Acura TLX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2015 Base so probably not under warranty anymore. I need to go in about vibration at highway speeds though. I heard there's a bulletin about it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I had the bulletin done... it helped slightly. What did help more was when I got new tires... vibration was eliminated for me. Perhaps due to the bulletin AND new tires latter.

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
My seat trim has also just started to show the dreaded 'half circle', which I guess means it will break apart shortly. I'm out of warranty, but going to try and take it in anyway. I tend to wonder if this happens more to people who don't use the automatic seat when they enter or leave the vehicle. I never liked it and turned it off on day one.

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
Just a thought, what is the seat position on those that have had this failure? Does the metal part move relative to the plastic part? Is the seat all the way up/down, forward/backward? Do you have the seat go all the way back to "load" into the seat?
Here's a simple tests:
  1. Make sure your preset (1 or 2) is set after your seat is in the correct position.
  2. Manually move the seat all the way up or down, forward or backward.
  3. Lock the car
  4. Unlock the car and observe your seat movement.
  5. Does this movement force the metal part to come in contact with the plastic part?
I have not looked at my seat plastic part (I believe it is NOT broken, or has a white circle), but I do all the driving (~55,000 miles/88,000 km), do not slide the seat back to load/unload, driving location is almost all the way back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a thought, what is the seat position on those that have had this failure? Does the metal part move relative to the plastic part? Is the seat all the way up/down, forward/backward? Do you have the seat go all the way back to "load" into the seat?
Here's a simple tests:
  1. Make sure your preset (1 or 2) is set after your seat is in the correct position.
  3. Lock the car
  5. Does this movement force the metal part to come in contact with the plastic part?
I have not looked at my seat plastic part (I believe it is NOT broken, or has a white circle), but I do all the driving (~55,000 miles/88,000 km), do not slide the seat back to load/unload, driving location is almost all the way back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It happened to my 2015 TLX a week ago. Metal hook has interference with plastic. After many use it weakens and breaks. Hope it is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's a simple tests:
  3. Lock the car
No it does not. There is an interference. As you sit on the seat it pushes down as it should and metal hook goes against the plastic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitely a warranty fix. It's happened too frequently.
According to Acura of Columbus GA, it does no warrant a fix by the dealer. One maintenance consultant stated that Acura have reenforced the plastic covering due to this complaint, another stated that the part, even though defective does not mean that the dealership should replace it and that the manager stated this. Yet they are willing to charge me $40+ to purchase the covering and $60+ to install it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
An odd thing happened the other day.

I got into the car and noticed that a piece of plastic fell off the base of the drivers's seat. Previously there was a white circle that appeared before the break. Apparently an inside piece of the chair was pushing against the plastic and it finally broke.

Wonder if warranty will cover it or if they will say I am too fat?:eek:

I will find out on my next oil change.
They did not cover mine over 36000 miles. They told me it was caused by sitting in front of the seat. I told them HS. They said it is not safety or emission therefore will cost you $600.00 and it will break again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine wasn't broken, but did crack when I sat on the edge of the seat. (I'm 6'2/190.) My dealer replaced under warranty. The color is slightly off, but I guess it's better than the "smile."

They also replaced the driver's side B-pillar trim which no longer set flush.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Gee that is better than my dealer.... when replacing something in the trunk they didn't put the plastic side trim on fully... so I figured I would just do it myself to save a trip... its the trim piece that is by the rear window... so tight to work I got it back on fully but after breaking one of the clips.... argggggg

·
Registered
4 Posts

I got into the car and noticed that a piece of plastic fell off the base of the drivers's seat. Previously there was a white circle that appeared before the break. Apparently an inside piece of the chair was pushing against the plastic and it finally broke.

I took mine in today - 35,000miles on 2015 - they said its not covered under warranty by time - Wants 250.00 to replace - Said bad design, even if you fix it it will break again - Since a bad design it should be recalled and fixed so it won't keep happening ...Not happy as I bought mine used and only had it 18 months:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
According to Acura of Columbus GA, it does no warrant a fix by the dealer. One maintenance consultant stated that Acura have reenforced the plastic covering due to this complaint, another stated that the part, even though defective does not mean that the dealership should replace it and that the manager stated this. Yet they are willing to charge me $40+ to purchase the covering and $60+ to install it.
Nalley Acura in Marietta was 259.00 to replace it

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
Acura considers: This is only a cosmetic part. You are not the original owner. Unknown how much money you have spent with this Acura dealer, especially since you only had the vehicle 18 months. Because of the above, the service manager will not usually stick out his neck to cover this part. On the other hand if you were the original owner and serviced your vehicle with them often (spending lots of money), then the service manager would have an incentive to cover this under warranty. Yes, only the service manager can cover a part or labor on a vehicle when it is out of warranty. Keep in mind, Acura will ask the service manager to justify what he did. So flirting or buying him lunch won't really work. I worked 10 years as a service manager and pretty much seen it all.

Here is my suggestion: Keep returning to this Acura dealer. Start having them do your oil changes and various maintenances. Once you have spent around $1000 with them (being a good customer) then ask the service manager again to repair this seat part. No guarantee, but he might.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nalley Acura in Marietta was 259.00 to replace it
We have 2015, the same seat issue and have been immensely disappointed with the service at Nalley Acura of Marietta. We also have an Infiniti and have had great service at Nalley Infiniti right down the street.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered the drivers side seat trim piece - $30.00
- took me and a friend less than 45 min to replace - more because we had to find the way to detatch the trim piece (instructions on the internet were terrible) - once we found the screw to detach the front piece it was pretty simple - And Acura said there was no way I could get the part for $30.00 - Acura justifing Nalley Acura charging me 259.00 to replace the part. 2 screws and remove the seatbelt bolt - unclip everything... attach the seat belt through the slit in the new piece, snap it back together, put your 2 screws back in and your in business! Lets see how long this one lasts!
More upset that Anthony with Acura customer care was so rude. Will definately rethink my next purchase being an Acura! My Acura TSX was totaled in Dec which I had driven for 10 years - (Loved it...never an issue) 3 trips to Nalley Acura to replace it with no luck ....
their sales force was so rude ...so I found a used TLX w/ 12000 miles - like new! I will say dealing with the Toyota dealership that had it for sale was so easy and pleasant to deal with ....will definately go back there! MY BF needs a new Tundra :)

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
If someone would consider creating a step by step repair of this plastic part with many pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the same issue when my acura tlx 2016 was in warranty and they fixed the issues at no cost but now my acura is not in waranty and they do not want to fix the issues for less than $460. This is inaceptable when this is not our fault but a design flaw. I am outraged that there is no recall claim created by now. I definitely do not aant to pay $460 every other year just to have a fake premium car like acura tlx.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue when my acura tlx 2016 was in warranty and they fixed the issues at no cost but now my acura is not in waranty and they do not want to fix the issues for less than $460. This is inaceptable when this is not our fault but a design flaw. I am outraged that there is no recall claim created by now. I definitely do not aant to pay $460 every other year just to have a fake premium car like acura tlx.
I already made a complaint with the NHTSA and would appreciate if you can create a complaint as well so this injustice is made visible. I would recommend not to buy acura untill they fix the issue. It is not acceptable to be sent home for a design flaw that can help you cut your fingers in their hole.
To file a complaint you can go to the following URL: File a complaint with NHTSA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have this same problem with my '18 TLX - Has anyone found a DIY instructional to replace the plastic lower seat trim? I've purchased the part but haven't had a chance to try and replace.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts