Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would report in on the installation of my Dashcam.

I bought an B40 dashcam and the Dashcam Store "add a fuse" adapter.

Here is a video of the installation process:

http://youtu.be/OLtq1sgvilA

A few notes:

- the photo of the adapter in the fuseblock shows the adapter in the wrong slot. Acura gave us two slots (Thanks, Acura). One is always on. One is only on with the ignition. Use the one that is on with the ignition so that you never need to think about turning the cameral on or off. It comes on automatically when you start the car.

- I grounded the adapter to one of the bolts behind the brake pedal. (12 mm wrench) (If anyone knows a better place, please let me know)

- tucking the wires was easy along the ceiling, but it took me a while to figure out that you need to tuck them BEHIND the pillar. They will not go in front.

- The camera hides very nicely behind the rearview mirror, and beside the box of other electronics. You only see about an inch of black beside the rearview mirror.

- You can barely see the camera from the outside. I could not get it to show up in a picture.

- The whole thing took about 30 minutes. The only tool I needed was a 12 mm wrench for grounding the new circuit, and a pair of wire cutters to trim the zip ties.

Here is a clip from my "test drive"... (a blue mazda pulls out without signalling and cuts me off... no real drama or danger, but it was more interesting than the rest of my drive around the neighbourhood.)

http://youtu.be/Cfk4IhaIgkc

I'll need to decide whether to turn the sound recording off or not... It might be handy in a police traffic stop or something.

·
Registered
681 Posts
that's great camera quality. It never occurred to me to do this, but I am now considering it

PS the installation video was considered 'private' so I couldn't watch it...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I too am unable to see the installation video. It would be awesome because the only thing that has been keeping me from buying a dashcam is figuring out how to rout the cable.

My recommendation is to leave the audio on. The video is only half the story. However, I don't know if there are any laws in certain places that prevent you from recording audio.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK... I'm new to posting videos... I think I changed the privacy on YouTube to let people with the link see it...

Let me know if there is still a problem.

If you want some fun, go search Youtube on "Dashcam Insurance Fraud Fail"

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing... after I purchased the dash cam adapter kit, I read that it is equally OK to purchase an "add a fuse" with a 12V (cigarette lighter) socket. You can put that down under the dash by the fuse block. Then you can plug in the adapter that came with the dash cam.

you would save about $30 that way, but you would not have as clean of an install.

·
Registered
520 Posts
One more thing... after I purchased the dash cam adapter kit, I read that it is equally OK to purchase an "add a fuse" with a 12V (cigarette lighter) socket. You can put that down under the dash by the fuse block. Then you can plug in the adapter that came with the dash cam.

you would save about $30 that way, but you would not have as clean of an install.
If you read that on this forum then it was probably from my post :)
I have done that with 2 of my cars. I bought a 3 way splitter and cut the ends off...I still have the 3rd one waiting for my TLX. Just waiting to see how I'm going to install it. With that note, the install video still shows a private for me too :(

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for providing this report on the setup you got. I guess things are bad enough where you live that you need these extra eyes? Or is it just to be on the safe side just in case something happens?

Do continue to keep us posted on it, would like to hear how it holds up over time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess things are bad enough where you live that you need these extra eyes? Or is it just to be on the safe side just in case something happens?
It is just "safe side" and being a bit of a gadget nerd.

Just yesterday, The Economist rated Toronto as the best city in the world to live in.

I am still working on getting the video permission right. Ive been trying to upload it again, with the right permissions, but I am having some bandwith challenges.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Bummer. I was looking forward to watching your installation video. I was able to see the actual usage video fine.

Routing the wire and hiding it are my main concerns.

I'll check back to see if you figured the posting part out. If you want to make the video private you can set it to unlisted and provide a good link like you did in the second video.

Congrats on the new cam. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where is the fuse box/panel?

I've been looking into getting a dash cam after becoming paranoid with watching other dash cam videos on Youtube.
Regarding the hard wiring, I can follow the wire to the left side A-Pillar and down, but where is the fuse box and how do I access it? I don't see any doors to open, unless I'm just totally blind.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fuse block is under the dash on the driver's side. just above your left shin while in driving position.

Just kneel on the ground outside the car, and look up under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Did you install it as a hobby/ just because or to record evidence in case of an accident?

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's an easy install... route the wire along the headliner and snake it down the A-Pillar. Fuse box is beside the dead pedal. I bought my dashcam from www.blackboxmycar and it comes with a plastic tool to help run the wiring. Also, as an optional accessory to the dashcam is the Power Magic Pro (PMP) module that you hook up to your fuse box; the dash cam to that, for continious power with auto cut off and time cut off.

I installed in half hr.... longest part was trying to hide the bulk of unused wiring.

Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's an easy install... route the wire along the headliner and snake it down the A-Pillar. Fuse box is beside the dead pedal. I bought my dashcam from www.blackboxmycar and it comes with a plastic tool to help run the wiring. Also, as an optional accessory to the dashcam is the Power Magic Pro (PMP) module that you hook up to your fuse box; the dash cam to that, for continious power with auto cut off and time cut off.

I installed in half hr.... longest part was trying to hide the bulk of unused wiring.
You still didn't mention the purpose...

·
Registered
101 Posts
You still didn't mention the purpose...
It is for both hobby and evidence purposes.

I was involved in a sideswipe where the third party tried to leave. My dashcam caught him impacting me and got their plate when driving off. Dashcam was paid for as I didn't have to claim my insurance. :laugh:

·
Registered
996 Posts
It is for both hobby and evidence purposes.

I was involved in a sideswipe where the third party tried to leave. My dashcam caught him impacting me and got their plate when driving off. Dashcam was paid for as I didn't have to claim my insurance.
Got it

1 - 20 of 40 Posts