Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the 2015 tlx, white with expresso interior 2.4 base and so far I love it! My last car was fully loaded with nav but I never used it because I liked the waze app much more for navigation.

I'm wondering what cellphone holder people are using and where are they placing it?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Just bought the 2015 tlx, white with expresso interior 2.4 base and so far I love it! My last car was fully loaded with nav but I never used it because I liked the waze app much more for navigation.

I'm wondering what cellphone holder people are using and where are they placing it?
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. :)

Use the search feature, I remember there being a post about this exact request.

Please tell us more about yourself and your TLX.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Amazon.com: [Lifetime Warranty] Okra® Universal Powerful Magnetic CD Slot Car Mount Cradle-less for all Smartphones & GPS, Apple iPhone 6 Plus 6 5S 5 4S Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note 4 3 2 (Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

Works great, but a few things....

I installed it reverse of the pic shown. It will block the top of the lower screen slightly. Its ok for me as I prefer to use WAZE as well.

Secondly, from time to time the round part with the magnets will loosen. Its the screw inside. I removed the ball and added some loctite on the small philips screw and put back. No problems.

Will not work with a thick battery case such as a mophie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I,also, prefer a CD slot mount. Wife and I find this style mount to be sturdy and less restrictive.

http://www.amazon.com/Caseology-One...ref_=mp_s_a_1_18&sr=8-18&tag=viglink125991-20

no magnets, you can use it with a Mophie case.

I bought 2 of these before I bought the Okra case. I thought design was flimsy and it does not hold the Mophie case. I wasn't happy about the stress put in the mount to place the phone in and out.

The mount is not deep enough for the Mophie case. At least for an iPhone 5 it's not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
317 Posts
That is not too bad at all. Anyone using that or something similar might want to have a look into photography products that can play into this, Manfrotto being one brand that carries poles and gripping systems for cameras that might help in mounting this phone mount somewhere else it wasn't design for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amazon.com: [Lifetime Warranty] Okra® Universal Powerful Magnetic CD Slot Car Mount Cradle-less for all Smartphones & GPS, Apple iPhone 6 Plus 6 5S 5 4S Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note 4 3 2 (Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

Works great, but a few things....

I installed it reverse of the pic shown. It will block the top of the lower screen slightly. Its ok for me as I prefer to use WAZE as well.

Secondly, from time to time the round part with the magnets will loosen. Its the screw inside. I removed the ball and added some loctite on the small philips screw and put back. No problems.

Will not work with a thick battery case such as a mophie.

Can't really use this one, I don't have or want a case on the phone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm hoping to find a mount like this one, shown on a Hyundai Sonata.

I'm hoping to find a mount like this one, shown on a Hyundai Sonata. Panavise makes a number of these, but nothing specifically for the TLX yet. Maybe one they make for another model will fit the Acura - I'm looking for ideas...

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm hoping to find a mount like this one, shown on a Hyundai Sonata. Panavise makes a number of these, but nothing specifically for the TLX yet. Maybe one they make for another model will fit the Acura - I'm looking for ideas...

Acura TLX 2015-2016 ProClip Angled Mount*-*ProClip USA

I would get this too but they do not make a holder part for my phone. I used them before, great quality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found the best spot for my cell. It has a rubber skin and it fits perfectly... in the huge cavity of the upper display! You already understood that I have no NAVI. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought an iottie off of amazon a year ago. Great mount! Just bought my second one for the tlx. Do not put it on the dash as it can ruin it. I put mine on the windshield by the left pillar right above the wheel. Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Windshield-Dashboard-One-Retail-Packaging-Black/dp/B007FHX9OK

I am also looking to buy something that attaches to the windshield. Does the iottie base leave a sticky residue on the glass?

Also, has anyone here tried holders that attach to the side airvents ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
It does leave some residue and it is really hard to get off. I had to use a paint scraper or a credit card. But guessing anything left over can be removed given it is on glass.

Not sure why they have to make it that dang sticky.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It does leave some residue and it is really hard to get off. I had to use a paint scraper or a credit card. But guessing anything left over can be removed given it is on glass.

Not sure why they have to make it that dang sticky.
Thanks Westlx, This is what I was afraid of. Also, after I posted, I found out that windshield attachments are illegal in some states (incl. our neighbors CT and VT). Going to try and air vent mount.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks Westlx, This is what I was afraid of. Also, after I posted, I found out that windshield attachments are illegal in some states (incl. our neighbors CT and VT). Going to try and air vent mount.
Just FYI: I found that air vent mounts don't work as well on the TLX... I had various ones on my TL and most worked okay. Switching from horizontal to vertical air vents actually (apparently) poses a bigger problem than I would have thought. Here is one I tried... and it wouldn't work unless you use two hands, and even so, it made marks on my plastic (maybe that was just the way I wanted to use it). http://amzn.com/B00JNJPS4W
I really liked that one in my TL... was sad I couldn't get it to work in the TLX.

Since I don't use the CD player nearly ever (all music on my phone)... i opted for a CD mount and it works great... I also have gone magnetic and I didn't know whether or not i would like it, but it's working great and I'm very pleased. When a power cable is plugged in, it does obscure the lower display, but I got over that pretty quick.
http://amzn.com/B00Z88SF8S

Additionally, I have 2 phones (work phone, personal phone)... and I found a magnetic air vent mount one that is certainly not perfect, but I mount my work phone to that and it works "okay".
http://amzn.com/B00YE6D7I8

I will take pictures of both holders in my TLX with and without phones attached later today and post tonight.

Reactions: Summest
1 - 20 of 24 Posts