Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2018 TLX (SH-AWD with push button transmission) just died in the middle of a busy intersection at a boulevard - traffic travelling at 45 - 50 mph. Transmission locked, couldn't push the car, couldn't even put on the hazards. There is no backup power, no residual power from the battery and with the push button trans. you CANNOT override - there's nothing there once you remove the override cover by the gear selector. Acura's manual describes it as a "trim piece". The car could not be pushed out of harms way.

Acura tow service was called (one of their selling features - free roadside emergency service). Was automated system with no one to talk to! My wife had to text location. (NOTE: she used this service once before for flat and took 2 HOURS for truck to arrive - metropolitan area and they weren't that far away. Service was contracted out and terrible.)

I arrived and called the nearby dealer. We needed to get this car out of the intersection ASAP. Turns out the dealership is familiar with this problem. Sent a service manager over. But he couldn't get it to start with jumper cables. He called a tech to bring a new battery over.

In the mean time here we are in the middle of a very busy intersection - several near miss accidents! Had to be careful that none of us got hit. Tech finally showed up and installed new battery. Car started and he safely pulled to a side street. Service mgr. confirmed that this is a big complaint - when the battery is dead, nothing works and, worse, the car is stuck in gear and can't be pushed. Tow truck would have had to use dollies (if Acura Roadside Assistance even got the message to send a truck - we never heard from them).

I asked about the 2020 models and he said the design is the same. Doesn't know about 2021 models just now coming out.

THIS IS A SAFETY HAZARD! From this and other threads this design has been this way for several years.

As a long time safety engineer in the aviation industry, I can only ask "What were they thinking?!?". I know these aren't aircraft but this is a basic safety flaw. It's a miracle there wasn't an accident. People could have been hurt or killed. I can think of other scenarios where this could happen and be very dangerous.

ACURA, FIX THIS CRITICAL SAFETY DESIGN FLAW!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This same thing JUST happened to my 2018 TLX A-spec as well except we got stuck in the car wash bay. I finally got through to Acura roadside assistance after being on hold for almost an hour. The car had to be towed out on dollys. I have had so many issues with my TLX - the entire nav systems and computer had to be replaced within the first year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts