Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been considering the TLX but I'm very scared of the 8 speed DCT transmission issues. He's guaranteeing me that its not the first batch and that it has been fixed. Should I believe him? Anyone here bought one recently and can attest to this?? Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been considering the TLX but I'm very scared of the 8 speed DCT transmission issues. He's guaranteeing me that its not the first batch and that it has been fixed. Should I believe him? Anyone here bought one recently and can attest to this?? Thanks.
Interesting. I've not heard the "first batch" phrase yet when reading about the 8 speeds. Some of us have had issues, some not. I have and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I will say that there have been multiple software updates since I purchased back in September which, in my opinion, resolved my problems. Also of note is that most of the complainers, myself included, have mostly stopped. Of those that have made recent purchases, I don't believe that anyone has complained about the tranny.

Good luck with your purchase if you decide to go the TLX route!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I remember hearing some issues earlier, but there was a recall and I haven't heard complaints for a while now. I think that you should be in the clear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember hearing some issues earlier, but there was a recall and I haven't heard complaints for a while now. I think that you should be in the clear.
I found the official recall but it was pertaining towards the 9 speed transmission with the park button issue. I'm still a bit scared to purchase the 8 speed, which is the one I'm interested in.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have the ZF9, but my dealer rep drives the 8. She was experiencing some of the issues noted thru this forum, and her husband was fairly vocal about it. However, after a sftware update a couple of months ago, they are both much happier.

I think there was also a USA class action suit launched, but am unsure of status. It may have triggered some action by Acura though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Bought my eight-speed on March 1. Driven 3,200 miles. No issues. Using the paddle shifters a lot more recently. Fun to drive! Love it!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Not buying a car because you are worried about potential problems... You might not ever find a car then because every car on the road has issues known to them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Recently purchased 2.4L TLX with Manufacture date April 2015. Though did not drive much, I did not feel any issue with tranny so far. Only issue I have with it is I do not like sluggish Econ mode(I guess that is how it is supposed to be), normal/sport/Sport+ are good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not buying a car because you are worried about potential problems... You might not ever find a car then because every car on the road has issues known to them.
I agree, but transmissions are a little different. I had to endure 2 failed transmissions on my 1999 TL and that sucked. Acura picked up the tab on the first, but I had to ditch a car that I loved when the 2nd one failed....or pay $$$ to replace.

No car is perfect and Acura certainly is more reliable and less expensive to fix than most, but waiting until Acura can satisfy get a handle on both new transmissions seems reasonable to me. Check the recall list to see that this is not isolated.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues (47, not 17 issues as listed in title).

All cars have potential problems....some of the TLX have existing significant problems.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It will get bad enough that years down the road the cost to fix it will cost more than the car, if it isn't already, leaving some to make the smart call of selling it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I found the official recall but it was pertaining towards the 9 speed transmission with the park button issue. I'm still a bit scared to purchase the 8 speed, which is the one I'm interested in.
The car is nice and buying a car is a major investment so it's better to know more about the issue if you're hesitant.
I would suggest that you investigate more in forum or other forums.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I have an I4 from the "first batch". Guess I was lucky. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts