Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
I used an Add-a-circuit adapter to the fuse box. You pick the circuit in the fuse box and then replace it with this device. Search here and Amazon.

Reactions: Trey-LX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, has anyone hard wired a dash camera? If so how? Any kits to cut down on wiring! Thanks!!
Yes, hardwiring a dash cam is a great, relatively easy, and convenient way to go. If you do so, seriously consider also purchasing an auxiliary battery to power the cam when the car is off. These batteries and dash cam come with a complete fused wiring harness and kit. When connected and the car on, this battery is both being charged from the car's accessory power, as well as powering the dash cam. When the car is off, the dash cam continues to record but doesn't drain the car battery as it's getting it power from the supplemental battery. Again and basically, all doable - ya, a bit of a bitch finding the accesory fuse to tap into and running the cables, but once in all works great. Check out The Obesity Code by Jason Fung MD: Book Review - Diagnosis Diet for more info. Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, hardwiring a dash cam is a great, relatively easy, and convenient way to go. If you do so, seriously consider also purchasing an auxiliary battery to power the cam when the car is off. These batteries and dash cam come with a complete fused wiring harness and kit. When connected and the car on, this battery is both being charged from the car's accessory power, as well as powering the dash cam. When the car is off, the dash cam continues to record but doesn't drain the car battery as it's getting it power from the supplemental battery. Again and basically, all doable - ya, a bit of a bitch finding the accesory fuse to tap into and running the cables, but once in all works great. Check out The Obesity Code by Jason Fung MD: Book Review - Diagnosis Diet for more info. Good luck and have fun!!
Here's what I meant to suggest:

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
37 Posts
I'll be installing my dash cam tomorrow using an add-a-circuit adapter. Any recommendations on what circuit to add it to? I've searched the forum but can't find anyone who's shared what circuit they used.

In my 2018 Accord I used one of the accessory socket circuits. Surprisingly, even though the socket itself is switched with the ignition, the fuse was powered full time.

This time around I'd rather use a circuit that is switched. In my old car, after a month or so I would have hundreds of false protected recordings while it was parked, most of which were from the impact of closing a door or trunk. I'm not concerned about capturing incidents while parked, so I'd rather avoid the nuisance of having to unlock all these false alarms.

Unless someone here can help, my plan is to start with the Option circuit. I'm guessing this one, like the ones on the Accord, is a spare circuit meant to be used for dealer-installed accessories. However the only dearer-installed accessories that require power are the welcome lights and the heated steering wheel, so I'm not sure if this circuit will be switched to the ignition or not. Guess I'll find out!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone know of a thread or video showing how to hardwire from the rear view mirror? Would this work on my 2015 TLX or is it just for the newer TLX's? I'm currently using a wire that plugs into the OBDII port and it works pretty good but I'd like to have it by the mirror so I don't see any wires

·
Registered
67 Posts
What dash cam is everyone using? I’ve got the new Nexar on order. Ship date got pushed back.

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
37 Posts
I installed my dash cam on Saturday. For anyone's future reference, I used fuse 37 "Option" for the add-a-circuit kit. It works exactly how I wanted: switched with the ignition.

@jrock645 I'm using the Nextbase 322GW. It's not one of the high-dollar ones, but it has a touchscreen, GPS, Bluetooth and WiFi. I've used it for a few years across three different vehicles and I've been happy with it. The only negative with it now is the battery - it's pretty much shot. It's supposed to keep recording for 15 seconds when the power supply cuts off, but it dies immediately now. It's not a big deal to me - I only need it recording while I'm driving anyway.

I also have a Nextbase 122 in my old truck. It's just a stripped-down version of the same camera, and it does exactly what it's supposed to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone know how to wire it off of the the rear view mirror?

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
Reactions: Yamariv
1 - 12 of 12 Posts