Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Car and Driver recently ranked entry-level luxury sedans, among them the TLX. Out of the 12 sedans ranked, the TLX came in at number 7 -- not bad. Below I have quoted what Car and Driver says about the TLX and I have also posted the full ranked list.

Acura likes to tout high-tech systems as the main selling points of its models, and the TLX is no exception; it offers four-wheel steering and torque-vectoring all-wheel drive to enhance its agility. The base powertrain is a 206-hp 2.4-liter four with an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic or a 290-hp 3.5-liter V-6 with a nine-speed automatic. The TLX has LED exterior lights and electronic driving assistants including AcuraLink, road-departure mitigation, and collision-mitigation braking. As an aside, one element of that inventory that could use a major overhaul is the center dash infotainment array, which may be the most bewildering system since the original BMW iDrive due to its multiple screens and myriad buttons. The TLX falls a bit short dynamically versus the leaders in the segment, but it does offer good value.
1. 2014 BMW 3-Series
2. BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe
3. Mercedes-Benz C-class
4. Cadillac ATS
5. Lexus IS
6. Audi A4
7. Acura TLX
8. Volvo S60
9. VW CC
10. Infiniti Q50
11. Buick Regal
12. Licnoln MKZ

Car and Driver

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the post. I don't know why everyone keeps ragging on the TLX's infotainment system... I don't see what's so confusing about it!

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Thanks for the post. I don't know why everyone keeps ragging on the TLX's infotainment system... I don't see what's so confusing about it!
It certainly has a learning curve. But as I become more familiar with it, I understand many of the nuances and why they exist.

Only good things from Acura going forward!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Infotainment dislike comes from not having the car long enough to review it. 1-2 weeks is not enough time to get comfy with the infotainment system.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just another illustration of the varied opinions of car reviewers and regular drivers. USNews/Alex on Autos/Consumer Reports/etc.....you could almost randomly list these cars and someone would agree or disagree. btw...I vote for the TLX

·
Registered
164 Posts
For one, I really like the dual screens. I also like having multiple ways of getting to the same screen without having to use a different menu. Sound adjustments, as an example.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Such a ranking is, I think, always subjective. And everybody may have different one.

For me, BMW 3 are not the same size as Acura TLX. I would have compared them to Acura ILX to stay in the same segment.
But otherwise, after testing them and price apart, I found BMW 3 was more "tiny sporty car". More dynamic, but it come at a price. It is a lot less comfortable to ride. I would have put in comparison for dynamics an Acura ILX "Type-R" in front of BMW3...

From personal taste, not as reliable as Acura and higher priced... a lot higher.... and I prefer dual screen in Acura than the system in BMW... After the learning curve, you can "drive" the infotainment with minimal seeing at the center screen. BMW you must always look at what you are trying to do.

Last impression... I felt like in my Mazda3 with the center screen in BMW3... I didn't felt like in the same luxury segment than Acura...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd be willing to say this is fairly accurate. I test drove pretty much every car on the list, with the exception of the Volvo and all the American cars. I almost got the BMW 4 series, but what led me to the TLX was the fact that it came with so many options to begin with, and I couldn't get over how much better it looks than the 4th gen TL. The TLX didn't feel as planted as some of the other cars, but we also have to remember that it's competing with a bunch of rear wheel drive cars. Lastly, I'd like to add that all of those cars are more expensive than the TLX, if they tested versions of those cars at the same price point as the TLX they would seriously be lacking. That being said, I love driving around and seeing tons and tons of those other cars listed above, but hardly see any TLXs. I believe I've only seen a total of 5 since I got mine back in April, but when I do see one it makes me happy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Plus one on the last two posts. If you are talking strictly driving dynamics the list is arguably in the proper order. But now let's throw something else into the equation. Start adding metallic paint, back-up camera, heated seats, moon roof, LED headlights - standard or no extra cost features in every TLX, or step it up a notch with navigation, blind spot monitoring, leather, 10 speaker high end sound system, LKAS etc. etc. and watch the list price on the others on that list shoot through the roof. Toss in dependability (based on recent history) and the outrageous maintenance costs on the Germans and that is why the TLX floated to #1 on my list.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would echo pretty much everybody else's sentiments here but there are a few considerations when it comes to C&D reviews. First, in a chicken and the egg scenario most of their reviewers admittedly have BMW's which begs the question; did they get sweetheart deals so they got them or are they such good cars that experienced reviewers prefer them? I'm a skeptic so I think the former, but hey, its a free continent.

Secondly, why would a company like US News that ranks the midsize luxury cars completely omits the BMW 3 series and only ranks the 5 as 8th on their list (curiously the TLX ranks 5th). I understand that there may be different criteria for ranking the vehicles but as many have stated some of their criticisms are inaccurate and I have driven the BMW X-Drive 335i and the torque vectoring is not as good as Audi's never mind Acura's.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
317 Posts
With the wealth of reviews out there especially with how easy it is to blog and vlog a C&D review should be a one of many reviews one reads/watches.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Has C&D ever given any BMW a bad review lol.

The TLX wins on price alone. Whats a similar spec'd BMW run? Here in Canada, a base model Xdrive 328 is about the same price as a loaded TLX.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What is more interesting than price point, is that if you don't take this price difference into account, Acura TLX still is better than BMW 3 and 5 series... for me at least.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think that the automotive world has been riding Acura like a sway back horse for a long time. In some instances, deserved. In some, not so much. A BMW, Audi, Infinity equipped like a loaded TLX is going to set you back an additional 10 grand. Equipped with all of the sport packages, summer tires, brembo brakes etc., it's no wonder that other vehicles will circle a race track faster than a TLX. I like that my car doesn't jar my fillings loose. Apples to apples people. Apples to apples.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Definitely a subjective list because it depends in large part on what you value most for your car. Value? Performance? Styling? Tech? etc...

I think infotainment systems are just easy targets for reviewers. No company has really mastered them yet. Most get ragged on for their system whatever it is.

Maybe things will change with the Apple and Google playing a much bigger role now.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
...I think infotainment systems are just easy targets for reviewers. No company has really mastered them yet. Most get ragged on for their system whatever it is.

Maybe things will change with the Apple and Google playing a much bigger role now.
And then it will be the Apple v. Google debate playing into the next reviews!

·
Registered
251 Posts
And then it will be the Apple v. Google debate playing into the next reviews!
I think one of the most interesting differences between Apple and Google is its use of information. Google sells information or uses it to create products, so that means that your driving habits could be used for whatever reason.

Apple doesn't make money off info, it sells products (Google is mostly free stuff). So Apple may be a safer bet when it comes to privacy concerns.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Maybe the debate begins ;)

I think we can find a lot of misleading information on Internet.
What Google and Apple are doing with our data is another thing as Privacy... and being honest Apple is also using this data to create products for his customers. Only they don't talk a lot about what they do. We can find a lot of information on what google is doing on a lot of projects they made.

Both are big companies and I think they will never refuse some income benefit using data we give willingly to them !

Apart that, security side, Google cloud services for enterprises are far more secure and privacy-wise than Apple ones. Even on mobile phones, there is a lot more security available for enterprise users with android phone than iphones (an issue I am facing today as every manager wants an iphone...).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts