Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 2 Acura with this feature: a 2014 MDX and a 2015 TLX. But both behave quite differently. The MDX seems to be very reliable and comes on whenever a car comes in your blind spot and very rarely comes on for no apparent good reason. On the other hand, the TLX gives me a lot of false positive, in other works very often it will light when there are no cars in your blind spot; sometimes I thing lamp post sets it off. Are the sensor different or is it just the programming? Has anyone experienced the same issue? Any ideas?

·
Registered
438 Posts
mine seems to function okay

though this morning, just during one trip, the BRAKE warning light (forward collision warning system) came up every now and then when it's perfectly safe.

that said, it was raining this morning, so maybe the sensor got a bit screwed up in the rain, but now its okay after the rain stopped

Reactions: pterodactyl73

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have no experience driving any other cars with BSI, and have not had or noticed any false positives in the 10 weeks of ownership. The indicators seem to come on according to the specs in the handbook (3m behind to about the rear just passing the driver position), but I have to do some tests with my passenger side indicator that seems to have a shorter alert zone.

I have noticed that cars with BSI in their side mirrors seem to have a longer alert zone (starting father back).

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Same here. I've had the TLX since 9/12/14 and BSI works fine with no false alarms.

I have found LDW to be more sensitive, but I haven't made any settings adjustments yet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same here, BSI works as expected - no false positive.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nothing in that regard, although in heavy rain the LKAS seems to understandably search without finding the lanes. That said I would always trust myself before the tech and in light rain and dry its been perfect.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Nothing in that regard, although in heavy rain the LKAS seems to understandably search without finding the lanes. That said I would always trust myself before the tech and in light rain and dry its been perfect.
True. I have seen where the lines are dirty or faded and blend into the faded asphalt LKAS cannot see the lines.

I imagine snow-bound drivers will have issues with the snow covering the lines.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just a quick question, I noticed BSI doesn't seem to work during low speeds <20mph about, is that correct or is it an issue? I don't see anything mentioned about speed in it, and I would think speed shouldn't affect the BSI.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Just a quick question, I noticed BSI doesn't seem to work during low speeds <20mph about, is that correct or is it an issue? I don't see anything mentioned about speed in it, and I would think speed shouldn't affect the BSI.
I'll need to confirm tomorrow but I believe it works at low speeds as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is correct; Blind Spot monitor does not come on until 20 mph (or km equivalent).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wish it turned on earlier, it would be so helpful during those early morning rushhour merges where visibility is limited. Thanks for lettting me know BSI is acting correct.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think there is also a differential speed limit between you and the target. If either is moving too fast or slow compared to the other, there will be no indication

Watch out as that NSX blows past you!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It was my understanding that its strickly based on your vehicle speed... over 20 MPH its active below nada.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There must be some patent restrictions involved as the reason why it was implemented to only work after a certain speed. Or maybe this technical version is more cost effective than the other.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I personally prefer it as it is... when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic / at a multi land traffic light I don't need the light on anytime something is near me. I like only knowing when I'm moving and 20 IMHO is about the right speed. I think if the light comes on too much you will get desensitized to it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I personally prefer it as it is... when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic / at a multi land traffic light I don't need the light on anytime something is near me. I like only knowing when I'm moving and 20 IMHO is about the right speed. I think if the light comes on too much you will get desensitized to it.
That's exactly the issue with my wife's Mazda. Apart a lot of errors (dealer tried to reset and re-calibrate it but with no luck), it beeps when you turn at lights... and it make you less confident and not always aware of its alerts...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
When the TLX turning at lights below 20 MPH the BSI is illuminated or is that your wife's Mazda?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts