Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
The obvious main lesson here is don't drink and drive. Other lessons in the video include the fact that the TLX has very strong windows and lastly high black socks don't necessarily go with shorts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
TLX drivers are all good drivers, my be he just wanted to try ACC but did not realize that his car did not have that util he hit the road.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Interesting challenge for the police - even with a broken window, its not easy to grab a hidden key fob . Unlike pulling keys from the ignition.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's great to see that the glass is very sturdy but it may be a safety issue if there's ever a need to break one in i.e. rescuing someone from the car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
When I think of drunk driving I think of swerving in traffic, but it seems to me that it is a whole other level to completely pass out while driving DURING THE DAYTIME. Thanks gosh he passed out while stopped instead of while he was on the highway.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
It's great to see that the glass is very sturdy but it may be a safety issue if there's ever a need to break one in i.e. rescuing someone from the car.

The police officer was using a baton. I'm sure in the event of a larger emergency the fire dept would take care of a window with an axe if they have to.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The police officer was using a baton. I'm sure in the event of a larger emergency the fire dept would take care of a window with an axe if they have to.
That's what surprises me. I own a few extendable batons and have broken vehicle windows with them, never had it fail, key is to ensure the ball at the end is hitting the window and on the weakest point (middle).

There's also the handle end of the baton the cop could have used (which is tougher) to apply more direct force.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The obvious main lesson here is don't drink and drive. Other lessons in the video include the fact that the TLX has very strong windows and lastly high black socks don't necessarily go with shorts.
LMAO @ high socks with shorts

when i was buying the car the lady who did the finance was telling me about how this guy leased a car then got a DUI, his insurance dropped him. well with a leased car (in canada atleast) you have to have insurance on it at all times, so he had to fully buy out his lease right then or the car was going to be repo'd.

here's a tip - credit to a friend and his M3 who thought of this.

here in ontario we have CAA rodeside assistance. the gold package is $110 per year and includes 3 free tows, up to two hours (200kms) each call. if you go out and drink and you have your car there, just pull the ECU fuse and the car won't start, call CAA or the like, and have them tow your car home and give you a ride too. then, you and your car will be home safely.:D

*disclaimer* not promoting drinking and driving, this is a worst case type thing.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I'm not sure if it's true but I heard CAA will take you home if a member has had a few but it will cost you one of your allowable tows. The guy in the video probably could have used the lift.

·
Registered
979 Posts
oh **** i guess they caught onto the scam LOL

still as a car guy i wouldn't want to leave my car in some random parking lot; (if i drive i just don't drink) so this imo is a good service.

·
Registered
144 Posts
oh **** i guess they caught onto the scam LOL

still as a car guy i wouldn't want to leave my car in some random parking lot; (if i drive i just don't drink) so this imo is a good service.
Depends on where you go. Some bars or restaurants are okay with you leaving your car in the parking lot as they'd rather have you alive than drunk driving. If you give them a heads up it should be fine.

But yes, it's better to not drink at all if you're driving.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yea choose one or the other. Take a cab to the bar or restaurant instead, or walk. Take public transit.

If I'm driving I might have two beers or so depending on the time frame. You have gone overboard if you are passing out like that regardless of if you are driving, but if you are driving than this is simply unacceptable. He should have his license revoked for sure and maybe even some jail time if this isn't his first offence.

·
Registered
979 Posts
it's not even worth it. i don't know how it is in the states but here in Toronto if your drinking and driving it's an automatic 1 year licence suspension, and either a butt ton of money to hire a lawyer; or a butt ton of money to pay an insurance company for your premium....if you can even get coverage. ontop of that you have to attend a alcohol education program, when you get your licence back you have to have the ignition breathalyzer installed for a year, no minimum jail sentence and a $1000 fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry for dredging up an old thread.. but dang... that guy's car was from the same dealership that my car is from! Granted, I don't live in Kansas City, and I didn't actually buy my car from that dealership, but I know for a fact that's where they pulled it from.

Small World.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts