Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two front view dash cams - DOD Tech LS430W on my '13 TL and DOD Tech LS460W on my TLX. Both are very good, somewhat pricey - and I am very happy with the results.

Now, I am wanting to add a camera for rear view and would like to get some ideas/input on a camera for rear view recording (not as a backup camera - for insurance in case of an accident)

Option 1: mount the camera on the front under the mirror facing rearward through the car aimed out the rear window. In this case, the LCD screen feature becomes undesirable as it would face out the front window and have no merit.

Option 2: mount the camera on an adhesive mount on the rear window. In this case also, the LCD is not desirable, but doesn't hurt either as it would be facing inside the car.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I decided to move the DOD Tech in the TL to the TLX, so I will have the LS460W facing front, and the LS430W facing rear. I'm going to try mounting in the rear window and will take a picture of what it looks like.

For the TL, I ordered a Transcend DrivePro 220 for front, and a DrivePro 100 for rear along with adhesive mounts. Somewhat bigger than the DOD Tech units but both have F1.8 lens and 1080p along with good reviews. Will post later with some install shots.

My daughter was clipped Friday in the TL and the mirror was totaled along with some deep scratches to the driver's side window. Other car didn't stop - sped away. Hence my interest in the dash cams.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you considered a dual camera? It will take both front and back views from the same unit. (I only use forward looking cams... but I have seen these products on the Dash Cam Talk forum...

https://dashcamtalk.com

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Well I decided to move the DOD Tech in the TL to the TLX, so I will have the LS460W facing front, and the LS430W facing rear. I'm going to try mounting in the rear window and will take a picture of what it looks like.

For the TL, I ordered a Transcend DrivePro 220 for front, and a DrivePro 100 for rear along with adhesive mounts. Somewhat bigger than the DOD Tech units but both have F1.8 lens and 1080p along with good reviews. Will post later with some install shots.

My daughter was clipped Friday in the TL and the mirror was totaled along with some deep scratches to the driver's side window. Other car didn't stop - sped away. Hence my interest in the dash cams.
Sorry to hear the bad news. Some people are <insert word here>. I couldn't think of just one word. :(

Interested to learn about your camera selection and setup. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of what the rear camera looks like and a downsized image showing the field of view from the camera.

The camera is mounted as high as possible using the adhesive mount directly behind the rear seat passenger side headrest. View obstruction is kept to a minimum in this area. A center install on the rear window glass really would obstruct the view because of the brake light dipping in the center with this size camera (113mm x 60mm).

Field of view is still good from the camera, but of course you don't avoid the rear defrost lines and some reflection in the image.

The cable that comes with the camera is plenty long enough to reach center console or probably the dash cigarette lighters for power. (It is not hard-wired). Only perhaps 10-12cm of wire is visible midway past the rear window panel and the rest tucks easily behind the roof liner and side liner trim.

The camera itself is not very discrete and is easy to see if you are looking - my windows are not tinted. I don't have experience with smaller cameras such as Mobius, but they might be a better choice for hiding the camera from view.

This is with the LS430 DOD Tech camera. As far as license plate visibility, it depends on the speed/distance of the car in the next lane. I may try pointing the camera more to the right to see if plate clarity improves albeit at the cost of some field of view to the left. This camera was originally my front camera and I did use a black sharpie to black out some of the white markings on the front of the camera to reduce it from standing out as much as possible.

The front camera is LS460W and is mounted behind the window in front of the rear view mirror such that the display of the unit sits directly below the mirror. In one of the photos, you can barely make out the outline if you look below the rear view mirror.

I may experiment with trying to mount on the plastic trim above and behind the rear brake light. I also tried mounting the camera near the front camera, but facing rear but found that much of the view becomes the inside of the back seat and loses field of view of the areas behind and outside - this camera has about a 130 degree lens.

Next, I will install the 2 Transcend cameras on the TL in a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
It seems like hit and run driving seems to be a popular sport in the Hoosier state right now. Thankfully it was just your car and not your daughter that was targeted by the fool.:(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems like hit and run driving seems to be a popular sport in the Hoosier state right now. Thankfully it was just your car and not your daughter that was targeted by the fool.:(
Yes - absolutely. I'm hoping that US Insurance companies express interest in dash cams and offer discounts if equipped.

As far as hit and runs on the rise in Indiana, I agree also. Based on fallout from employment drug screenings, there's probably some % that will leave the scene to avoid law enforcement interest as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you considered a dual camera? It will take both front and back views from the same unit. (I only use forward looking cams... but I have seen these products on the Dash Cam Talk forum...

https://dashcamtalk.com
Thank you for the advice - I looked at the combo units. I expect more and more options in the future. I did experiment with my existing unit facing to the rear but it seemed to lose quite a bit of the exterior view. The front camera is the most important in terms of evidence of fault. In Indiana, and many of the surrounding states, license plates are only on the rear of the vehicle so I wanted the rear camera to pick up plate if vehicle drives away.

Also - TLX and many other cars have the child seat tethers at top of rear seat backs directly behind the headrests. This looked to me like a good location if camera makers fashion a mount that could clamp to the tether bar. Rear camera mounting is a bit of a challenge - but the center tether behind the rear seat headrest would seem to be about perfect. There would be not obstruction of view other than the headrest that is already there. I may try that location if I can fashion a way to attach it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have two front view dash cams - DOD Tech LS430W on my '13 TL and DOD Tech LS460W on my TLX. Both are very good, somewhat pricey - and I am very happy with the results.

Now, I am wanting to add a camera for rear view and would like to get some ideas/input on a camera for rear view recording (not as a backup camera - for insurance in case of an accident)

Option 1: mount the camera on the front under the mirror facing rearward through the car aimed out the rear window. In this case, the LCD screen feature becomes undesirable as it would face out the front window and have no merit.

Option 2: mount the camera on an adhesive mount on the rear window. In this case also, the LCD is not desirable, but doesn't hurt either as it would be facing inside the car.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Is there a cable dangling on your front dash cam or the dash cam is a rechargeavle unit so no need to have wire switch to cigarette power outlet? Please take some photos on how you mounted them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a cable dangling on your front dash cam or the dash cam is a rechargeavle unit so no need to have wire switch to cigarette power outlet? Please take some photos on how you mounted them.
There is no real visible wire - it is plugged in to the center console cigarette adapter.

The side picture shows how the wire go up behind the rear view mirror, then you push the wire between the windshield liner using something flat and plastic (like the handle end of a disposable plastic fork for example). You can go from the windshield liner by the rear view mirror all the way around to the bottom right corner of the windshield this way keeping the wire invisible. Then using the same method, route the wire between the seam by the pillar across a short distance, then down the right side of the glove box, behind the glove box, then across to the left and go between the trim to the left under the glove box (where passenger's left leg would be) until you reach the center console.

I may have to take another picture to show you the glovebox routing, but it is about a 5-10 minute job and you don't need to remove any trim.

Let me know if you need another picture. Once you get to the seam by the pillar at the window right edge, I think you will see how easy it is to conceal the wire the rest of the way.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Very nice wiring job.

I am still undecided on a Dash Camera. I am leaning for one that doesn't have a monitor to limit the foot print and I don't need to watch the road. Now if it was infra-red and I could drive without lights, maybe. :)

(Forgot the infra-red part. I just had a vision of possible bad outcomes.)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice wiring job.

I am still undecided on a Dash Camera. I am leaning for one that doesn't have a monitor to limit the foot print and I don't need to watch the road. Now if it was infra-red and I could drive without lights, maybe. :)

(Forgot the infra-red part. I just had a vision of possible bad outcomes.)
I also would prefer a smaller size - without the LCD monitor for the same reasons you said. It is interesting that more and more models seem to be going the other direction.

Many models allow that the screen will default off or switch off after 15 seconds. That is good and eliminates a potential distraction to the driver.

For models with the screens, I've noticed the marketing links the LCD screen feature with the ability to produce and show the footage to law enforcement in the event of an accident. Many of the models that have screens, have very small display areas but I can see that value if that evidence could be presented at the time of the accident while the investigating officer is making his report notes - thus influencing the accident report. That could be a good thing.

Likewise, if you didn't have a screen it is unlikely that following an accident that a person could pop out a memory card and plug it into another device at the scene to offer this evidence. It's possible - but problematic.

One of the new dash cams I purchased for my TL is a Transcend DrivePro 220. This one has screen - but also has wifi which work with Apple IOS and Android to relay footage to another device. Now, I think an ideal state would be to have the wifi but lose the screen. This would reduce the footprint and make the unit more discrete. It also would allow persons with a smartphone to quickly present evidence at the accident scene on a much larger screen than on most of the dash cams. I would like to see the market offerings go in this direction.

One thing I don't like about the Transcend models (any many others) is the presence of white lettering/logos which face out when the camera is installed. My understanding is that in some markets such as Asia, a dash cam is a prestige item. This may explain why many models have "HD" "GPS" and other lettering and or glossy finishes. I'd rather have matte finish and no logos facing out.

For a dash cam without a screen currently, the mobius camera seems to be a strong contender.

One other thing - when I mentioned to my insurance company that I was putting dash cams in my cars, the representative seemed very much aware of the technology but remarked that they had not yet had any instances where the footage was used to support an accident investigation but they though it would only be a matter of time before it happens.

My Transcend cameras arrived yesterday but the TL is in the shop for the mirror and side window glass repair. Should be finished Friday or Monday and then I'll install the cameras and take pictures for what it looks like.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I also would prefer a smaller size - without the LCD monitor for the same reasons you said. It is interesting that more and more models seem to be going the other direction.

[Edited for brevity]
Very good reply and follow-up with good information. Thanks. I forgot about the ease of playback with the video screen. Wifi sounds interesting but I wonder if Bluetooth can handle the file transfer. I am not usually connected to Wifi in my car, unless I drive near a hotspot or sit in my driveway. Good idea to have it upload. Reminds me of eye-fi for cameras.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Last I checked bluetooth wasn't idea for file transfer but wouldn't be too surprised if it does work to some extent, then there's the speed at which it could do this at.. don't want to be spending hours syncing.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Last I checked bluetooth wasn't idea for file transfer but wouldn't be too surprised if it does work to some extent, then there's the speed at which it could do this at.. don't want to be spending hours syncing.
It was just a thought of how to transfer the files over without incurring data charges. Bluetooth does transfer files and the technology may improve. I remember when BT on Apple didn't support A2DP.

Maybe they could come up with direct wire transfer while charging. Even through non-BT method, video transfer could be slow.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I installed the Transcend dash cams. The way the wifi feature works is to create a "DrivePro" network that IOS and Android phones can connect via wifi. You just select the network on your device and using the free app you can view footage, adjust camera settings, etc. There would be no data charges using this method as the wifi connection would be between the 2 devices only. The software for viewing footage works for PC that shows map view and other data. You can view the footage on Mac computers also without the software but you lose some functionality such as the map display. The DOD Tech cameras in my TLX have software that works with Mac and PC for full functionality. I mainly use Macs, so I would say the DOD Tech is better for that if you use a Mac OS computer.

I will take some pictures of the cameras from interior and exterior. The Transcend (DrivePro 220) camera in the TL can fit behind the rearview mirror such that the entire camera is hidden from the driver's view if desired. Mounting lower would drop the camera and display so that it would be just below the mirror. I don't want the distraction so I was happy to mount it behind the mirror out of my sight.

The rear camera (DrivePro 100) mounted just to the left of the rear brake light housing high on the rear window. The cable supplied from the manufacturer was long enough as supplied and I didn't need to buy an extra long cable. This camera doesn't have wifi or GPS but is $50 less but otherwise same size, lens, etc. otherwise as the 220. Both can use up to 64Gb MicroSD cards for up to 10 hours of 1080P recording.

The mounting (cable hiding) is essentially the same as pics earlier in this same thread for TLX. I used a Y cigarette adapter cable and ran both cables to the outlet in the center armrest.

One final comment, the TL is graphite with black interior and the cameras seem pretty discrete against the black interior when viewed from the outside. In contrast, the TLX with gray interior makes even the smaller DOD Techs stand out more so.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I installed the Transcend dash cams. The way the wifi feature works is to create a "DrivePro" network that IOS and Android phones can connect via wifi. You just select the network on your device and using the free app you can view footage, adjust camera settings, etc. There would be no data charges using this method as the wifi connection would be between the 2 devices only.
Thanks for the info @ALman. I didn't realize or forgot that you can do that with wifi. Neat.

Also thanks for the info in general about cameras. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
great posts on this thread!

I never considered mounting a camera, but am considering it now. You guys keep costing me money! :laugh:

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is no real visible wire - it is plugged in to the center console cigarette adapter.

The side picture shows how the wire go up behind the rear view mirror, then you push the wire between the windshield liner using something flat and plastic (like the handle end of a disposable plastic fork for example). You can go from the windshield liner by the rear view mirror all the way around to the bottom right corner of the windshield this way keeping the wire invisible. Then using the same method, route the wire between the seam by the pillar across a short distance, then down the right side of the glove box, behind the glove box, then across to the left and go between the trim to the left under the glove box (where passenger's left leg would be) until you reach the center console.

I may have to take another picture to show you the glovebox routing, but it is about a 5-10 minute job and you don't need to remove any trim.

Let me know if you need another picture. Once you get to the seam by the pillar at the window right edge, I think you will see how easy it is to conceal the wire the rest of the way.

Thanks for the pics. Do this video cam starts up automatically when you start your car? or do you manually turn them on?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the pics. Do this video cam starts up automatically when you start your car? or do you manually turn them on?
The cameras power on when the car is started and begin recording in a few seconds automatically. I have mine set to display video for 1 minute on the LCD screen and then the displays switch off but recording continues as long as the car is running.

Here are the links for the cameras I am using:

In the TLX

DOD LS460W - DOD Tech USA

DOD LS430W - DOD Tech USA

Note: The LS460 is the newest version camera

In the TL

DrivePro 220-Car Video Recorders Your Most Trustworthy Eyewitness GPS, LDWS, FCWS, Parking mode, Speed Alarm, Wi-fi, 1080P Full HD, Car Video Recorder, built-in battery, F/1.8 Aperture, G-sensor, DrivePro App, DrivePro Toolbox, DrivePro 220, DP220

DrivePro 100-Car Video Recorders Your Most Reliable Eyewitness Full HD Car Video Recorder with built-in battery and F/1.8 Aperture, DrivePro 100, DP100

The DOD cameras are much more expensive, but have automatic time setting, very good video day and night. Transcend models require setting time and may not keep time settings if vehicle is not used for 4 or 5 days according to some reviews but you can buy both Transcend cameras for the price of one of the DOD Tech cameras.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts