Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... I recently bought a 2018 TLX SH-AWD Tech, certified pre-owned. It had about 24,000km when I bought it and I am now at about 28,000km.

I noticed that the stock Goodyear Eagles are already fairly worn - not at the wear bars yet, but the front tires especially seem to have uneven wear which leads me to believe the previous owner under inflated them. I have read generally that these are not great tires either for performance or longevity and often do wear out before 50,000km.

I expect I could safely get the rest of the season out of them (or even more), but I am wondering if it is worth it to just buy new, better quality all seasons now. Would this enhance the driving experience enough to make it worth the cost? I have to say that I have not actually noticed any performance issues with the tires, but I also wonder what I could be missing by not having higher quality.

If anyone has recommendations for good value high performance all seasons I would be interested in that too!

I do plan on buying a separate set of winters this fall either way.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
87 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Sport 3 AS is the king of all seasons at the moment. I put a set on my '21 right out of the box, much to the consternation of the spousal unit. They're soft, though. I'll be surprised if I get 25,000 Km out of them. Not cheap. OTOH, they're both quieter and ride better on smooth pavement than the stock Michelin Primacy A/S tires. Go figure.

If you're going to run winter tires anyway, look at the Pilot Sport 4S. Probably the best for handling in class and not bad in the wet. Again, they're soft and won't last forever but should be a worthwhile upgrade for your TLX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Summers aren't a real option here given the risk of inclement weather even in May, September, etc.

Any input on the Yokohama Advan Sport AS+? There is a really good deal I can get on them...

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
87 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Summers aren't a real option here given the risk of inclement weather even in May, September, etc.

Any input on the Yokohama Advan Sport AS+? There is a really good deal I can get on them...
The tire Rack web site does a good job with evaluations and comparisons. You might take a look there even if you're going to buy somewhere else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had DWS06s on various cars and loved them, but I've heard really good things about the Michelins and Yokohamas. I am probably going to go with the Michelins myself albeit on new wheels

·
Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
363 Posts
If you deal with a lot of snow and don't want to deal with swapping tires for winter, I'd suggest you look at the Vredestein Quatrac Pros. They won't out-perform the Michelins mentioned above in handling, but I have them on my '16 and am very pleased with them so far in all weather conditions. I considered the Yokos you're looking at before selecting these.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up finding a fantastic deal on the Continental Extremecontact DWS06 plus. Just drove them home and what people say about the TLX being a new car with better tires is true. Love them so far and it was worth the money (and I am hoping to get $200 for the Goodyears on Facebook too!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts