Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if stupid question,what is loud click noise when starting car and when shutting off?Almost sounds like coming from rear of vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
824 Posts
I like the below better than what I wrote a few hours ago.

I was thinking about your problem and have two possible solutions:

Raise the hood and listen for the chirping, most noticeably when engine is warm would be a sign of the high pressure fuel pump located on the engine. Otherwise, it could also be the timing belt, the chirping coming from the timing belt area.

See Service Bulletin 16-008 (Attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I think Raver is calling out the loud solenoid sound you hear when starting and shutting down the TLX... its just that a solenoid (I believe)... and yes I agree louder than it should be. I believe its coming from under the instrument cluster. (If you and I are referring to the same sound)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the loud one click when shutting down or turning on,I used remote start to pin down where it coming from, think its fuel pump turning off and on,sounds closer then it really is I guess,either way louder then it probably should be,but whatever I guess.

·
Super Moderator
824 Posts
Yes the loud one click when shutting down or turning on,I used remote start to pin down where it coming from, think its fuel pump turning off and on,sounds closer then it really is I guess,either way louder then it probably should be,but whatever I guess.
The Service Bulletin I posted above has pictures of where the fuel pump is. Put your hand / ear near this fuel pump to help identify if this is where the problem is. It should be much louder with the hood up and your ear near the fuel pump (if this is the problem).

If this is the problem, don't forget to print out the Service Bulletin as all to often you go into a dealership and they have no idea of what Service Bulletin you are making reference to.

If you could get a sound byte using your phone of the noise that would be helpful for us and any others who would have the same problem with their car.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
As I recall both SBs was for a chirping at idle, I had both SBs applied before they realized it was the fuel pump. After applying the chirping stopped but the click nose starting and shutting down the engine was not effected in anyway.

Nothing as far as I can tell about the clicking noise heard when starting and shutting down the engine.

Good idea to use the remote to pin point... you sound like you might be on to something esp if it comes from the back. I've always associated it with a nose from under the dash. Can you record the noise and post?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I recall both SBs was for a chirping at idle, I had both SBs applied before they realized it was the fuel pump. After applying the chirping stopped but the click nose starting and shutting down the engine was not effected in anyway.

Nothing as far as I can tell about the clicking noise heard when starting and shutting down the engine.
Good idea to use the remote to pin point... you sound like you might be on to something esp if it comes from the back. I've always associated it with a nose from under the dash. Can you record the noise and post?
Yea will record today, it rained all day yesterday, that's Florida for ya.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Not the best video sound (was tying to capture issues with the auto idle engine restart).... if you increase your volume you can hear the clicking noise I am referring to on start / shutdown.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zAb43BUKPjHSSwP2A

Or this one
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yDXnQY2qVHzBKQaZA (This was a video showing the delay on the restart - hard to notice but if you time it from when the "A" is not illuminated its about 2x as long before restarting and altough you can't hear it, the engine turns over much slower.

Sorry didn't mean to change the direction of this thread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is shutting it off,coming from tank,itll do it by just putting car in accessory mode powering on and off also.

·
Super Moderator
824 Posts
Inside your fuel tank you have a fuel pump. See attached picture. When they go bad, they can totally fail, but often times they start getting noisy, sometimes clicking. You might have someone lay under the tank and put their ear on the tank and also their hand on the tank to listen and feel for noise and vibration. Make sure car is in park!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I believe solenoids /relays making all that noise..... I'm so used to it now I don't even notice it but its "normal"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts