Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wanting to hardwire my Thinkware Q800 to my left fuse panel for my 2019 TLX Tech. Which fuses should I tap for constant and accessory power. I know I need "Low Profile Mini" fuse taps.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here you go...

Edit: Any of the top three empty slots will work. Make sure you install the fuse tap in the correct orientation so the outgoing wire is actually protected.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Whoops. You threw me off with "left fuse panel." I just re-read your post, and realized you also want accessory power. That, you will have to pull from the main fuse block. Sorry I can't help you on which fuse to select. I can tell you that the self-dimming mirror and accessory power outlets are both switched.

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If I use my interior fuse above my left leg.

Can I use
(37 Accessory or 42 Door locks as my always on)

(F Audio or G Heated steering wheel as my on when car ignition started)

Sorry if this seems dumb just wanna make sure I'm being safe as this is my first time hardwiring a dashcam

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fuse #42 should provide constant power, and #37 should be switched. You can use a test light like THIS ONE to verify by using the small metal points on top of the fuse as seen in this pic.

The light is also useful in finding a true ground connection.

Bonus Tip: The test light is also helpful in checking for a blown fuse using those same points. A good fuse will have power on both pins, while a bad one will show it on only one. Most people will pull a fuse and look to see if it's blown, but the test light makes that unnecessary. (I pulled a LOT of fuses before I knew that trick.) :)

EDIT: I should add that THIS test light is all you really need to test for power on the fuses. The one I linked above, though, is safer and better when probing wires and circuits where the current draw of an incandescent bulb could a) cause inaccurate readings or b) result in damage to sensitive components.

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Setup my dashcam actually was a lot easier and quicker than I thought. Now I can leave my car without worry of people messing with it.

Thanks for the help Trickvert

·
Registered
121 Posts
You're quite welcome! Glad it worked out well.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Which fuse did you use? It may be helpful for others who are trying to do the same.

Also, what sort of battery protection are you using so it doesn’t run it down when your camera is on when the car is off?

I‘be got the Blackvue external batteries which run the camera in parking mode.

·
Registered
121 Posts
From the product description:

"With your Thinkware dash cam hardwired, it can stay recording for much longer durations (up to 48 hours), and can be set to shut down automatically if the dash cam detects low voltage from the vehicle battery to prevent drainage."

"Built-in Voltage Monitoring
Vehicle’s voltage level is monitored and prompts dash cam to automatically shut down to prevent car battery drainage. Depending on the vehicle’s battery condition, the voltage level can be adjusted by 0.1V increments from 11.6V – 12.3V (for passenger cars), or 23.2V – 24.6V for commercial vehicles. Once the battery voltage drops below the set threshold, the dash cam automatically powers off."

It seems like a pretty comprehensive solution.

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Andre,

So I'm running a Thinkware Q800 Pro 2CH(2k front HD rear). For my 2019 TLX I tapped fuse (37 Accessory for ignition on)
& (42 Door Locks for always on). Accessory are 7.5amps and Doorlocks 20amps fuses, I used my spare 7.5/20 in my engine bay to complete the circuit however I ordered 3amp fuses as the Q800 only needs 2.2Amp constant.

The Thinkware Q800 has built in battery protection that you can set for 12 and 24 volt batteries. Along with winter protection if you want to select certain months separately.

Adding to Trickverts, yes very comprehensive. In energy saving mode the dashcam and record up to 3 days(72Hrs) without the vehicle being turned on, and up to 8 days with an external battery pack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts