Acura TLX Forum banner

Car locks when it feels like it!!

9K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Totalled 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have my car set to auto lock when I walk away from it but this feature doesn't always work!
It's supposed to beep twice the first beep is to let me know that the car is locked and the second beep is to engage the alarm. MOST times when I park and begin walking away I get a series of about 5-7 beeps and the car never locks nor does the alarm engage!
Is it something I'm doing wrong??

Thoughts?

#5 ·
Nice my stupid trunk opens when it feels like it!!!!!

Then I found out my driver key #2 is making the car freak out.

Switch the key with the other for several days don't use the one you're using now at all keep it at a distance and see if that helps ... It's been a month no surprise discovering my trunks open moments ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
Is it possible that you're walking away from the vehicle too quickly? The auto lock engages in about 2 seconds after the doors are closed and the key fob needs to be no farther than 5 feet away from the doors. And I believe (from the manual) that the first beep engages the auto lock system and the second beep actually locks the doors and simultaneously engages the alarm.

#12 ·
That's EXACTLY what it is! I went out and tested it and if I walk away too quiclky it does the 5-7 series of beeps!! So now I know I need to walk slowly away from my car. LOL!

Thanks everyone!!!

Reactions: hmbecker3
#16 ·
As many times as it takes for the car to beep: beep once for a lock beep twice for unlock. (this is as far as you really need to read the rest is just more info)

Sometimes I click it twice by accident when it worked because it was not connecting. Then I get a horn honk saying why you do that.

Used to have a car that no amount of clicking would connect the fob to the car had to manually lock it no matter where I was even though I had a fob with lock/unlock ability.
Some time I also forget I locked it and have to try to lock it from inside my apartment or far away. Lucky me my parking spot is right outside my bedroom window.

#18 ·
Let me stick my two cents in too. Had a simlar problem with a customer and it turned out that his pants were very tight and the button would press while in his pocket. The solution was to purchase a silicon FOB cover off ebay for $6. One other note is that like others have said, the second remote could be causing problems. A Faraday cage or wallet for the second remote ends that possibility. Lastly, change the battery in your remote. Yes, I know things still work and such, but even a slightly weak battery can cause havoc gremlins.

#26 ·
Keys and phones definitely have interactions and we know the phones can communicate with the car via AcuraLink.

I wonder what frequency band the keys operate in. I can find out about the phones...mine's a 4G/LTE phone and the car key won't even get detected by the car if too close to my phone.

Funny, though. My '14 MDX isn't so affected. Lemmee see what I can find out.

#27 ·
Thanks. The dealer couldn't find a problem and I had a fender bender 9 months ago, so I also had the body shop check to see if anything is loose. They found nothing as well.

The problem seems to have gone away. We've had some torrential rain here, and I'm thinking something might have gotten wet when i opened the door??? Fingers crossed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.