Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An odd thing happened the other day.

I got into the car and noticed that a piece of plastic fell off the base of the drivers's seat. Previously there was a white circle that appeared before the break. Apparently an inside piece of the chair was pushing against the plastic and it finally broke.

Wonder if warranty will cover it or if they will say I am too fat?:eek:

I will find out on my next oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Agreed - warranty!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I see there is a metal piece right under where it broke. I'm assuming that this is what the part was pressing against that caused it to break?

If so, does that metal piece move separately as you move the seat up and down or forward and back? I'm wondering if seat position could be playing a role in these trim pieces breaking.

On another note, if these were to break outside of warranty they are only about $30-40.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I see there is a metal piece right under where it broke. I'm assuming that this is what the part was pressing against that caused it to break?

If so, does that metal piece move separately as you move the seat up and down or forward and back? I'm wondering if seat position could be playing a role in these trim pieces breaking.

On another note, if these were to break outside of warranty they are only about $30-40.
Good point.
@Summest is your seat all the way down?

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you have any issue at all with getting warranty coverage on that, let us know. In all the 10+ cars that I've ever owned (new and VERY used) I have never had that happen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me. The metal bar now exposed by the missing plastic seems to be above the plane of the rest of the part. In addition, the piece that broke off has a tab designed to rest on the metal, pushing that section even higher. Now I wonder if I get the dealer to replace the part with out altering anything, will it be the start of a chronic cycle, needing to replace it every 9 months.

Can any forum member with a connection to Acura find out if it might have been a material problem with the plastic used for a certain lot of parts or if a design problem is at play?

·
Registered
59 Posts
After a little surfing of other Acura forums, I found the same problem, and it also appeared in the TL. See quote below,

"I guess I broke the seat on my 2013 TL recently. I'm 6'1" 230lbs and
I don't remember hearing it break, I just saw the crack one day.
Acura is replacing it under warranty. Good to know it's a cheap fix
though if I ever do it again.
They said it's probably the way I move across the seat when I get in
and out?
In 35 years of driving I've never seen a seat crack like that before."

This is bothersome. Acura must be aware of the warranty claims on this issue but has made no effort to prevent the recurrence of the problem on the TL or TLX, and continues to produce units of the same design, destined to fail. I am happy that this is the only problem I have experienced thus far, but knowing this "luxury" brand turns a blind eye to details such as this shakes my confidence in Acura.

The car's quiet, smooth ride, performance, and technology are certainly admirable, but luxury and quality lie in attention to detail, every detail.

I will show my dealer my seat about 4 weeks before my next service, so I can be sure they will be able to replace the part at the same service visit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This surely is a defect of some sort with the metal frame sitting right at the break point. I have never seen this in any previous Honda I've had, and I driven Honda Civics, Accords, and Pilots exclusively since 2005 and until getting the TLX.

Seems like a thicker grade plastic cover would do the trick.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I should have used the search tool but I thought I was unique. :)

Yes, my salesman took my picture to the service department and said that this has been seen before locally. It will be covered under warranty. I just need to drive in and they will order the part. Then they can replace it on my next oil change.

I was wondering how to explain this when I go to return it on my lease. It started out as a white circle. I was wondering how could I scratch it like that. Apparently the pressure was too much and the plastic broke.

The metal piece that pushed out looks solid. I cannot remember if I am sitting on the floor or not. I set the seat position when I got the car and never changed it. I do use the auto slide when I get in and out of the car.

I was surprised to hear that someone said the part only costs $30 since hardly anything is cheap on an Acura. Although the cargo hooks were $12 but to install it cost $100 or so.

Anyhow, I am glad to hear it is covered under warranty.

I am really happy with my 2015 TLX. The car has performed very well. It's been about a year and a half and 26,294 miles.

Work has moved my office closer to home, so my commute is cut in half with a 1/3 of the traffic. Guess I need to go on a Summer driving vacation to use up some miles.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's new again!

Finally had time to schedule some warranty work over the weekend on my 2015 TLX i4.

They replaced the bottom plastic part of the seat.

That looks much better now. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Good that they fixed it and you're happy with it. I wonder if they adjusted the metal piece underneath so it doesn't reappear?

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good that they fixed it and you're happy with it. I wonder if they adjusted the metal piece underneath so it doesn't reappear?
I hope so. At least it is still under warranty till I pick up my 2018. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just a quick comment: my seat started seeing this issue as well (6', 215lbs)... when I had my car in this week for my transmission (2-3 shift) issue, pointed it out and they said no sweat, we'll replace. Next appointment is in 2 weeks for the transmission stuff and I don't want to go back twice so I'll update in 2 weeks when the replacement is done.

Reactions: andre12dbsi
1 - 20 of 61 Posts