Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my laptop working again, here's a diy on how to install RDX "acura" caliper covers on your tlx. this is just what I did, so take it for what it's worth and make your own decision if you want to follow this.

anyways, I ordered in a pair of 2015 RDX caliper covers, $20ea. from acura. part number:

I started by cutting off the tabs with a grinder and cut off wheel. leave a little bit to wrap around the caliper so you won't see the cut easily.

File it down to make the ends smooth

here's the products I used:

IMG_7847 by tehfuzzman, on Flickr

-JB weld
-black RTV silicone
-short bolt and nut
-caliper covers (duh)
-foam paint brush or regular one
-caliper paint of your choice, I used gloss black.

so let's start. jack up the car and take wheel off.

IMG_7843 by tehfuzzman, on Flickr

ugly tlx caliper

IMG_7844 by tehfuzzman, on Flickr

so this groove in the caliper, I JB welded in a nut. it sets in 6 mins but give it about 10mins.

IMG_7845 by tehfuzzman, on Flickr

while you're waiting for the jb weld to dry, go ahead and paint your caliper. I've always used a brush to paint them it's the easiest/cleanest way. just spray some paint from the can into the cap or a cut pop bottle or something, then dab and paint.

IMG_7852 by tehfuzzman, on Flickr

now that the paint is dry (5mins) time to apply some RTV. I under estimated this stuff, once it dries, it dries hard.

IMG_7853 by tehfuzzman, on Flickr

next, mix up some more JB weld, and put it on the outer part of the tab on the caliper cover. the caliper cover's tab in the middle seats almost perfectly in that groove that the nut was jb welded in. slap on the cover, and insert the bolt just snugly tight.

IMG_7854 by tehfuzzman, on Flickr

then reinstall your wheel and do the other side. stand back and realize just how much better it looked than before. personally I think they look a crap ton better and for $40 can't really go wrong.

also, I didn't end up using the nut/bolt. I didn't wait long enough for the JB weld to cure and/or I tightened it too much and broke the nut loose. I said screw it and just used the RTV and the JB weld around the tab. the covers are rock solid; and I mean, solid. the next day I also took the car for a boot and put some heat in the brakes and the cover were still stuck on like they were meant to be there. they also do not block anything that would make brake work difficult.

finished product:

IMG_7861 by tehfuzzman, on Flickr

IMG_7950 by tehfuzzman, on Flickr

·
Registered
43 Posts
So why are there no official covers for the TLX? Why would the RDX get them?
And why are these so cheap, when the aftermarket covers are $200??

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love this but won't it eventually break off?
so far in the middle of winter and still on strong. the actual cover will bend before it breaks off so if that happens you have bigger problems on your hands lol.

I really like this upgrade as it sutle but adds so much.
i will likely do this in spring

Thanks for sharing
no problem and good luck.

So why are there no official covers for the TLX? Why would the RDX get them?
And why are these so cheap, when the aftermarket covers are $200??
no idea. there is really nothing crazy to them that would make them expensive. they are just thin painted or coated metal press formed. no way i would drop $200 on aftermarket covers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
Did you also get covers for the rears? If so, is there a different part number, or do these also work for them?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yea thanks for the reply too and for sharing, I'd love to do this. Don't know jb weld extensively, but I'm imagining in a few years that it just cracks off one day in the wheel well because of various temperature fluctuations. Maybe that's not as big a deal if it did though?

Oh and is that brake cover just plastic anyway? If it is it would at least mean it's lighter and less likely to cause an issue.

·
Registered
2016 TLX I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl with Blackouts
261 Posts
Almost 4-years later, but did anyone determine if there's a caliper cover for the rears that can be adapted?

·
Registered
2016 TLX I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl with Blackouts
261 Posts
I'm gettng ready to place an order, so I thought I'd bring this back to the top one more time.
Anyone?

Almost 4-years later, but did anyone determine if there's a caliper cover for the rears that can be adapted?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts