opportunity to drive in snow the last couple of days and i must say i'm impressed. it is very difficult to have the car slide. The AWD drive really works well with the all seasons tires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, I had a chance to try it in the snow today. The roads were pretty slick and the TLX handled them very well with the stock all season tires. I will be getting winter tires for next year but I was quite happy with the car today. It felt very stable and composed when changing lanes and taking corners. I managed to get it to slide a couple of times when accelerating from a stop and turning. Need to have a little fun with it before picking up the kids :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, we got a nasty weather in Toronto late afternoon and our evening commute was a nightmare. Good test for my FWD TLX, though. It was OK, but the OEM tires can't compare to winter tires performance for sure. Lots of traction control light flashing, especially at take offs. AWD would be very helpful on a day like today.
What I also noticed was a high level of noise coming from the wheel wells while driving in slush and wet snow. I was surprised because I got used to a very quite ride but it felt like I was just about to get hit by whatever was coming from under the tires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I noticed the snow/slush hitting under the car was quite loud also. I was a bit surprised by that. What I really enjoyed was the heated windshield. It was great having a perfectly clear view and no ice buildup on the wipers or at the bottom of the windshield.

Reactions: gary325

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, I had a chance to try it in the snow today. The roads were pretty slick and the TLX handled them very well with the stock all season tires. I will be getting winter tires for next year but I was quite happy with the car today.
If you are eventually going to get them why wait till next year? Check the PM I sent you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are looking for all-season tires, I would recommend you premium tires. They’re the ideal combination of performance in wet and dry conditions. Additionally, they’re known to be very comfortable and quiet compared to performance tires.

The top 4 All-Season tires for cars are:

Continental ProContact EcoPlus+ Michelin Energy Saver A/S Hankook Optimo H727 Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

The Continental, Michelin and Hankook tires all scored a rating of 82 in Consumer Reports test, while the Goodyear tires netted a score of 80.

I hope it helps and give some more information about the tires too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We had some snow over the last week and it has been cold enough that a lot of side streets and minor roads still aren't completely clear. My TLX V6 AWD handles great, even better than my Honda Pilot (which used to be my "go to" vehicle when the weather got nasty). The Pilot's tires have less than 5,000 miles on them, so it isn't a case of new tires vs old tires.

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the TLX feels more precise than the Pilot in the snow.

For example, on a turn when there's a lot of snow on the road the rear of the Pilot slides out a bit. It was never enough to make me worry or feel like the car was out of control, but it was there. The TLX seems to do a lot better in this same situation, sliding less or not at all.

Acura did a fantastic job with the AWD.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We had some snow over the last week and it has been cold enough that a lot of side streets and minor roads still aren't completely clear. My TLX V6 AWD handles great, even better than my Honda Pilot (which used to be my "go to" vehicle when the weather got nasty). The Pilot's tires have less than 5,000 miles on them, so it isn't a case of new tires vs old tires.

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the TLX feels more precise than the Pilot in the snow.

For example, on a turn when there's a lot of snow on the road the rear of the Pilot slides out a bit. It was never enough to make me worry or feel like the car was out of control, but it was there. The TLX seems to do a lot better in this same situation, sliding less or not at all.

Acura did a fantastic job with the AWD.
Agreed. I have a 2004 MDX, a 2015 RDX, and the SH-AWD TLX. All run winter tires. The TLX is the most sure-footed of the lot. We had about 8" of snow here today, and the driveway and first 5 km (3 mi.) of roads aren't plowed yet. We just went out for a family outing... I took the RDX because of the higher clearance (I was worried about the front spoiler on the TLX... I didn't want to be using it as a snowplow) Fun, Fun, Fun!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Agreed. I have a 2004 MDX, a 2015 RDX, and the SH-AWD TLX. All run winter tires. The TLX is the most sure-footed of the lot. We had about 8" of snow here today, and the driveway and first 5 km (3 mi.) of roads aren't plowed yet. We just went out for a family outing... I took the RDX because of the higher clearance (I was worried about the front spoiler on the TLX... I didn't want to be using it as a snowplow) Fun, Fun, Fun!
Good call on that. I'm not sure if when we get our TLX's that the paint is fulled cured as apparently it takes months. Then there the material the front spoiler is made out of... the pressure put onto the front end by the vehicle pushing on snow might result in what's called 'spider webs'

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the opportunity to drive in snow the last couple of days and i must say i'm impressed. it is very difficult to have the car slide. The AWD drive really works well with the all seasons tires.
Do you have the Goodyear Eagle LS2 18 inch tires?

I have read in tire reviews, how they are suppose to be so bad on snow and ice. Many describe as "dangerous" and "unsafe" we had about 10 inches of snow the other day and the car handled quite well, I thought. I have the SH AWD version of the TLX. Are there any other experiences with the Goodyear tires and snow/ice?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have read in tire reviews, how they are suppose to be so bad on snow and ice. Many describe as "dangerous" and "unsafe" we had about 10 inches of snow the other day and the car handled quite well, I thought. I have the SH AWD version of the TLX. Are there any other experiences with the Goodyear tires and snow/ice?
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post.

Glad to hear you are driving through the snow safely.

Where are you located, geographically? :)

Please tell us about yourself and your TLX.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I agree; while my Western Canadian city has had a relatively mild winter, during periods of snowfall I found traction with the SH-AWD and LS2 combination to be quite good. and not really any worse than my previous Accord with winter tires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a FWD 2.4 Tech with the Goodyear Eagle tires. They are pretty much useless in the snow. Hoping to find a set of OEM takeoff wheels for a separate set of snows for next season.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the V6 AWD, with Michelin X-ice3. I find that Sport mode puts out too much torque too quickly and the wheels spin out a bit. Driving around in Econ or Normal works great though.

I have been able to get the car to slide out a bit before the system kicks in and the grip comes back strong. I'm pretty happy, with the snow performance. I have also had to make some emergency maneuvers due to other drivers sliding out and I'll say I'm glad I have a car that can move when it needs to despite the snow. I do have to give some credit to my tires.

From stopped to go: No issues at all. Always the first one out ahead of the pack.
Lane changing over snowpiles: No issues at all, car powers through the snow.
Driving through 15-30cm of fresh snowy roads: No issues at all, car powers through the snow.
90 Degree turns: Expect to slide a bit, or just slow down.
Stopping: It's winter, give your self plenty of room to slow down, SH-AWD isn't going to help you here.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts