Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding a dash cam to my TLX and was wondering if any members could share mounting advice as it pertains to TLX.

The camera I am getting is the DOD Tech LS430W with the suction cup and adhesive windshield mounts. I got this one since it had good reviews and the software works with Mac OS X (as well as Windows).

Since the TLX has already a camera, sensors above and on the front facing portion of the rear view mirror, I wanted to avoid placing the camera/mount in a position that interferes with the function of the existing sensors.

It looks like the forward facing TLX camera is high center above the mirror and no issue for dash cam interference.

There is another sensor on the front facing driver side surface of the rear view mirror though - and it looks like placement of the mounting cup in or near the darker "hatched" area just right of rear view mirror center would be the best spot. Am I thinking correctly? This is my first dash cam so I'm a newbie.

I will post some photos later in the event it helps others with similar question

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
I too am thinking about getting a dash cam soon but I am not aware of sensors on the front facing portion of the rear view mirror. I was able to see a few sensors on the windshield itself, but those appear to be covered by a housing behind the rear view mirror. Do you know what the sensor on the front facing side of the rear view mirror is for?

I'm also asking because I put a toll pass behind the rear view mirror in the hatched area closest to the drivers side. I figured they hatched that area in so that it looks symmetrical from the outside since all the sensors on the windshield are offset.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the manual, it looks like the Center high position in between the hatching is for LKAS, FCW, ACC camera. It also is the location where the manual points for the auto lighting control sensor, rainfall sensor.

Auto rearview mirror sensor sensor faces rear window middle below mirror frame

Auto climate control sensor is on dash, and below engine start button

I'm not sure - will check again. I wouldn't rule out that it supplements the LKAS, FCW, ACC functionality yet but I didn't see anything in the manual pointing to that location.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm interested in putting in a dash cam as well, please keep us updated if you do purchase and install one.

Just a thought, I wonder if Acura (or any car company) would offer the dash cam as a built in feature. Many cars already have screens which could be used to review the video, a hard drive for storage, and a USB port for video export. Seems like this would be a strait forward addition.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I would be interested as well. Some time ago I posted about DVD cams.

http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/interior/4178-any-ideas-dvr-car.html

I would be interested to see what you found out.

I am looking for a camera that blends in with the dark interior.

In addition, I was also wondering about how to power the device, if I need a battery and also if I need to record for action around the car while parked.

Mainly I am looking to record jerks that cut me off or pull in front of me and nearly cause a crash. It's becoming a MadMax world on the highway. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be interested as well. Some time ago I posted about DVD cams.

http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/interior/4178-any-ideas-dvr-car.html

I would be interested to see what you found out.

I am looking for a camera that blends in with the dark interior.

In addition, I was also wondering about how to power the device, if I need a battery and also if I need to record for action around the car while parked.

Mainly I am looking to record jerks that cut me off or pull in front of me and nearly cause a crash. It's becoming a MadMax world on the highway. :)
I am going to try the DOD Tech LS430 based in reviews and I'll post some pictures from the inside and from the outside looking at the windshield. It was supposed to be delivered today, but it was delayed until tomorrow. It is mainly for recording in event of an accident. There is an LED and a battery/capacitor for taking pictures outside the car but I doubt it would last more than a few minutes. I read good reviews also on the G1-WC mentioned in your original post here: G1W / G1WH / G1W-C / G1W-CB

and here for the one I chose:

DOD LS430W - DOD Tech USA

These 2 cameras are essentially the same size, but I went with the DOD Tech based on the volume of positive reviews on Amazon despite it having a higher cost and I have a trip to Detroit in a few days and it was in stock.

My plan is to mount the suction cup or adhesive mount such that it sets right below the bottom edge of the rear view mirror. The cord is 13' long and I'm going to route it up and behind the passenger visor, and the glove box as best I can to keep it tidy.

As far as surveillance for the car in parking lots, I too have interest in that kind of system. Unfortunately, I have not seen any good solutions. I have read that motion detection from a camera mounted inside the car is problematic to catch a vandal. It's a shame that it is needed or desirable nowadays, but I now have 5 HD network cameras at my home after a break-in several years ago - and I live in a rural area.

I'll post an update and thanks for sharing the link to your original post

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the manual, it looks like the Center high position in between the hatching is for LKAS, FCW, ACC camera. It also is the location where the manual points for the auto lighting control sensor, rainfall sensor.

Auto rearview mirror sensor sensor faces rear window middle below mirror frame

Auto climate control sensor is on dash, and below engine start button

I'm not sure - will check again. I wouldn't rule out that it supplements the LKAS, FCW, ACC functionality yet but I didn't see anything in the manual pointing to that location.
My assumption was incorrect about the sensor on the back of the mirror on the left side. My TL also has similar sensor on the back of the rear view mirror in about the same location. The sensor works with the auto lighting/dimming functions - there is also sensor behind the rear view mirror glass on some trim levels, and below the mirror on other trim levels for mirror dimming function. It has no relationship to the LKAS, ACC, FCW system which is between the hatching in front of the mirror.

When I mount my camera, I will mount near middle or right side to avoid blocking the sensor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's what the DOD Tech looks like mounted with the suction cup. The mount and camera seem to have a really good build quality. The is a deep concave in the suction cup and it stuck really good to the hatched area just left of the upper mirror housing. It was easy to run the cable behind the headliner and down the windshield, then below/behind the glovebox.

I just got it today so as far as initial impressions -

Very good clear image quality so far in overcast and twilight conditions. It was easy to setup, and by using FAT32 format I could use a 64Gb Micro SD card. The files are .mov Quicktime files and it includes Windows and Mac software. You can also just use Quicktime to view the files, but you lose the Google maps GPS screen and a few other details. The .mov files still show your gps coordinates, speed below the video even if you don't use the included software. The speed display can be turned off if you don't want that recorded.

The mount is very good, stable. It comes with a smaller adhesive mount also but since I used the hatched area and needed the drop distance to have the screen just below the mirror I just used the suction one.

It came with a mini HDMI to HDMI cable and a USB cable so you could power it and output to an external display.

License plates could be clearly read at least 3 car lengths ahead

Dislikes:

I don't understand why the maker would put white lettering on the front of the product - which would draw attention. After taking the pictures and getting home, I took a black sharpie marker and colored the lettering. I think most people would want a blackout version and prefer not to have the contrasting lettering on the camera.

The rubber cover for the Micro SD card is practically impossible to open without using a key or small pointed object. It is difficult to remove the memory card without moving the camera.

I will use it on a long trip in a few days and then if I have any other thoughts I will post an update.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Here's what the DOD Tech looks like mounted with the suction cup.
License plates could be clearly read at least 3 car lengths ahead
I don't understand why the maker would put white lettering on the front of the product - which would draw attention. After taking the pictures and getting home, I took a black sharpie marker and colored the lettering. I think most people would want a blackout version and prefer not to have the contrasting lettering on the camera.
I will use it on a long trip in a few days and then if I have any other thoughts I will post an update.
Thanks for the review and the pics. I am glad the plates could be read easily. Also agree with the white lettering. Good idea about the sharpie! Couldn't see the lens from the photos but the bezel seems to be dark.
Thanks again for the update. I am still deciding on what to get for a DVD cam. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

As good as the suction mount seems, it doesn't have enough grip in the hatched area. I'm sure it would work better on normal windshield area. When I went out to the car this morning, evidently the temperature change is enough to have it lose grip. When this happens, it drops and can trigger the G-sensor e.g thinking there has been an accident.

I'm going to use the adhesive mount that came with it and move it down to the clear windshield area.

Other thoughts - The LCD can display video image from camera or your speed. Either way, it is a bit distracting. I may re-mount it such that the LCD is blocked by the mirror as strange as that sounds.

In terms of hindsight, I think it I were to buy a dash cam again, I would buy one with just the camera - No integrated LCD - with the ability to stream to a smartphone (to view footage, confirm camera view, etc.). It would be smaller, more discreet, and could possibly be mounted completely behind the rear view mirror.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
No experience, but it is well-rated for value and being "discrete" on this site:

https://dashcamtalk.com/
Thanks Bruce for the info and link.

You had me going on the differences between discreet and discrete. I had to look them up. I constantly enjoy learning about English and I am a fan of etymology.

Discrete
The adjective discrete means individually distinct or separate (i.e., something that is not part of something else).

Examples:

There is a rack on the bench that contains all the discrete electronic components.

Our club has three discrete membership categories.

In Mathematics, there is a type of variable called a discrete variable. A discrete variable is one that cannot take on all values within its range. For example, in a survey, you might be asked to rate a holiday from 1 to 5. In this survey, you cannot choose 1.7 or 3.4. You can only choose 1,2,3,4 or 5. You cannot pick any values in between. The survey expects you to select a discrete variable.

Discreet
The adjective discreet means respecting secrecy, inconspicuous, or diplomatic.

Examples:

You can trust my aide — he is very discreet.

The painting was won by a discreet telephone bidder.

Thanks for the quick mental workout.

:)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks for posting info on the A118 camera! I think I will choose it as a discrete camera from the one already built in behind the rearview mirror. What sold me is that it is more discreet than the G1W. I'd prefer not to see the camera all the time :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Thanks for posting info on the A118 camera! I think I will choose it as a discrete camera from the one already built in behind the rearview mirror. What sold me is that it is more discreet than the G1W. I'd prefer not to see the camera all the time :)
I agree. I am hoping it will blend in and no one will want to steal it.
:)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Mobius Camera - The 1080p Action Cam, Dash-Cam, Anything Cam

I was looking at YouTube and it recommended that I watch a video on the Polaroid Cube. It is a cool cam but didn't work that good for a dash cam.

Another link from there, led me to Mobius Camera - The 1080p Action Cam, Dash-Cam, Anything Cam - Full review

This cam has the features I was looking for in a small and discreet dash-cam. It is also listed on Bruce Dow's link.

I believe I can do without the monitor when using the 1080p wide screen mode.

(I will have to compare its features with the A118.)

Mobius Camera - The 1080p Action Cam, Dash-Cam, Anything Cam - Full review (with samples). - YouTube

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hard wiring?

I have just ordered the discreet and discrete B40.

When it arrives, I'll probably start with the cable dangling. But that will get old pretty quickly, so I'll figure out how to hide the cable. around the windshield and piller. But then, the 'last foot' to get it in to the 12v socket will get old too.

Does anyone know how to hard wire this so that it just powers on with the car?

Is there an easy DIY solution?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in the same boat. As a compromise, I am using an old windshield mount for my Samsung galaxy s5 and a
Dash cam app called AutoGuard. It starts recording as soon as there is a blutletooth connection and stops when I shut off the car. This way, there are no wires to route, but I need to put my phone in the mount each time. Not sure if i will stick with this, but I'll post a test video soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts