Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Acura TLX uses few aluminum body parts/panels. I tested that today and found that TLX's hood is aluminum! So no need to worry about rust on hood. I wish exterior panels on doors were made of aluminum as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@EbonyGraph that's good to know. TSX I had, had to have the hood and trunk painted under the perforation warranty.

Hunter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Didn't know that. Aluminum car or parts can be troublesome, though. A friend just had an accident with his new Ford F150 pickup. Not many Ford dealers will repair it. The one who has it said it will be 90 days for repairs. His insur co only gives him $900 for a loaner. That's about a months worth.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think that is just growing pains though. Once aluminium becomes more widely used, it won't take as long to source parts and they won't be as expensive.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sourcing parts normally isn't the issue. If there is any welding needed of aluminum panels specialized equipment is required as well as some that actually knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The bumpers, as with most vehicles, should be urethane or some material like it, at least we won't have to worry about that aside from the hardware that mounts it getting rust.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went under the car with a magnet and found few more white(aluminum) components.
1. Metal bar behind front bumper is aluminum
2. Part that connects to brake disks is aluminum (sorry, don't no its name)
3. Frame that connects front bumper to the rest of frame is also aluminum
4. The shields below are either plastic or aluminum
5. one more component near rear wheel is also aluminum

With so many aluminum parts, not sure if it is good(less rust) or bad(need to stick with OEM for replacement parts)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good to know.

While aluminum doesn't rust it does corrode.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
One downside of Aluminum is that when it catches fire, the fire cannot be extinguished by normal means since it produces oxygen when it burns. Aircraft that catch fire had to be buried in dirt to put out the flames. I remember this "feature" when studying fire control.

Maybe they can mix an additive to fix this issue? I guess stay away from burning your alluminum would be wise. :)

Aluminum Armor

·
Registered
144 Posts
One downside of Aluminum is that when it catches fire, the fire cannot be extinguished by normal means since it produces oxygen when it burns. Aircraft that catch fire had to be buried in dirt to put out the flames. I remember this "feature" when studying fire control.

Maybe they can mix an additive to fix this issue? I guess stay away from burning your alluminum would be wise. :)

Aluminum Armor
That's REALLY good to know. :eek:

·
Registered
727 Posts

Aluminum Armor
Never knew that.

I wonder if fire departments know about this and what they're doing about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts