Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an observation. My daughter's 2015 4dr. Civic EX has an HDMI input beneath the center stack next to the USB input, as well as a right-turn lane-change camera mounted beneath the passenger outside mirror. The camera activates upon using the right turn signal (signaling is apparently optional around here) or by pressing a button on the end of the signal stalk.
These features are not on my I-4 base model. Anyone's TLX have 'em?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not in mine. Usb only. Why hdmi i wonder?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Not sure how useful the HDMI connection is with the Civic. It will allow you to view information on the car's screen when the car is parked but when you start to drive it gets disabled. I believe it may be used in the future for CarPlay when Apple/Honda releases it but that has been promised for 2 years.

The camera would be useful but I think with the blind spot monitor on the TLX I'm not sure if it's redundant or not.

I find there is quite a bit of technology in the TLX as it is. I do have the Tech package though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure how useful the HDMI connection is with the Civic. It will allow you to view information on the car's screen when the car is parked but when you start to drive it gets disabled. I believe it may be used in the future for CarPlay when Apple/Honda releases it but that has been promised for 2 years.

The camera would be useful but I think with the blind spot monitor on the TLX I'm not sure if it's redundant or not.

I find there is quite a bit of technology in the TLX as it is. I do have the Tech package tough.
I'll ask my daughter this weekend what she might use it for.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The HDMI allows you to plug in a compatible device and play video from it. Only works while the vehicle is stopped and plays only 720p and lower resolution. My Veloster had a similar feature. Tried it once, then never again. Im sure there are some types of hacks or workarounds to allow it to work while in motion or use different devices.

The side view cameras I found very distracting. I like the TLX's small icons and audible warnings much better.

A friend of mine has a new Civic so Ive had the chance to drive it a few times.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I find there is quite a bit of technology in the TLX as it is. I do have the Tech package tough.
I have a base model with 5% tint, so no blind spot monitor for me. The camera would have been useful...

·
Registered
423 Posts
They have put this on the ILX too for the 2016 models. You will see it in the 2016 TLX's.
On the ILX's its for the map app that you can purchase on the apple store for the models that don't come with the Navi.
As said above, mirrors screen, in this case when using maps only for ILX, it doesn't mirror the phone screen (thats carplay which isn't on Acura's yet).
You will see this in all the cars that are going to be using carplay anyway.

I hate that gimic side camera on the honda's, every looked at them front on? Looks odd with the lump on one mirror and not the other! All so i can skint at a 4 inch screen while changing lanes at 100 km/h!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
HDMI and LaneWatch

Just an observation. My daughter's 2015 4dr. Civic EX has an HDMI input beneath the center stack next to the USB input, as well as a right-turn lane-change camera mounted beneath the passenger outside mirror. The camera activates upon using the right turn signal (signaling is apparently optional around here) or by pressing a button on the end of the signal stalk.
These features are not on my I-4 base model. Anyone's TLX have 'em?
Same with my daughter's 2015 Civic. The HDMI port is used with the USB port and a $100 cable kit to connect your iPhone and get Navi and other HondaLink Apps to display on the 7 inch display. All those apps get very poor reviews at iTunes.

The LaneWatch camera (mounted beneath the passenger outside mirror) is very convenient for parking (in reverse). A quick flick (push-in) on the turn signal stalk will turn the LaneWatch camera off for those high speed right turns that you use your turn signals for.
Was a little surprised that this feature was not on the 2015 TLX but I predict it will be part of future models. The impact will be minimal: new passenger side mirror assembly and updated software to pipe the video to the upper display. The other change will be the turn signal stalk, push-in feature to dismiss that video to the upper display. The current blindspot warning system is a good substitute for Lanewatch, but I do like that view for backing up!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Same with my daughter's 2015 Civic. The HDMI port is used with the USB port and a $100 cable kit to connect your iPhone and get Navi and other HondaLink Apps to display on the 7 inch display. All those apps get very poor reviews at iTunes.

The LaneWatch camera (mounted beneath the passenger outside mirror) is very convenient for parking (in reverse). A quick flick (push-in) on the turn signal stalk will turn the LaneWatch camera off for those high speed right turns that you use your turn signals for.
Was a little surprised that this feature was not on the 2015 TLX but I predict it will be part of future models. The impact will be minimal: new passenger side mirror assembly and updated software to pipe the video to the upper display. The other change will be the turn signal stalk, push-in feature to dismiss that video to the upper display. The current blindspot warning system is a good substitute for Lanewatch, but I do like that view for backing up!
Welcome to the forum! Glad to see your first posts.

Please introduce yourself!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Weird how the TLX doesn't have it meanwhile the Civic is levels below. In the TLX this should be standard.

Who knows it might end up being a standard feature in future model years.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Maybe the teenagers and Generation Y buyers that typically have a Civic need all the help they can get while driving :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts