Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the windshield crack on mine. Oddly enough, I dont recall anything hitting the glass or is there any kind of chips or damage where the crack is. Starts at the bottom under the passenger wiper and goes up and curves to the drivers side. Defective glass possibly? Car only has 1200kms (745mls) on it.

Kinda pissed really. Its not going to be cheap to replace and the last car a had the windshield replaced on leaked. I think Id rather have a door ding or a scratch.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh sh##, sorry man. That's lousy. Wonder if the OEM windshield has insulative or reflective properties the a standard replacement windshield might lack. Might ask your dealer's shop foreman...

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Yeah. That sucks. I was thinking the other day how expensive it would be to replace it considering its heated.

Good luck getting it replaced. I'd suggest trying under warranty.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Just had the windshield crack on mine. Oddly enough, I dont recall anything hitting the glass or is there any kind of chips or damage where the crack is. Starts at the bottom under the passenger wiper and goes up and curves to the drivers side. Defective glass possibly? Car only has 1200kms (745mls) on it.

Kinda pissed really. Its not going to be cheap to replace and the last car a had the windshield replaced on leaked. I think Id rather have a door ding or a scratch.
Sorry to hear the bad news with such a new car.

Can your auto insurance cover the costs?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would be pretty tempted to push the dealer for warranty on this pne. 1200 km is way to early if there is no impact...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For reference. No chips or points of impact found.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
That's good news for you but maybe bad news for everyone else.

I had a windshield crack for what I thought was no reason a few years back. I took it to the dealer. They ran a pin along the crack and found an impact point. It cost me about $500 for an aftermarket windshield. Honda wanted almost $800 for theirs. I can only imagine what one for the TLX would be.

Keep us posted on what happens at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im thinking (hoping) that since the crack starts along the edge and goes up, not right in the middle they might be SOL and have to cover it.

Car is awesome otherwise.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Go get 'em, and keep us advised. There are a lot of these windshields ou there...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news. Stopped by the dealer this morning for a quick check and they are going to replace it. Service Manager didnt make a big deal and over analyze it for damage either. First TLX with the issue he said, but he did mention a few MDX's with mysterious cracks.

Still sucks to happen on a brand new car, but at least they are taking care of it. My wifes old 2007 Mini Cooper had 3 windshields that all leaked, cracked and werent installed right and it was like pulling teeth to get each consecutive repair done.

The new glass is on backorder, so either Im not the first or they know there is a problem. Consider yourselves warned lol.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
That is excellent news. It's great that they're looking after you.

Fingers crossed that it's not a wider issue across the platform.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Good news. Stopped by the dealer this morning for a quick check and they are going to replace it. Service Manager didnt make a big deal and over analyze it for damage either. First TLX with the issue he said, but he did mention a few MDX's with mysterious cracks.

Still sucks to happen on a brand new car, but at least they are taking care of it. My wifes old 2007 Mini Cooper had 3 windshields that all leaked, cracked and werent installed right and it was like pulling teeth to get each consecutive repair done.

The new glass is on backorder, so either Im not the first or they know there is a problem. Consider yourselves warned lol.
Victory for the Consumer! It's nice to be treated like a customer :)

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
666 Posts
Great that they are replacing it under warranty, and it is the first incident that I have heard about. Consider being on back order as a positive sign that it was forecast as low probability for a problem and not an item that required local stocking. This is my positive "glass half full" outlook. I am not worried.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Came in yesterday so it will be installed on Monday. They did indicate that the delay could have been caused by the glass being different. Good thing too because the crack has spread basically from one side to the other.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We went through a rainstorm Friday night and a little rock hit the top right corner of my windshield. I was bummed because I knew it would happen sooner or later (I live in Arizona), but was hoping it wouldn't happen for a while. I too am concerned about the cost of replacement. Much to my surprise, the very small crack has now spread across 3/4 of my windshield in just 2 days!

Since the crack was caused by a rock, I am not as fortunate to have the dealer take care of this. I'm actually quite surprised they did it for you.

So now I'm worried that whoever I take it to might not replace it correctly or might mess some of the tech up. I asked my dealer which glass company and they suggested safe-lite. So now I'm going through the process of getting it replaced via insurance glass coverage. (By the way, Safe-Lite quoted me around $768 outside of insurance in case you guys are interested).

Safe-Lite had an interesting disclaimer for the replacement, saying that "re-calibration" of the lane departure assist, etc, may be needed once the windshield is replaced. They even made me acknowledge this disclaimer. Acura told me that recalibration would be around $275. But the Acura dealer told me that if the Safe-Lite guys do it right (i.e. don't disconnect the camera system, and don't turn the system on), that there shouldn't need to be any re-calibration. So anyway, they will come out to my place and do the replacement on Friday. Keeping my fingers crossed that things go smoothly...

·
Registered
144 Posts
All the best David and keep us posted! How big was the crack originally? A 3/4 crack spread just after 2 days seems a bit much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All the best David and keep us posted! How big was the crack originally? A 3/4 crack spread just after 2 days seems a bit much.
Right after it happened, it was about 12 inches or so long, maybe 1/4 the way down the windshield on the right hand side at the top. Now it has spread down and across toward the middle and is nearing coming across the driver view. Probably 2/3 or 3/4 of the windshield. It could be the 110 degree heat that caused it to spread? I've never seen it spread like that on previous cars, so wondered if it was unique to the TLX.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know how things go after replacement on Friday.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Right after it happened, it was about 12 inches or so long, maybe 1/4 the way down the windshield on the right hand side at the top. Now it has spread down and across toward the middle and is nearing coming across the driver view. Probably 2/3 or 3/4 of the windshield. It could be the 110 degree heat that caused it to spread? I've never seen it spread like that on previous cars, so wondered if it was unique to the TLX.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know how things go after replacement on Friday.

Was there any temperature cycling of the glass...e.g., parking it in the hot sun there? Did you drive it during that time?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was there any temperature cycling of the glass...e.g., parking it in the hot sun there? Did you drive it during that time?
The original crack happened in a rainstorm on Friday night. Then on Saturday, the hot sun came out, and the TLX was parked in a parking lot for 2-3 hours. When I came back out to the car, that's when I noticed the crack in the windshield had spread substantially...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts