Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Ok long story short, I traded in 2013 Lexus IS350 (fully paid off, bought it brand new) for a Honda Accord Hybrid 2015. 2 weeks later here in Houston, Texas my car flooded and now its a total loss.

Haven't received my check or what the price is (I'm guessing 32.8k) but anyway I'm set on getting the TLX Base model as I test drove it yesterday and absolutely love the way it drives. Also it gets very good mpg.

Anyway, I talked price with the guy and got it down to $32,300 without any accessories! (such as wheel lock, 4 floor mats).

What is a great price OTD here in the United States?? I see that some people paying 29k for the base model?? Do you guys mean after tax or pretax??

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would at the very least check TrueCar for your zipcode. At this time of the year the prices seem to be going down in preparation of the 2016 release in the summer/fall. I am in CT and the prices here on TrueCar have dropped considerably. I assume that you are talking about the i4 base vs the V6. I would think that you could get that price down somewhat or at least get more options or upgrade at that price.
Also, I believe that there is a thread here or over at the other Acura forum...google it, and everyone listed what they paid for their model. Car dealers will go much lower than you think if you keep saying no. At least at TrueCar you can see what you should pay for your area. In CT a base i4 is just over 30k for an average price....couple grand under MSRP. That includes destination but not state sales tax.
Good luck. I haven't bought one yet, but will probably wait for the 2016 release and then see how my 07 TL is holding up....200,000 miles strong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would at the very least check TrueCar for your zipcode. At this time of the year the prices seem to be going down in preparation of the 2016 release in the summer/fall. I am in CT and the prices here on TrueCar have dropped considerably. I assume that you are talking about the i4 base vs the V6. I would think that you could get that price down somewhat or at least get more options or upgrade at that price.
Also, I believe that there is a thread here or over at the other Acura forum...google it, and everyone listed what they paid for their model. Car dealers will go much lower than you think if you keep saying no. At least at TrueCar you can see what you should pay for your area. In CT a base i4 is just over 30k for an average price....couple grand under MSRP. That includes destination but not state sales tax.
Good luck. I haven't bought one yet, but will probably wait for the 2016 release and then see how my 07 TL is holding up....200,000 miles strong.
Thanks for the bit of information. My area in truecar is showing avg paid of $30,900 and state sales tax in Texas is 6.25% so roughly 2k. So factoring in that amount with 2k sales tax, $32,300 is looking pretty good. I'm trying to see if they would add LED fog lights, 4 floor mats, and a wheel lock for that price lol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, CT has the same sales tax...ouch.
The mats and locks should be no problem. The LED might be tougher b/c the dealer must do the install and that adds another $600 unless you do the work.

I would definitely work hard on the pricing. I am always amazed at how low dealers will go even when they say that it is the best that they can do.

If they don't know that you "need" a car then they often keep calling....esp if there is more than one dealer in the area and you don't have a preference.

The bottom line is that if you like the car and don't feel like you paid too much, then you didn't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, CT has the same sales tax...ouch.
The mats and locks should be no problem. The LED might be tougher b/c the dealer must do the install and that adds another $600 unless you do the work.

I would definitely work hard on the pricing. I am always amazed at how low dealers will go even when they say that it is the best that they can do.

If they don't know that you "need" a car then they often keep calling....esp if there is more than one dealer in the area and you don't have a preference.

The bottom line is that if you like the car and don't feel like you paid too much, then you didn't.
Its funny that I really wanted the LED fog lights installed and asked the manager and said it was roughly $550. Then he came back and gave me the accessories page and lo and behold $891, lol.

I'm going to try and own him up to that price he told me when the time comes and try to get it all thrown in for $32,300-$32,500.

As for the tech package its not that big of a deal for me for the sensors for safety reasons. Its cool to have but its not a must (nor the gps as I have it on my phone anyway), I've driven for over 15 years without such technologies and I'm fine with it. As long as it has leather seats, bluetooth connectivity, xm radio, great sound system, and a backup camera all is good.

Also I think about it this way, what if you were too reliant on these sensors for changing lanes that it became second nature and one day it failed? It would cost alot to fix as well, so one less thing to worry about. Sometimes too much features just means more to fix in the future. :)

What I love about the TLX is the jewel headlights, I fell in love with them the first I saw them near my girlfriends house. I noticed that there are hardly any TLXs on the road and when I did see one, it was pretty cool. Anyone know if the 8 speed dual cluth system is new on the TLX and is it reliable?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Chicago area dealers are selling 2.4l with tech for as low as 33.4k + tax+doc fee.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Also I think about it this way, what if you were too reliant on these sensors for changing lanes that it became second nature and one day it failed? It would cost alot to fix as well, so one less thing to worry about. Sometimes too much features just means more to fix in the future.
That is one view and if it works for you that's fine too.

My thinking is a bit different. I have been driving for a very long time and have never changed lanes into another vehicle, but there have been a few last minute corrections. So I am willing to pay a small amount for some assistance that might just prevent that one unfortunate situation that will be more costly. Will not worry about it failing while it is still under warranty.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hey guys,

Ok long story short, I traded in 2013 Lexus IS350 (fully paid off, bought it brand new) for a Honda Accord Hybrid 2015. 2 weeks later here in Houston, Texas my car flooded and now its a total loss.

Haven't received my check or what the price is (I'm guessing 32.8k) but anyway I'm set on getting the TLX Base model as I test drove it yesterday and absolutely love the way it drives. Also it gets very good mpg.

Anyway, I talked price with the guy and got it down to $32,300 without any accessories! (such as wheel lock, 4 floor mats).

What is a great price OTD here in the United States?? I see that some people paying 29k for the base model?? Do you guys mean after tax or pretax??
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first posts today. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Best of luck with the TLX. Be Safe! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
... and state sales tax in Texas is 6.25% ...
New York State sales tax is 8% That's upstate NY. Downstate, it's a little more.
And we get to give the state even more on April 15th!!

Now back to our originally scheduled show:

My spreadsheet had everything that I will spend on this new vehicle.
Do not discount the insurance or the price of Premium gas. In the end it was really close between a fully loaded Accord or the TLX (for annual costs to operate with a 10 year amortization of the vehicle cost).

But the biggest surprise from my wife was when I told her that the TLX recommends Premium gas. At about +$0.20 more per gallon at about 15 gallons per fill-up, that equated to about $3.00 more per fill-up. Then I asked her what a cup of coffee at Starbucks costs!!!

A couple hundred dollars should not prevent you from getting a quality car that you will enjoy everyday!

Style: 4dr Sdn FWD
Original MSRP: $31,445.00
Invoice: $29,584.00
% Invoice: 5.9%
BTO: $29,355.45
% BTO: 6.6%

Your mileage may vary!

Reactions: MTD

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Eventhough you may not want or feel you need some of the technology/safety options, they are great to have. Once you have experienced some of these features its hard to say no to them. Personally, Id buy an ILX Type-S over a base TLX, but thats just me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Eventhough you may not want or feel you need some of the technology/safety options, they are great to have. Once you have experienced some of these features its hard to say no to them. Personally, Id buy an ILX Type-S over a base TLX, but thats just me.
Just hope they don't get all faulty down the road resulting in expensive sensors you have to replace, i know sensors can get expensive.

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
Just hope they don't get all faulty down the road resulting in expensive sensors you have to replace, i know sensors can get expensive.
Factory Warranty!!

Electronics: early failure or, if designed/spec'd properly they should last a long time.

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Besides all of the sensor stuff, whats the deal with the 8 speed automatic DCT transmission problems?? This has made me sway away from the TLX now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts