Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading info on this site and giving it further consideration, I decided to lease my 2015 TLX. I always thought it would be too costly, but I found out otherwise tonight when I was filling out the paperwork.

I have always bought and traded-in every three to four years. With my high-mileage driving, I thought leasing was not a viable option. Today, I believe I learned otherwise.

I originally told the finance guy I would buy the car and put some money down to keep the payment comfortable. After being at the dealer most of the day, the salesman mentioned leasing. I asked questions and decided to lease after all. I got the 20,000 miles a year plan. Sounds like a good idea. Figured I will give it a try since I usually drive 18,900 miles a year.

Bought - 2004 TSX
Bought - 2007 TSX
Bought - 2011 TSX
Leasing - 2015 TLX.

Thanks for everyone's input. :)

I used the trade-in cash as a down payment on the lease and I get 60% or so back in my pocket. Sounds like a win-win all around. I pick up the car tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congrats on the decision, I leased my last Acura (TL) and it turned out pretty good. Although my accountant was p-o'd that I put anything down as I can declare the lease for tax purposes (work).

I think I'll go 0 down on this one but I know what you mean about keeping payments comfortable monthly.

You mentioned on a different thread but which version did you finally go for and did you get any extras?

Gotta admit in typical Acura fashion the more I look at this car the more I like it.

Still waiting for my SH-AWD TLX, its painful but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the decision, I leased my last Acura (TL) and it turned out pretty good. Although my accountant was p-o'd that I put anything down as I can declare the lease for tax purposes (work).

I think I'll go 0 down on this one but I know what you mean about keeping payments comfortable monthly.

You mentioned on a different thread but which version did you finally go for and did you get any extras?

Gotta admit in typical Acura fashion the more I look at this car the more I like it.

Still waiting for my SH-AWD TLX, its painful but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Thanks!

I pick up the I4 TLX with Tech Package tomorrow after work. It came in too late this evening. I got the spare tire (Can't let go just yet), the Trunk Carpet Mat and the Cargo Hook.

I am glad I can pick it up in the light of day. It's a Basque Pearl Red II model.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congratulations ! Interesting fact about the spare tire, is this part of available accessories ?

I am also thinking about leasing, mainly because TLX is a brand new model loaded with new technologies.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Congratulations on the car!

I've always leased my cars. I'm thinking of going the other way and buying this one. The salesman I spoke too seemed to be trying to push a lease though. I'll have to compare the numbers when I do go in to buy. Definitely benefits to both.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I find its cheaper to lease, you can get better interest rates and then you can decide after the lease to buy it or not. That's what I prefer.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations ! Interesting fact about the spare tire, is this part of available accessories ?

I am also thinking about leasing, mainly because TLX is a brand new model loaded with new technologies.
Thanks.

The spare tire is a $369 accessory. With the $500 allowance I was able to get this option. I am not ready to get rid of a physical spare tire just yet. I drive too much to rely on tow service when I am fit enough to change a spare tire.

Also, I went in with that same idea. There is a lot of new and some different technologies. If the technologies or the car itself becomes outdated, I would be ready for a change. I never knew about the 20,000 mile a year lease option. Seems like a good situation for us and for Acura. Acura knows to build me another car in 3 years. :D

·
Registered
727 Posts
Knowing and being able to change your own tire and even being able to patch it is one of the best things to know. It sure beats waiting for road side assistance, but of course it's good to have.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks.

The spare tire is a $369 accessory. With the $500 allowance I was able to get this option. I am not ready to get rid of a physical spare tire just yet. I drive too much to rely on tow service when I am fit enough to change a spare tire.

Also, I went in with that same idea. There is a lot of new and some different technologies. If the technologies or the car itself becomes outdated, I would be ready for a change. I never knew about the 20,000 mile a year lease option. Seems like a good situation for us and for Acura. Acura knows to build me another car in 3 years. :D
Exactly.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm usually a finance/cash guy, I like to drive my cars into the ground. But hey if you're getting good terms why not. How much cheaper was it to lease than finance in the end?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm usually a finance/cash guy, I like to drive my cars into the ground. But hey if you're getting good terms why not. How much cheaper was it to lease than finance in the end?
I will have to look at the paperwork again and use some math.

It's either cheaper or the same. I guess the big difference is that you put little into the car up front when you lease. When you buy you have money in the car that you hope to get back in a trade. So 10 to 15K could be used elsewhere or invested somewhere when you lease. I think that is how they explained it to me.

I liked that my trade-in covered the money down on the lease and I get some money back. I didn't have to spend any new money. Also, regular maintenance is free for the three years. No charge for rotations, oil changes and air filter changes. I figured I would try leasing on this car. if I don't like it I will buy the next.

Since I put a lot of miles on the car, it would be good to swap it out for a new model that hopefully would be more reliable. Also I won't have to haggle for my trade-in. I will see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lease for me also makes sense since I work less than 10 miles away.

By the time you pay off your car (most cars), it is worth peanuts. Acuras hold the value a little better, but it's just a little more peanuts. At least with leasing, you get to drive a new car all the time and paying only 30% of the car and always covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cars may be bad investments, but paying a lease you don't actually own anything in the end. I've always leaned towards buying instead of leasing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Depends what you consider being the "end". For the most life of the loan, you own negative equity. By the end of the loan you own a lot of headaches, being out of warranty. I can't really see how owing a car ever pays off, unless, you do your own repairs and can get parts very cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts