Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance if this seems to be a no-brainier but...

Is it recommended to stop the vehicle before changing the IDS setting, or is this designed to be a change-on-the-fly control? I would imagine that it should be operable while moving without damaging the vehicle. I've waited to come to a complete stop prior to making this change just as a precaution, but I would like a definitive answer.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Totally agree with all above, and i switch IDS on the fly all the time.

The TLX is very software controlled, so if you break something i would blame the software first! Imho of course...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I was cruising in economy mode on the interstate last weekend, then dropped it into sport going through the reservoir pass, then up to normal for the coast highway.

But I'm finding myself driving in sport mode a lot. Let's face it. It's a lot more fun and the fuel economy is pretty good in any mode with my I-4...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
During my test drive, the salesmen pitch about the the IDS sounded very gimmicky. Wow, was he ever wrong. You really truly can feel the different settings.

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
Resurrecting this topic!
I too change on the fly. Sport is my preferred! But when I do want to change out of Sport, I need to pass Sport+ to get to either Economy or Normal. When I get to Sport+, the engine revs out of control for a short time. Is this the same behavior others have experienced?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I too change on the fly. Sport is my preferred! But when I do want to change out of Sport, I need to pass Sport+ to get to either Economy or Normal. When I get to Sport+, the engine revs out of control for a short time. Is this the same behavior others have experienced?
I don't think that's how my 2018 TLX behaves when I press IDS? I feel like I can cycle through modes and it doesn't take effect until I've momentarily stopped pressing the button to change? For example, if I'm in Normal and I press three times to go to Eco, it doesn't rev the engine as I cycle through Sport and Sport+ (unless I was to pause between button presses).

Totally agree with all above, and i switch IDS on the fly all the time.
The TLX is very software controlled, so if you break something i would blame the software first! Imho of course...
I doubt that you want to test that theory by pressing P or R next time you're driving forward at highway speeds? I'd be curious to know, but I'm not asking you to test for me.

During my test drive, the salesmen pitch about the the IDS sounded very gimmicky. Wow, was he ever wrong. You really truly can feel the different settings.
Heh, yes, that's actually kind of funny.

Though I really do want to customize each IDS mode's parameters. I really really really, desperately want to be given the option to change those settings. For example, I want to reduce throttle lag further in the "Sport" and "Sport+" modes. Perhaps also increase the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal slightly.

I imagine almost every TLX owner w/SH-AWD wants to be able to turn off VCM in "Sport" mode (not just "Sport+" mode). SH-AWD owners should also be given the option to disable the auto engine off by default (so they don't have to turn it off every time they start their car, if they don't want it).

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
I don't think that's how my 2018 TLX behaves when I press IDS? I feel like I can cycle through modes and it doesn't take effect until I've momentarily stopped pressing the button to change? For example, if I'm in Normal and I press three times to go to Eco, it doesn't rev the engine as I cycle through Sport and Sport+ (unless I was to pause between button presses).
So I am experiencing abnormal behavior? (engine rev's uncontrolled when arriving at Sport+, or passing Sport+ on the way to Economy/Normal/Sport)
How about any 2015/2016/2017 drivers?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'll try it a few times again today when I go out. Have you tried pressing the button fairly quickly to skip through modes to get to the one you want?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
So I am experiencing abnormal behavior? (engine rev's uncontrolled when arriving at Sport+, or passing Sport+ on the way to Economy/Normal/Sport)
Mine did rev a bit when hitting Sport+ but nothing I would consider uncontrolled. Maybe try another one out the next time you’re in for service to see if yours is different.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yes as you pass through Sport + it sets it so for a moment it does drop gears and rev up... I hate it.... I either leave in sport + and manual shift until have the car stopped. You could toss it in N when change the IDS and back to D... not sure though if that is any better. I wonder if they have a delay in the 2018 when changing modes. I must say though when I need Sport + to get some higher revs to help with deceleration... the quick response of the IDS is nice.

·
Super Moderator
1,054 Posts
Hi Gary,
I've owned a 2015 and now the 2018. Both are the 2.4L, I4 engine. In both cars I've always changed on the fly. Going from Econ to Sport and vice-versa. When I make the change (pushing the IDS button 3 times in succession), I don't recall ever experiencing an uncontrolled engine rev. I always cycle through pushing the button very quickly though, probably not enough time for the engine to react until the final button push (desired mode is achieved). Are you cycling through the IDS button slowly, pausing for any length of time between modes?

One reason why I ask that is I've noticed a distinct difference in the reaction time between the 2015 and the 2018 for the new mode to "kick in". In my 2015, the new mode kicked in almost instantly (~1 sec delay), while in my 2018, the delay is significantly longer (~4 sec delay).

·
Super Moderator
1,054 Posts
I wonder if they have a delay in the 2018 when changing modes.
Gonzo - see my other response to Gary. Yes indeed. There is a significantly longer delay in the mode change taking effect in the 2018. I noticed that right off the bat the first time I changed modes.

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
I played with it the best I could in the frigid temps here! (high of 0(F) tomorrow)
It does seem the mode is engaged immediately. (less than the 4 sec. noted by @hmbecker3)
I tried switching modes going at a constant speed (~40). There is a higher rev when I arrive at Sport+.
I'll ask next time I have service done to see if there is any thing that can be done.

FWIW: I maybe change modes once or twice a month!! I just had some time to add to this thread. Thanks to all that contributed. With the changes observed from 2015 >> 2018, it's clear Acura does pay attention to the details.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I played with it the best I could in the frigid temps here! (high of 0(F) tomorrow)
It does seem the mode is engaged immediately. (less than the 4 sec. noted by @hmbecker3)
I tried switching modes going at a constant speed (~40). There is a higher rev when I arrive at Sport+.
I'll ask next time I have service done to see if there is any thing that can be done.

FWIW: I maybe change modes once or twice a month!! I just had some time to add to this thread. Thanks to all that contributed. With the changes observed from 2015 >> 2018, it's clear Acura does pay attention to the details.
That sounds like the same as my ‘15. Definitely check when you take it in though.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
While you are at it ask them about the auto idle stop... I figure the dealer's answer will be the same for both questions buy never hurts to ask :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't found this (reving out of control when changing IDS modes).

In thinking about it it seems to me that if you were rapidly accelerating there might be some reving when changing modes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just chiming in to confirm I have the same experience in my 2015 TLX 2.4 DCT Tech. As I change through the IDS modes, the car changes behaviour almost instantly (including a jump in revs as I go to sport/sport+ (not sure which, specifically). I cycle through the modes fairly quickly (like < 1 sec presses).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts