·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Anyone know if this relates to the 8-speed or 9-speed tranny? I don't see it mentioned.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. :)

The suit is bound to bring more attention to the matter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I finally had the time to take my 4cyl TLX back to the dealer for the sticky transmission problem I was having and I am happy to report that after their fix, the car rides 100% better....I am now a happy TLX owner!!! Yeah!!

What is a bit confusing is that the service manager indicated that this fix only came out about 2 weeks ago???? I have been reading in this forum about other fixes that were available for the transmission months ago, What gives??

I also got an update on the infotainment center and the cross traffic monitoring system that evidently wasn't giving audible beeps. Now I have to say, that update from Acura came out about a month ago, so it's a bit troubling that I have been driving the car for several months not knowing that this feature was not operational...but at least it's fixed now.

There has been more than one update for the tranny. I likely had the same one that you did almost two weeks ago now and I'm impressed with the update. I won't be surprised if there are others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is filed for the I4 only (currently at least).

It was born of a trio of concerns:

(1) The transmission is a safety hazard in several circumstances

(2) It is a wretched user experience. One has to continually adjust to the transmission's erratic, jerky, hesitant, thunking, slow to change, saying in too high a gear behavior.

(3) The refusal of Acura to acknowledge that there are actually any legitimate transmission issues.

Litigation is in fact, not my preferred way of dealing with dissatisfaction. I'd far rather see a fix offered up, some accountability, etc.

But since this was not forthcoming despite repeated contacts with ACR and my dealership, I elected to take a public stand on the matter.

Feel free to join in :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

This is filed for the I4 only (currently at least).

It was born of a trio of concerns:

(1) The transmission is a safety hazard in several circumstances

(2) It is a wretched user experience. One has to continually adjust to the transmission's erratic, jerky, hesitant, thunking, slow to change, saying in too high a gear behavior.

(3) The refusal of Acura to acknowledge that there are actually any legitimate transmission issues.

Litigation is in fact, not my preferred way of dealing with dissatisfaction. I'd far rather see a fix offered up, some accountability, etc.

But since this was not forthcoming despite repeated contacts with ACR and my dealership, I elected to take a public stand on the matter.

Feel free to join in :)
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post.

Thanks for the info about the suit being for the I4. Hopefully this will shed some light on the V6 issues as well.

While I personally have no issues, I know plenty of TLX owners that do. Definitely needs a resolution and it seems a suit may be warranted. Especially if you are affected.

Thanks for taking a stand and good luck. :)

BTW, what are you driving and do you have any good news? >:D

Is your car currently in the shop?

In order for people to feel free to jump in...
Please tell us more about you and your TLX.
Maybe post in the check in section?

If you are going to take a stand and be a leader of men & women, we need more than one post from you. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
A little more

I am driving the 2015 TLX I4 - since September.

It was apparent within 2 weeks that there were tangible transmission problems, with the "jump into neutral" issue being the most disconcerting.

The car is not in the shop (since the shop does not acknowledge - maybe correctly from their point of view - a treatable problem), otherwise no, I have no good news. It continues to behave in almost exactly the same way that it has since the purchase with the additional irritation of regularly being in too high a gear for the speed of the vehicle (low RPM & low speed but high gear).

No plans to be a "leader of men and women" - but thanks for the vote of confidence :) - just a reasonable consumer who objects to the conjunction of an (expensive product) purchase being defective with the lack of any ownership of responsibility on the part of the producer of it.

·
Registered
222 Posts

It was apparent within 2 weeks that there were tangible transmission problems, with the "jump into neutral" issue being the most disconcerting.

The car is not in the shop (since the shop does not acknowledge - maybe correctly from their point of view - a treatable problem), otherwise no, I have no good news. It continues to behave in almost exactly the same way that it has since the purchase with the additional irritation of regularly being in too high a gear for the speed of the vehicle (low RPM & low speed but high gear).

No plans to be a "leader of men and women" - but thanks for the vote of confidence :) - just a reasonable consumer who objects to the conjunction of an (expensive product) purchase being defective with the lack of any ownership of responsibility on the part of the producer of it.
You might want to consider trying a different dealership, just to at the very least get a second opinion, which could end up in them taking your vehicle in for servicing depending on how they see it.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts

Thanks for the follow-up reply. I know your input is appreciated by others now or down the road. Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA? Definitely as another member wrote, maybe trying another dealer can help?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Equivalent of NHTSA in Canada

Someone told me that Transport Canada is the equivalent of the NHTSA in the States?

I am not sure where you are located, but definitely file a complaint about the transmission, rattles and lack of spare parts. We need to document our/your complaints just in case no one but us reads these forums? >:D

Defect Investigations and Recalls - Transport Canada

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to See Acura Held Accountable

On behalf of all TLX owners who have had problems with the transmission, thank-you for getting Acura's attention in an attempt to hold them accountable.

My TLX had the transmission update preformed a couple of weeks ago, and while it is much, much better, it is not perfect and could use a further adjustment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Huh? The lawsuit was filed a couple of weeks ago and got Acura's attention, and you had a transmission update a couple of weeks ago (same timeframe). Their reaction time to respond was really quick. Must have been a very simple problem, and maybe it will be easy to fine tune it.

In my experience, corporations never respond well to law suits, and there are often other avenues to achieve reasonable resolution. Do you not think their reputation is on the line?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I personally think it's more of a coincidence. Lawsuit / latest update. Two weeks ago, I also had the latest update and agree with the previous comment that it is indeed, much better but not where it should be as far as shift quality.

That being said, and as I have said before, I think they will continue to make strides towards making everyone as happy as possible. Reputation in danger? Depends on what happens with the other models moving to both these new transmissions. We'll see how Acura handles their users.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lawsuit and Transmission Recall

On behalf of all TLX owners who have had problems with the transmission, thank-you for getting Acura's attention in an attempt to hold them accountable.

My TLX had the transmission update preformed a couple of weeks ago, and while it is much, much better, it is not perfect and could use a further adjustment.

Good luck.
Huh? The lawsuit was filed a couple of weeks ago and got Acura's attention, and you had a transmission update a couple of weeks ago (same timeframe). Their reaction time to respond was really quick. Must have been a very simple problem, and maybe it will be easy to fine tune it.

In my experience, corporations never respond well to law suits, and there are often other avenues to achieve reasonable resolution. Do you not think their reputation is on the line?
I personally think it's more of a coincidence. Lawsuit / latest update. Two weeks ago, I also had the latest update and agree with the previous comment that it is indeed, much better but not where it should be as far as shift quality.

That being said, and as I have said before, I think they will continue to make strides towards making everyone as happy as possible. Reputation in danger? Depends on what happens with the other models moving to both these new transmissions. We'll see how Acura handles their users.

FYI. Lawsuit and Transmission recall or fix/update was only a "coincidence". Your dealership performed the transmission checked if Park mode is not engaging and provided a transmission oil change. They also corrected the reverse cross traffic alert which are faulty on some TLX cars. All these are part of the transmission recall notice lately due to the findings last October 2014 so far on "One" TLX car and not the lawsuit filed this early March.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts