Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Acura TLX Base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I like to do my own oil change change and transmission fluid changes..

If I do my oil change and transmission fluid change.. will Acura give me issues if an engine has issues while under warranty?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Yes as for the transmission fluid change. In fact the manual states;

"Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary.
Do not attempt to check or change the dual clutch transmission fluid yourself."

and
"Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary.
Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself."

·
Registered
19 Posts
That sounds odd that they could just bar owners from doing it ourselves..Buy Acura transmission oil and keep the receipt, it's not hard to do at all on the double clutch 8 speed. It's literally like changing the car oil except there's no filter and the fill hole is a little tricky to get at.

·
Registered
2019 Acura TLX Base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds odd that they could just bar owners from doing it ourselves..Buy Acura transmission oil and keep the receipt, it's not hard to do at all on the double clutch 8 speed. It's literally like changing the car oil except there's no filter and the fill hole is a little tricky to get at.
That is what I like to do…. But is saving 200 worth it if the dealer “may” decline warranty work due to the DIY work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is what I like to do…. But is saving 200 worth it if the dealer “may” decline warranty work due to the DIY work?
I'm not aware of the rules in the US but up here in Canada I know that dealers cannot deny warranty claims if you have receipts that the maintenance was done. This law was brought in more for quick lube places but if I have receipts of parts and oil bought from Acura, I can't see that being any different. I imagine the US has something like this as well?

Personally I wouldn't worry about a warranty denial, I read that statement from the TLX Owners manual as a "recommendation" not the law. Change it and save the $200 bucks brother!

·
Registered
13 Posts
$300 sound steep. I paid $120 at my dealership. I was going to do it myself but the car needs to be completely level and it was just too much of a PIA.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The $300 price tag is for the V6 9 speed. The trans oil is $30 qt. It takes s little over 3qts for a change. So thats $120 for oil and dealers have rates anywhere from $150 to $180 hr. So not so sure how you got the trans oil changed for $120 unless its the dual clutch trans!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts