Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(David from BC, Canada, bought from Burrard Acura)
Hi, I bought my certified pre-owned Acura 2017 TLX V6 Sh-AWD about 6 months ago with 54xxxKMs, and Ive put on about 9000KMs. This car from the start has been all issues and I'm making this thread see if anyone has/had these problems.

3 days after taking ownership my car tripped an yellow engine & battery light aswell as an emergency brake failure message, and my Sh-AWD system went to FWD only. I contacted the dealership and they told me to bring it in to get it checked out, and they said that it was a dying battery. When the mechanics pointed out my corrosive battery they said replacing it would fix all these issues. I came back the next day when they called me in to pick up my car, but I noticed that my battery still looked corrosive even though they said they had replaced it. I pointed out the issue to the mechanics and they said that it was fine so I just went on my way trying to avoid making a fuss. Fast forward about 1 week the same issue happened this time except I was noticing very violent jerks along with dash display warnings when it occurred, so once again I contacted the dealership regarding the issue adding in the new details of what was happening. They took my car for about a week to run tests and came back saying my oxygen sensors were causing the issue, and that they would also replace that and sent me on my way after 2 days of service and tests. Fast forward another week or so the same issue was happening except this time at traffic lights my car would shift from DRIVE into REVERSE throwing a bunch of warning. I contacted them once again saying that I was now facing a more dangerous problem that could potentially cause an accident if I wouldn't notice these automated shifts I wasn't doing. Keep in mind at this point I've owned the car for a little over a month driving it only about a week or 2. The dealership called me saying they believed it was my other oxygen sensor and battery bringing up concerned as I said I thought these had already been replaced, to my surprise they replaced the front oxygen sensor, and only recharged the battery after cleaning off most of the corrosion. I was very frustrated at this point with how things were being handled since I had been practically lied to about what had been resolved on my car. This time after the replacements service they flew out master mechanics to resolve the issue, but they couldn't find anything wrong after having my car for about 1.5 weeks, so they said they would keep my claim open to see if the issue reoccurs. After about 2 months I got a call saying they would close the service ticket because no other issues were occuring at the present time. HOWEVER....

6 months in to ownership now and this is now a VERY SERIOUS AND SCARY SITUATION. Driving down a steep hill today my car went from 30km/h shifted into neutral with a violent jerk, tripped my battery, engine, SH-AWD, traction, and some other lights aswell as cycling through 6-7 different warning messages, and FULL LOSS OF POWER. My double deck screen turned off I lost powersteering and brakes and was now rolling at about 80km/h when its shifted in reverse. I slammed my brakes and tried to steer at a loaded semi truck was fast approaching. The car shifted back into neutral and I slammed my brakes(ABS) while the EMERGENCY brake automatically turned on and my car came to a stop about 2 car length from the semi truck. I tried to put the car into park but it wouldn't stay jumping back into neutral, but on the 3rd attempt it went into park. I tried pushing my push to start to turn off the car but it didn't work until the 3 or 4th time I pressed it. I then turned the car back on and turned into a neighbourhood side street to avoid the issue happening again if it was going to happen. I let my car sit on the side street for about 10 minutes before trying to drive it back and fourth to see if the issue would occur again, thankfully it didn't. I called the same dealership explaining what had just happened and they're trying to squeeze me into April 22, 2020 sometime during the day as I just have to wait due to them being fully booked. I will update as I get more information.

If anyone has had similar or anything close to what I'm experiencing can you please reach out as I like to find a solution or even next steps as this was a very terrifying experience. I'm not to sure what I can do in terms of "Lemon Law' as Canada I believe doesn't have this law in place. Any advice helps and is kindly appreciated.

PS: I baby this car as its my first big adult purchase. I never race or push it pass general driving and the only work that has been 1 oil change on my end is 1 oil change, and a full detail and seal

Thanks in advance everybody,
David

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
The technician was correct in that what you describe is that of a weak battery. The TLX requires a good and strong battery with clean battery terminals. If it were my vehicle, I would remove both terminals, put the battery on a trickle charge for 24 hours, clean both terminals really good and then put things back together. This should solve the problem, or at least eliminate the battery / battery terminals as the problem.

NOTE: Technicians get paid by the flat rate. That means to test the electrical system and replace the battery might pay 0.4 of an hour, and even less if this is being done under warranty. My point being is: the technician likely rushed on your vehicle.

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealerships had my car for 2 nights now and they arent sure what happened as no codes show.

Mechanics have been test driving to see if they can replicate the issue.

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The technician was correct in that what you describe is that of a weak battery. The TLX requires a good and strong battery with clean battery terminals. If it were my vehicle, I would remove both terminals, put the battery on a trickle charge for 24 hours, clean both terminals really good and then put things back together. This should solve the problem, or at least eliminate the battery / battery terminals as the problem.

NOTE: Technicians get paid by the flat rate. That means to test the electrical system and replace the battery might pay 0.4 of an hour, and even less if this is being done under warranty. My point being is: the technician likely rushed on your vehicle.
Hey, so the dealerships saying my issue is a faulty fuel pump, but I dont see how a fuel pump would cause gears to switch that seems more electrical.
The fuel pump I would say would cause me to lose power gradually causing a stall not a full power loss situation any ideas here thanks man

The dealerships also had my car for about 2 weeks now with barely any updates for me other than that

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
When technicians spend a large amount of time on a vehicle for diagnostics, they often need to find something to replace, even though they found nothing wrong. They need to justify their diagnostic pursuit and find a way to get paid. The factory won't pay for 5 hours of diagnostic time with nothing found. It sounds like a false warranty claim and they won't pay it. If they replace a fuel pump or whatever else they want then the claim appears real. Bring the vehicle back should it do it again. Might also help if you use your phone video camera to video the malfunction. Also keep in mind that Acura technicians are pretty good but don't always have the answer to every problem. New problems crop up all the time.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
IF it was the fuel pump as they say... its electrical so typcially when a fuel pump dies its like on > off the car dies sudenly. We have seen various issues on this site when a compennt fialed and many unrelated lights came on. So perhaps its was the fuel pump. If its been OK since that repair then I would run with it and see what happens. When Acura repairs a vehicle the "repair" was XX months of warrant... Its escapes me how long that it though.

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When technicians spend a large amount of time on a vehicle for diagnostics, they often need to find something to replace, even though they found nothing wrong. They need to justify their diagnostic pursuit and find a way to get paid. The factory won't pay for 5 hours of diagnostic time with nothing found. It sounds like a false warranty claim and they won't pay it. If they replace a fuel pump or whatever else they want then the claim appears real. Bring the vehicle back should it do it again. Might also help if you use your phone video camera to video the malfunction. Also keep in mind that Acura technicians are pretty good but don't always have the answer to every problem. New problems crop up all the time.
I see. Ya they told me to record it while it was happening but in my case that was not a possibility. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
IF it was the fuel pump as they say... its electrical so typcially when a fuel pump dies its like on > off the car dies sudenly. We have seen various issues on this site when a compennt fialed and many unrelated lights came on. So perhaps its was the fuel pump. If its been OK since that repair then I would run with it and see what happens. When Acura repairs a vehicle the "repair" was XX months of warrant... Its escapes me how long that it though.
If this is the case shouldn't I have received a letter stating my vehicle needed this recall work done. It's also weird the dealership didn't notice the many times I brought my car in for other issues. The recalls has been out since March 2019 well before I bought my car

But anyways youre saying that the 2017 TLX fuel pump is electrical? Im just worried its gonna happen and this time I can't avoid the accident like I did this time around

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can ask the dealer, your car might have had the recall performed already but regardless..... sh$$ fails.
Hey guys so the service advisor actually said the part wrong. They didn't replace my fuel pump they replaced a fuel pressure sensor which was causing a little tick in my engine bay. This repair however has no connection to what I reported and they just released me the car after driving it 90kms and holding it for 2 weeks. I dont know what else to do other than to maybe try going to an independant mechanic to see whats they can find as I dont feel 100% safe about driving it until something is found.

Ask for a reverse deal as Ive owned the car 6 months and its been in the shop for 7 weeks or 1.3months and they said they wont do that unless service says theres an issue.

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys so I've had my car back less than 2 days and already 2 incidents occurred.

Driving down the highway I lost both dual screens and audio, fearing it would lose full power again I got ready to prevent whatever outcome would happen thankfully after 5 minutes of so the dual screens came back on. No warnings or alarms they just cut out and I couldn't turn them back on. I couldn't record this as I was going pretty fast.

However 2nd incident leaving my home 1 block away audio and navigation cut out again but I pulled over and recorded the issue persisting even after cycling through the options. Called dealer and now I'm waiting for a resolution.

I've only driven about 140kms since the car was returned to me

·
Registered
Acura TLX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Theyre making me wait 2 weeks to get into service. Which is absurd considering these circumstances. I will begin looking into VSA rules and filing a complaint and escalating further if need be

1 - 13 of 13 Posts