Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just bought a TLX SH-AWD V6 A-spec.

Has anyone tried using a timed relay connected to the "disable auto stop" button to simulate pressing the button like 10-15 seconds after the power is applied to the car?

Does anyone have the relevant schematic ?

It would seem that this would be a fairly easy way to disable AIS whenever the car is started.

Assuming that the switch is a simple contact switch, this relay at amazon for $12 should do the job . . .

Qianson DC 5V 12V 24V Digital LED Display Infinite Cycle Delay Timer Switch ON/OFF Relay Module

I am too new to post a link to the product, sorry, but if you paste the whole product name into amazon search you will find it.

thanks for any info!

Dennis

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is really just basic electronics. The relay I reference above is programmable and can do the following:

- when power is applied, it will wait x seconds which you can program, let's say 20 seconds to let the car start up and all. I have tried it and holding down the auto start off button before you start the car will not work, which is why we need the programmable relay to insert the delay
- then it closes the circuit between NO (normally open) and COM (common).
- it then waits x number of seconds, lets say 1 ( you can program this also)
- it then opens the circuit.

so essentially you just make the relay replace the button. You need to power it from something that turns on when the car turns on, maybe piggy back on the fuel pump fuse. You want to run the AIS button in parallel to the outputs of the relay to keep the button functional.

I have ordered the relay to play with and I am going to try and get a hold of the schematics - maybe someone on this board can provide them?

Assuming that they are not doing anything super funky with that button electrically then this is not going to be a big deal. If you are not good with wires and stuff then this is going to be the type of thing that any car alarm installation place can do in 1-2 hours once we know what wires we are looking for.

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
731 Posts
Personally, I would love to see the switch act the opposite way. Instead of being "Instant On" each time the car is started, I would prefer the switch to be "Instant Off" each time the car is started; that way should I or the next owner of the car decide to use this switch, it is still there and fully usable.

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
Beware of warranty issues. If you take your brand new vehicle in for a warranty claim and the technician discovers this alteration, you may have just waived all warranty work.

·
Super Moderator
731 Posts
I agree with you up until you said: “you may have just waived all warranty work”.

You MAY have waived all warranty work on ONLY the Auto Idle Stop feature. But you certainly did not waive “all warranty work”.

For my own vehicle, I prefer not to mod to heavily (SprintBooster and VCMuzzler) and will save other mods when my factory warranty expires next year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beware of warranty issues. If you take your brand new vehicle in for a warranty claim and the technician discovers this alteration, you may have just waived all warranty work.

look up Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

They would have to show that this modification caused the damage to be in compliant with federal law. In the past I have installed obvious entire audio systems without any question being raised about warranty repair.

Remember, the dealers like doing warranty repairs - the manufacturers pay them to do so!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
came across this:

MicroBot Push (2nd Generation) - Wireless Robotic Button Pusher for Smart Home Automation (Platinum White)

looks like it works with IFFFT - I bet we could configure this thing to push the button when our phones see the car's bluetooth!

·
Registered
498 Posts
You should figure out a way to make it plug-and-play.
Such as you pop out the button, disconnect its connector, then plug this device in-line.
You can then sell it (and maybe patent it)...kind of like what VCMuzzler does

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is there no way to disable this other than what is being proposed?

·
Super Moderator
731 Posts
If it were me, the first step in modifying this would be: To obtain a schematic for this circuit

Has anyone obtained this yet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I just picked up my TLX and was playing around with things and it doesn't appear to do the auto stop in Sport mode? It also appeared to stay in Sport mode when I turned the vehicle off and back on. Is this correct? If so seems like an easy solution, of course I am so new to the car I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
801 Posts
It also appeared to stay in Sport mode when I turned the vehicle off and back on. Is this correct?.
In the vehicle settings menu one of the options is to have the car stay in the last IDS mode you had the car in when it was last turned off. Other options include having the car always start in one of the four modes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What's weird is sometimes my car shuts off at redlights and sometimes it doesn't, it send pretty random.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
731 Posts
There are many reasons that will keep the Auto Idle Stop from activating: (Straight from the owners manual)

Auto idle stop does not activate when:
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.
• The transmission fluid temperature is low or high.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 5 km/h after the engine starts.
• Stopped on a steep incline.
• A gear position other than (D or in Sport+).
• The engine is started with the hood open. Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate Auto Idle Stop.
• The battery charge is low.
• The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (-10°C). or less.
• The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below -4°F (-20°C) or over 104°F (40°C).
• The climate control system temperature is set to the Hi or Lo.
• Front Defroster is ON (indicator on) (Meaning the AC is on)

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are many reasons that will keep the Auto Idle Stop from activating: (Straight from the owners manual)

Auto idle stop does not activate when:
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.
• The transmission fluid temperature is low or high.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 5 km/h after the engine starts.
• Stopped on a steep incline.
• A gear position other than (D or in Sport+).
• The engine is started with the hood open. Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate Auto Idle Stop.
• The battery charge is low.
• The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (-10°C). or less.
• The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below -4°F (-20°C) or over 104°F (40°C).
• The climate control system temperature is set to the Hi or Lo.
• Front Defroster is ON (indicator on) (Meaning the AC is on)
Makes sense, mine isn't activating because it is so hot here that the climate control is automatically setting to "Lo" to try and cool everything off.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I thought reading some where if the cabin temp difference from the outside temp is too great the auto idle would not engage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts