Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
636 Posts
I changed the battery in my TLX the other day (hence the post Installing New Battery) and when I lifted out the old battery, I lifted up the battery tray and there appeared to be a sensor under the battery. I went ahead and installed the new battery (as I was in a bit of a hurry) and didn’t have time to start examining things. Then a day or two later in the middle of the night, I woke up and thought that this must have been the battery temperature sensor. Then I thought, how easy it should be to either modify this sensor by either adding a switch or adding a resistor (depending if this sensor is normally open or closed) which would cause the auto idle stop to stop working (which is the goal). Don’t forget that: That if the internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (-10°C). or less. Then the auto idle will not come on. This appears to be the easiest modification as it will not affect the safety of the car, the CEL, and seems very easy to access. Just more food for thought for modification of the auto idle stop.

Isn’t it sad that I dream about car stuff every night? LOL

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Are you kidding that is awesome!

But I bet if you monkey with the sensor (have to set it to be reading low temp) to prevent auto idle control you might get a warning on the dash for a low battery temp. Perhaps there is a "range" that it would disable auto idle but not through a warning. Although that would be odd to get a low temp warning... I like you idea... soak the sensor in ice to test.

The other night I was dreaming to wash and wax the car... perhaps the Acura network sends signals to the car AND driver!

·
Super Moderator
636 Posts
I checked the manual and could not find a dash light for a low battery temperature. I don’t think Acura would go to all the trouble of warning us when our battery temperature is 14°F (-10°C) or less. Heck, many people up North drive in this type of temperature a good part of the year.

In thinking about this sensor, it must be a normally open sensor. This means if you take the two leads that come out of this sensor and connect them together (closing the circuit), that should disable the auto idle stop. I suppose you could add a toggle switch in the circuit if you wanted so that you could put back the auto idle stop should you sell the car or return the car to the dealership for service.

I did a quick search for a fuse or relay for the battery temperature sensor, but because this likely is a normally open sensor, even if it had its own fuse or relay; pulling it would not change how the auto idle stop operates.

NOTE: The above is theory and has not been tried. Modifications made to your car are done at your own risk.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is this sensor hard to take out?
If not and you have time, can you take it out and see if it is normally open?
Then put it in your freezer for a couple of hours and test it again.

·
Super Moderator
636 Posts
Is this sensor hard to take out?
If not and you have time, can you take it out and see if it is normally open?
Then put it in your freezer for a couple of hours and test it again.
Good idea, or if someone has access to the shop manual and can get the specification and test information for this sensor, that would also tell us the required information. Hopefully there is a simple plug on the back of this sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
updating my own thread -

I was able to accomplish this using this module:

I set it to mode P4 with 6 seconds delay to start after power, and 1 second press time. need to set to 1 iteration also. I programmed it using a 12v power supply to power it and tested it using a multimeter before putting it in the car.

I used this project box:

to get into the area under the shifter is easy, just remove in this order - right trim, left small trim around shifter, then left trim. After that the whole thing just pulls up (the shifter + cupholder assembly) no screw removal needed. you will need to remove a few connectors, needle nose plier helps on some.

I also attached a pic of the connector to the auto idle stop switch. I have a TLX v6 Sh AWD A-spec and the button is the most-rear button on the center console. This button has its own connector with 4 wires on it - 2 wires are for the button and the other two are for the lighting. NOTE THAT THERE ARE 2 BROWN WIRES. so if you decide to cut out the connector to make it easier to work with you will need to mark one of the brown wires. The wires we are going to use are in pins 1 and 2 - brown and black. pic attached. The brown and grey are for the lights. The connector is the second from the back

in my attached pic of the module, the red goes to +12v - I took this from the front armrest storage box cigarette outlet. There are 2 wires to this - pink and block - the pink is + 12V - you need to remove some very sticky tape to get in there. The black goes to ground - I used the ground to the same 12v outlet. The yellow and black need to be wired IN PARALLEL to the wires 1 and 2 on the connector to the button described in the prior paragraph. in other words yellow should tap into brown and black should tap into black with the button remaining connected. This will allow for normal operation of the button.

there is a nice place to mount it - i used some double stick tape - at the front of the area below the center console

let me know if there are any questions

Dennis

hardest part for me was dealing with all the small wires in the confines of the car.

Hello,

Just bought a TLX SH-AWD V6 A-spec.

Has anyone tried using a timed relay connected to the "disable auto stop" button to simulate pressing the button like 10-15 seconds after the power is applied to the car?

Does anyone have the relevant schematic ?

It would seem that this would be a fairly easy way to disable AIS whenever the car is started.

Assuming that the switch is a simple contact switch, this relay at amazon for $12 should do the job . . .

Qianson DC 5V 12V 24V Digital LED Display Infinite Cycle Delay Timer Switch ON/OFF Relay Module

I am too new to post a link to the product, sorry, but if you paste the whole product name into amazon search you will find it.

thanks for any info!

Dennis

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
729 Posts
Thanks for the update. Let us know of any long terms effects.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
wow I love it nice job... I would love a setup that would do what you have done and also prevent the yellow auto stop notificaiton light to stay off (even though auto idle is disengaged.)

·
Registered
458 Posts
If someone had time, they could make some money manufacturing this as plug and play device if you added factory connectors to it.
I'm sure people would probably pay $100 if it was a plug and play device under the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I start the car I do several things in order. First is to disable the Auto Off, secondly is to release the Park Brake, then into reverse or drive. It's as automatic as putting on my seat belt. I am an Aussie living in LA so putting on the seat belt was ingrained in me as I got my first license in Australia. There you better wear your seat belt as they will pull you over for not wearing it.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
You can save a step and leave the parking brake engaged... from D it will disengaged automatically, might also from Reverse I don't recall. ;)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts