Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best Acura yet is going to make you wait. Thats right the 2015 TLX is already delayed. According to Acura the delay is to ensure all systems are go. Autoguide thinks they're fearful of a recall inundation, I just think they're not finished, or decided to un-finish. After reading the visceral vitriol dedicated to the TLX and TLX only its certainly possible that Acura will be making several minor tweaks, albeit with their hands tied...

2015 Acura TLX Launch Date Delayed » AutoGuide.com News

·
Registered
251 Posts
Late summer isn't the hugest delay though, it could be worse. I am getting pretty impatient with the TLX though. These delays to make sure things are perfect are understandable, but at this point Acura is walking a very fine line between perfecting their product and keeping their customers happy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This technologically complex vehicle better have some bite to its bark after using that as the reason why the TLX needs to be delayed. If it fails to impress with its performance and super-high-tech-ness, I don't think that Acura or its customers will be very pleased.

It also could be some extra caution given the host of recalls that are happening right now. Maybe they are trying to learn a lesson from others' mistakes.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I think Acura is being mostly truthful about this car being technologically highly advanced and getting some manufacturing bugs worked out, especially with shift programming, is probably needed.

At the same time, this car definitely did not set the world on fire after the unveiling. In fact, most online discussions and reaction was pretty flat. I know many, many long time Acura drivers who believe this car looks, at least on paper, pretty underwhelming. Acura now has the daunting task of having to figure out what it is going to take to market it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do you think that Acura still has the time and ability to spark more interest and make the TLX the success that they badly need. I think it may already be too late. Delaying the TLX to make sure its perfect is more preventative than it is making the car any better than it is on paper now.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do you think that Acura still has the time and ability to spark more interest and make the TLX the success that they badly need. I think it may already be too late. Delaying the TLX to make sure its perfect is more preventative than it is making the car any better than it is on paper now.
I have a feeling we wont, going forward it might just get a bunch of minimal upgrades, just enough to keep it interesting as the production cycle goes on.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I really don't think there is anything Acura can really do to make this car more interesting or appealing to the long time Acura customers. I have talked Acuras on internet forums for over a decade, and most of us wanted more. A lot more. We didn't get it. Now, their ad campaign has to focus clearly on how we actually do get more car and bang for the buck with less.

That is not going to be an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really don't think there is anything Acura can really do to make this car more interesting or appealing to the long time Acura customers. I have talked Acuras on internet forums for over a decade, and most of us wanted more. A lot more. We didn't get it. Now, their ad campaign has to focus clearly on how we actually do get more car and bang for the buck with less.

Oh you mean the official car of everything exciting ;)

I hear you on shift programming, its like the KL cherokee ran into issues trying to get the 9 speed to collaborate. Thats the real issue with stuffing so many extra gears in there for economy. The ECU's become confused. Its not like a straight mechanical gear box where it just runs through all the gears sequentiality, these new techno wizard gearboxes will often shift gears and jump around if thats what it feels like doing...

·
Registered
727 Posts
One thing i learned about them is that they do change things if people really hate it, like the 2012 civic, 2013 was a big refresh.

·
Registered
339 Posts
well they are in the business of making money

if people hate it and dont buy it

they need to change it

recently honda and acura sure have come out with some cars that people seem to hate..

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I'm going to make a prediction that the TLX will be an excellently constructed car with typically outstanding Acura fit and finish. What seems to be leaving people flat are that it comes in a 4 cylinder base motor, a seemingly underpowered V6, and no manual transmission option.

Generally, luxury car buyers really don't pay that much attention to mpgs. It is a factor, but not really that large of a selling point.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
339 Posts
well the 4 cylinder motor was expected.. and some people are actually glad for it (probably the same people who were shopping for TSXs)

id say in the Acura segment mileage is important

and the fit and finish of Acura cars made in the USA is really not that great

·
Registered
87 Posts

I too have been in Acura forums for more than a decade. People who complains come and go. Honestly, they are just more vocal; they do not represent the mass of Acura target audience or fans, very very far from it.

Was the press set on fire when the first gen TSX and the 3rd gen TL were envailed? No. And yet, they have become pretty much Acura's classics, still loved by Acura fans to this day.

Naysayers, haters and critics make more noise, that's all.

I bet Acura will sell tons of TLX. Just watch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As an Acura owner since my first 1989 Legend and currently with 4 Acuras in my garage I am seriously disappointed with this delay. Both my wife and I have been in the market for new cars since January. We have already test driven the competitors and have been patiently waiting to test drive a TLX since it's introduction in Detroit and were really counting on the mid-May on-sale date. This was to be the last car to drive before making a purchase decision for each of us. We don't usually take this long for vehicle purchasing and the TLX was the SOLE reason we had not already bought our cars.

Now with the vague "late summer" delay announcement I don't think we want to wait any longer. My wife, for certain, wants to make a decision on her car this month as she now hates her Infinti G sedan and has been using my RL SHAWD instead for the past 3 months.

I'm of the impression that Acura's official excuse of making last minute "refinements" is not the whole truth. I have reason to believe that they are trying to sell off most of their 2014 TL and TSX inventory before bringing yet another midsize onto dealer lots. I have a feeling that once their existing 2014 TL/TSX quantities drop to a number that they are comfortable with, the 2015 TLX will "miraculously" be ready! This is precisely why the release date is so vague. If their TL/TSX inventory runs out sooner and the TLX is released mid-summer then they can celebrate the early release.

So with this delay Acura may have lost not just 1 but likely 2 sales for their new TLX from my household alone.

At this time our last test drive will likely be the 2nd generation 2015 Genesis sedan arriving in dealers this week before we make our final decisions. It's odd to think that the Gen 1 Genesis wasn't even on our radar and the Gen 2 Genesis wouldn't have been either if we hadn't been waiting this long just to drive the TLX.

And as an NSXCA member don't even get me started with the perpetual delays of next NSX...

·
Registered
727 Posts
^ You sir are a true Acura enthusiast. Any pictures of your Legend and any of your current cars? With 4 Acura's in your garage, you must have a big garage!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts