Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar issue. Didn't start until 6 months after purchase. What I thought it was and what it actually was are 2 different things. I THOUGHT is was the forward edge if the door seal. Actually it as the door seal brushing against a foam insulator inside the fender well. On both the left and right front doors, I just reached in and pushed the insulation forward a bit and noise stops!

I am guessing from car washes and high power blowers air eventually pushes the foam insulator back a bit in the fender well (maybe 1/4 inch) and it starts to rub the door seal. I would look at this FIRST before any seal replacement or for alignments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar issue. Didn't start until 6 months after purchase. What I thought it was and what it actually was are 2 different things. I THOUGHT is was the forward edge if the door seal. Actually it as the door seal brushing against a foam insulator inside the fender well. On both the left and right front doors, I just reached in and pushed the insulation forward a bit and noise stops!

I am guessing from car washes and high power blowers air eventually pushes the foam insulator back a bit in the fender well (maybe 1/4 inch) and it starts to rub the door seal. I would look at this FIRST before any seal replacement or for alignments.
Thank you for this. My TLX started doing this over the past month or so and it started to really bug me. I took your advice and looked for the source of the sound and sure enough noticed the foam that was getting brushed by the door. I pushed it back like you said and the sound stopped. I would be careful though, i'm not quite sure why they put this foam there, but trying to push it back, it caved in a bit, so its not a flat piece flush with the outside panel anymore, but rather, laying a little parallel with the body. I hope that won't be an issue, im not sure of its purpose. I'll probably bring it up next time I am in for an oil change, especially if it starts clicking again.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I think the foam is for either sound reduction or collision impact energy aborsement. I too just noticed this sound starting last week... I didn't have an issues with the foam but I could see the rubber seal hanging up on the fender panel when closing the door. I cleaned the seal and area where the rubber meets with water and it's been fine for about a week now... I think it go some dirt in that area causing the rubber to hang a bit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I noticed this on my door the other day too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
My car(2016) has the same problem as the first poster on both front doors. The noise gets worse when it's raining and I noticed it about a month ago after 4 months of ownership. I've been to the dealership to address the issue and they just greased the rubber part on door that touches the front fender. The service advisor told me that my car was the second time they've seen the issue, and I may need to come back when the grease effect wears off.

I can still hear the rubber making popping sound when opening the door if I pay attention.

Has anyone got a permanent fix from Acura that didn't involve bending the fender? :)

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
My car(2016) has the same problem as the first poster on both front doors. The noise gets worse when it's raining and I noticed it about a month ago after 4 months of ownership. I've been to the dealership to address the issue and they just greased the rubber part on door that touches the front fender. The service advisor told me that my car was the second time they've seen the issue, and I may need to come back when the grease effect wears off.

I can still hear the rubber making popping sound when opening the door if I pay attention.

Has anyone got a permanent fix from Acura that didn't involve bending the fender? :)
Here is a link to the TSBs for the 16s. TSB 16-058 should address the issue. Maybe bring it with you to the service dept.

http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/tlx-recalls/16034-list-2016-acura-tlx-tsbs-usa.html

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow, thanks for the TSB. I actually checked the TSB thread few weeks ago, but I must have not read all thoroughly.

I will print it out and bring it to the dealership. I hope they won't say something like "Oh, but this is USA TSB, not Canadian TSB." :)

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Even though it's a US bulletin, the fix will be the same. I doubt you'll have an issue. If it was a software update or something it would be harder to get done. This should be pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
At least the fix can be done ourselves when the car is out of warranty... hopefully will not be an issue but the seal replacement looks pretty easy.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks for posting this TSB. It appears to also apply to all 2015 TLXs. It also looks like they updated these seals to not rub. I say this because the original parts end in A01 and the new parts end in A02.

Also, to add to what Gonzo said, this is definitely something you can do if you don't get it fixed under warranty. The MSRP on the original parts is $35 each.

I just went and checked both of my front doors and I appear to have this issue on both. Now I'm contemplating having the dealer order the parts and scheduling an appointment to get it fixed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My car has the same problem when it's raining. Looks like there's already a TSB out for this, so I'll probably bring this in sometime this week.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-058.PDF

Between this, the slightly misaligned taillamp, the slightly misaligned sunroof, and the fuel cover that isn't flush, I can't say I'm overly impressed with the quality control aspects of the Maryville plant. Fit and finish and attention to detail seems to be considerably lower than the Japanese-built Lexuses I've owned in the past.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't mean to put your car in a bad light... any chance it was in an accident prior to purchase?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Haha I totally forgot to update this thread.

It's been close to 2 months since new parts(both front doors) were installed and I'm happy to report that the noise is gone.
The new seal part(different design I'm assuming) is installed in a more recessed position than the previous seal part to avoid the rubbing. Unfortunately the flush look of the seal when the door is closed is now gone.

·
Super Moderator
952 Posts
I had the seal replaced and now it is again making the same noise. Time for another Service call! (TSB to support it also!)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had the seal replaced and now it is again making the same noise. Time for another Service call! (TSB to support it also!)
Did you get the re-designed part installed on your previous repair? Or was it replaced with the same part?

I think the revised part number ends with A02.

·
Super Moderator
952 Posts
I'll check the work order to see the part number.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had mine replaced in November which fixed the noise. What is weird is that it took me a while to get used to the door not making noise. The noise had become the norm, so much so that I thought that not hearing it made me think there was something wrong.

Also, when I scheduled the appointment to get it fixed I had emailed them the TSB as well as spelled out the 2 part numbers that would be needed to fix the issue. They ordered the parts ahead of time and had them ready by my appointment.

·
Super Moderator
952 Posts
Were they "offended" because you did their trouble-shooting?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts