Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reading a review of the TLX from the NYAS, and the author mentions a DCT with a Torque converter. Call me crazy but I've always understood that dual clutches replace the Torque Converter?

TLX buyers will be offered a choice of new engines exclusive to Acura - a direct injection 2.4L DOHC inline 4 making 206 hp and 182 lb.-ft. of torque and a direct injection 3.5L DOHC V6 generating 290 hp and 267 lb.-ft. of torque. The 4-cylinder engine is mated to an 8-speed dual clutch transmission with torque converter - a first for a production car - and the V6 is coupled to a new 9-speed automatic that is lighter, with three more gears, than the transmission on the outgoing TL.
I am crazy, but Honda is crazier. Listen to this, its brilliantly insane, udeful too ;)

But Honda has added an interesting fillip to the increasingly common DCT technology: a torque converter like that in a conventional automatic to smooth takeoff and low-speed downshifts, the points at which regular DCTs become jerky as they must slip their clutches to mimic the behavior of an automatic.

A brief lap of the Honda high-speed circuit in a 2013 Accord sedan equipped with the new 8-speed DCT with torque converter showed it to perform about as claimed.

Under power, accelerating up to highway speeds (and beyond), the feel was that of a DCT: fast sequential shifts.

But during a slow rollout from stop, the torque converter absorbed any surging or irregularity in torque delivery to the wheels in a way that few conventional DCTs have so far.
I'm betting that's why the TLX V6 will not be available with the DCT, how could there possibly be room for a DCT and Torque converter to all be sandwiched transversely...

·
Registered
727 Posts
good link cheers.

How are people getting along/finding the new DCT?
I haven't into real owner feedback lately but I have heard from a number of journalists that it is nice, better than other DCT systems from their experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How are people getting along/finding the new DCT?
I like it, it's actually one of the main reasons I chose the TLX. But I'm coming from a Honda Insight CVT which I hated so there was a lot of room for improvement.

I would say the reviews are spot on, it shifts fast and clean. Very responsive with the paddle shifters or in sport mode. I didn't test drive the v6 so can't compare it to the 9 speed auto but I'm very happy with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts