Acura TLX Forum banner

Calipers

12K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  kkarachris 
#1 ·
I was thinking of getting my calipers painted red. I’d like to be able to add “Acura” in white on the front calipers and “TLX” in white on the rear calipers. Curious as to anyone’s thoughts on this. And also, if anyone knows anywhere this can be done for a reasonable price. I’m in York, On. Thanks! Drive safe

P.S I’d like the red to match the “A” in aspec

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have Caliper covers on Mine that are exactly what you described (minus the matching red A-spec color). Getting them painted isn't crazy expensive, around $200-$300 for most cars. With a non-standard paint color it would be much more expensive, so you'd have to get quotes for that one. I know I was quoted $230 for standard red paint when I wanted to do mine. If you wanted "Acura" and "TLX" painted on that would be much more expensive. I think your best bet is the caliper covers or just a color matched red.

#14 ·
I don't really understand the red/yellow/blue/green caliper thing. Yes, they can look good if they're good-looking pieces to begin with, but I agree... ours should be black or silver.

I plan to paint mine black and install a set of RDX caliper covers this summer. This thread is where I got the idea: DIY: RDX caliper covers

Reactions: MarcoTLX
#16 · (Edited)
I got my calipers painted when they started to rust. One year later the rust was coming back. I think trying to make OEM calipers look like Bembros by painting them red looks lame. You’ve got a classy luxury car there, don’t go all Honda Civic teenager mod-boy on it, stay in your lane. If you do go for paint, be aware it does not last, and when it starts coming off it’s going to look really bad. When the paint job I got started to fail one year later, I got them powder coated the original silver, at JP Powder Coating in Waterloo. No regrets at all, powder coating is the way to go! They do have to fully disassemble your brakes, that includes removing any rubber gaskets or else! Powder coating is high heat, bare calipers only. Well worth it. Picture attached.

#17 ·
I got my calipers painted when they started to rust. One year later the rust was coming back. I think trying to make OEM calipers look like Bembros by painting them red looks lame. You’ve got a classy luxury car there, don’t go all Honda Civic teenager mod-boy on it, stay in your lane. If you do go for paint, be aware it does not last, and when it starts coming off it’s going to look really bad. When the paint job I got started to fail one year later, I got them powder coated the original silver, at JP Powder Coating in Waterloo. No regrets at all, powder coating is the way to go! They do have to fully disassemble your brakes, that includes removing any rubber gaskets or else! Powder coating is high heat, bare calipers only. Well worth it. Picture attached.

View attachment 26109 View attachment 26115

View attachment 26109 View attachment 26115
Can I ask how much you paid? Also, how long did it take for them to powder coat?

#23 ·
Great idea.. what got me started down this road was that my stock ones are getting rusty..

I've been converted over the past 48hrs from "I want to tuner mod my TLX" to "I want to make it UBER-STOCK" with maybe some blackout of the chrome. If I want a race car, i should buy one.. not try and convert a perfectly good 4 door sports sedan into a race car.

Thank you all for your insights..

J

#24 ·
Great idea.. what got me started down this road was that my stock ones are getting rusty..

I've been converted over the past 48hrs from "I want to tuner mod my TLX" to "I want to make it UBER-STOCK" with maybe some blackout of the chrome. If I want a race car, i should buy one.. not try and convert a perfectly good 4 door sports sedan into a race car.

Thank you all for your insights..

J
I did make one actual “mod”, which was adjustable coilovers. The OEM suspension was driving me crazy (I don’t have the A-Spec). I’m the process I lowered the car about an inch and a half and it totally changed the look, in a good way. It looks totally stock, but low. And tinted windows of course.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Bicycle part Cameras & optics Automotive wheel system

#25 ·
To each is own on this. Durability depends on the paint you use and the weather conditions the vehicle is exposed to. Here in SoCal where we don’t get snow, ice and salt on the roads, a decent paint is very durable IF you prep the calipers properly. I media blasted mine before I painted them to have a non-greasy surface to adhere to. Some may not like the red, that’s fine; I’ve had nothing but positive comments against the gray wheels and white paint. Good luck in your choice.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Automotive design

#30 ·
Great upgrade for Sale I never installed, wife taking over car, I have 2023 Type S on Order. Kit on Sale on Ebay. All Brand New.
07-08Type S Brembo Brake Direct Bolt On Conversion Kit for 2015-20 ACURA TLX | eBay

This is Acura OEM Brembo Big Brake Direct Bolt Kit for 2015-2020 Acura TLX.
This kit uses Acura parts from the 2007 - 2008 TL Type S. (Type S Caliper, Type S Rotor, and Type S Brake pads)
The kit includes parts from the 2020 TLX (Caliper Bolts-requires shorter bolts which the ones from 2020 TLX will work, Oil Bolt, and Oil Gaskets)

The caliper is machined to center to the rotor which is also from the. The rotor will fit on hub as it is the same 5 x 114 bolt pattern and has the same 64mm hub centric hole. The brake line from the 2020 TLX will work, new components included in kit for redundancy.

The kit also requires you to modify the brake dust shield for the caliper to be mounted.

The caliper will not clear stock wheels all sizes, spacer must be used.
Aftermarket Wheels might Clear others might not, depends on the wheel design and might require spacer
The minimum size of wheels the calipers will clear are 17 inches diameter. Typically lower offset wheels clear easier.
Every wheel design does play a big factor in clearing the calipers. The approximate clearance you need is 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches from the rotor to the wheel spokes.

#31 ·
Great upgrade for Sale I never installed, wife taking over car, I have 2023 Type S on Order. Kit on Sale on Ebay. All Brand New.
07-08Type S Brembo Brake Direct Bolt On Conversion Kit for 2015-20 ACURA TLX | eBay

This kit uses Acura parts from the 2007 - 2008 TL Type S. (Type S Caliper, Type S Rotor, and Type S Brake pads)
The kit includes parts from the 2020 TLX (Caliper Bolts-requires shorter bolts which the ones from 2020 TLX will work, Oil Bolt, and Oil Gaskets)

The caliper is machined to center to the rotor which is also from the. The rotor will fit on hub as it is the same 5 x 114 bolt pattern and has the same 64mm hub centric hole. The brake line from the 2020 TLX will work, new components included in kit for redundancy.

The kit also requires you to modify the brake dust shield for the caliper to be mounted.

Aftermarket Wheels might Clear others might not, depends on the wheel design and might require spacer
The minimum size of wheels the calipers will clear are 17 inches diameter. Typically lower offset wheels clear easier.
Every wheel design does play a big factor in clearing the calipers. The approximate clearance you need is 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches from the rotor to the wheel spokes.

Attachments

#32 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.