Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 2018 Acura TLX and three times the car was dead when I came back to use. Started with jumper cables. When I got in to start the three times it went dead the same things appeared, 1 to switch vehicle off push two times, 2 a radio station was on that I have never listened to, an fm station, 3 said there was a electric parking brake problem, 4, precision alt wheel steering problem came up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought 2018 Acura TLX and three times the car was dead when I came back to use. Started with jumper cables. When I got in to start the three times it went dead the same things appeared, 1 to switch vehicle off push two times, 2 a radio station was on that I have never listened to, an fm station, 3 said there was a electric parking brake problem, 4, precision alt wheel steering problem came up.
No, taking in to service center tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
838 Posts
No, taking in to service center tomorrow.
You'll find several discussion threads on the forum that talk about short battery life. My own experience with two TLX's now is that you can xpect about 2 years out of these batteries.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There seems to be a great deal (comparatively speaking) of current draw on the battery when the car is "off". On my new 2021 it's listening for the key fob, the wi-fi is waiting for Acura Link (can this be disabled?) the alarm/immobilizer is powered and that's just some of the obvious stuff. That constant current draw may have an impact on battery longevity. I'm beginning to think that assigning a two-year useful service life to the battery and making replacement a maintenance item might be a good idea.

BTW...I have friends who own recent vintage BMWs and MBs and they are seeing the same issues come up on their respective owner's forums. I don't think this Acura specific.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
You are correct. The TLX is looking for the Key FOB within its range. Should it find its matching Key FOB it will continually try and connect with it (wearing down both your car and FOB battery). This is why you should never leave your Key FOB in the car or within probably 15 feet of your car. Even better is to put your Key FOB in a Faraday Key Box (which is what I use).

In my work in LE, current electronic vehicle thefts can be caused by car thieves who can amplify your keyless car signal remotely by using a signal booster device (in the middle of the night while you are sleeping) and then steal your vehicle.

A Faraday box works and prevents signals from getting in and out of the box. They are not that expensive, less than $25 on Amazon.com and can probably hold 5 or 6 Key FOBs. At my house we just automatically put our keys in one place (inside the Faraday box).

·
Super Moderator
838 Posts
You are correct. The TLX is looking for the Key FOB within its range. Should it find its matching Key FOB it will continually try and connect with it (wearing down both your car and FOB battery). This is why you should never leave your Key FOB in the car or within probably 15 feet of your car. Even better is to put your Key FOB in a Faraday Key Box (which is what I use).

In my work in LE, current electronic vehicle thefts can be caused by car thieves who can amplify your keyless car signal remotely by using a signal booster device (in the middle of the night while you are sleeping) and then steal your vehicle.

A Faraday box works and prevents signals from getting in and out of the box. They are not that expensive, less than $25 on Amazon.com and can probably hold 5 or 6 Key FOBs. At my house we just automatically put our keys in one place (inside the Faraday box).
Great idea, hadn't thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Speaking if battery replacements, I'm going to be installing a new DieHard AGM to replace the used flooded battery that the dealer installed. Is there anything better than the bent-up, flimsy battery holder that Honda decided to use on our cars? It's effective, but ugly.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
... Is there anything better than the bent-up, flimsy battery holder that Honda decided to use on our cars? It's effective, but ugly.
I agree. I have a Civic, Odyssey and TLX and all have that crappy design. Always need a deep well socket and if you get it half off, then it spins when the hook at the bottom clears the cutout. Clever and simple design, but not very friendly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This doesn't solve the rod-slippage problem, but it sure looks better than the bowed piece of stamped steel that Honda used. Now, is it worth $13 just for a little better underhood appearance (in my non-show-car DD) ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts