Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting mix here...

In October, the most frequently cross-shopped cars were the Honda Accord, Acura ILX, Mercedes-Benz C class and BMW 3 series, according to Edmunds.com.

Interesting that Q50 and IS don't show up at all. I would of figured the IS and Q50 to be higher up than 3 and C class as the Japanese offer a similar value prop to Acura... Good news though...

·
Registered
134 Posts
My guess would be that the Q50 is receiving lots of bad press over its' steering-by-wire set up that people are frequently complaining about (even more than the I4 TLX tranny). For the IS I would guess that its because of the car's polarizing looks although I for one actually find it very attractive. It was a close second.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yea, the Q50 has been getting bad press, so that doesn't surprise me. I think that the TLX has much more tame styling than the IS, which may make the two cars appeal to different groups of people, separated by their style taste.

·
Registered
438 Posts
IS is smaller and much more cramped than the TLX; doubt you can fit 5 people inside. hopefully the new ILX would be able to compete with the IS, but no AWD for the ILX unfortunately

Q50, i find the trunk to be not as spacious as the TLX. steer-by-wire is optional so you can opt out for that, but i think the intouch touchscreen system crashing issue that is turning people off (you have to shut down the car and restart to make it work again). and yes, the Q50 not living up to its former G-series cars is an issue too. thankfully TLX surpasses the TL and TSX so its not as embarrassing

i find the Q50's look is more polarizing than IS.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Both of your points are accurate and well taken, although Infiniti sure buries it in with a lot of other goodies that you can't get unless you take the whole package. With the IS I find it puzzling how despite being so much smaller the interior actually is quite roomy in the front although the back is tight in the legs. Still, it certainly was one of the primary cars that I cross-shopped even though most reviewers refer to the ES350 (it comes FWD only).

The other point that some reviewers seem entrenched on is that this car should be only competing with Volvo and Lincoln. I understand it but most buyers I have spoken with looked more to the usual suspects and not these two.

·
Registered
438 Posts
ES350 is huge and comfy car, but boring to drive like a grandpa/grandma car. great as a family car though

much bigger than TLX, while the IS is more compact than the TLX (which is why i said ILX if done right can be a IS competitor)

and yes the S60 would be a fair competitor to the TLX too

·
Registered
130 Posts
ugpo, are you on TSXClub? Your name looks familiar.

Anyway, have you guys seen the new Hyundai Sonatas? I saw one on the road the other day and they're pretty sharp. I don't know what the interior looks like or what features they come with though. Based purely on looks though, I'd take one of those over a Q50 or an IS.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Anyway, have you guys seen the new Hyundai Sonatas? I saw one on the road the other day and they're pretty sharp. I don't know what the interior looks like or what features they come with though. Based purely on looks though, I'd take one of those over a Q50 or an IS.
its got a bit of Audi to it definitely (not a bad thing)

·
Registered
134 Posts

Not me, but I have nothing against the TSXer's. As for the Hyundai Sonatas, I haven't really been paying attention to the new ones but i will check them out this weekend, thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Seen the new Hyundai's, Sonata and Genesis and i just don't like the direction they took wi the Genesis... it looks like a mash up of German design lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.