Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hoping to drop a few lines and share my joy earlier but since we got the car I have been totally consumed by the experience and I am so glad I had a full weekend for this fun.

Got to the dealer after work on Friday, the car was ready and we even walked by it but I didn't realize that the Acura “grey” color was so dark so we just ignored it and walked inside. It is different than black but definitely not grey. It is really a graphite kind and more on the darker side. It will take me a while to get used to it but I am not going to deny that the car looks really sharp in this color and the ebony interior, complemented by the shiny rims and with the LED DTL on. As with many cars and colors these days, my TLX shows different shades of “gray", depending on the time of day. Pictures can be found in my “J233’s TLX” album (taken in the early morning sun and by a cell camera, sorry)

So I did my own inspection before I signed the last doc and of course, lucky me, I found right away a small paint chip on the bottom of the passenger door. I don’t want any beauty marks and told them that this was not acceptable. I know that this problem can be fixed in a way that it will not be visible and they don’t have to repaint the door so I was not really happy about that. I understand that things can happened in transport, etc, but it turned out that they had the car for 3 days and had enough time to fix it in a proper way (with clear coat fix). Needless to say, the car is going back to the dealer next week because it was too late to do anything on Friday evening of course and I didn't want to leave the car for the weekend. On a happier note, I noticed that they filled the tank for me.

Soon we left the place and drove home, combination of highway and city driving – what a joy! The car is really a marvel of engineering and amazing to drive and this premium sound system is just phenomenal. Had to show it to my two friends on the same evening, one is a Lexus guy and the other one more of an Audi guy. Could not kick them out from the car!. Although we didn't really push the engine too hard they had nothing but praise for my TLX, they just loved it. They were both surprised how the car handles, especially when cornering and how peppy the I4 is. Of course the fit and finish, etc.

A few additional observations:
1.Put about 200 miles on the car already in mixed driving and the observed mileage is as advertised. I will put Mobil 1 synthetic 0-20 oil at the first oil change and will see if this will have any impact on the mileage (+plus engine break-in) .
2.Was not aware of Driver 1 and Driver 2 “depth of separation”. Looks like the alignment with each driver is quite broad and it includes Navi and the "Shortcuts" on the lower screen, not only mirrors and driver’s seat position
3.Really like the Shortcuts concept as it allows for quick calls, navi, climate and preset music choices once you are done with the setup
4.Voice command/recognition is not bad but the fact that you need to click twice the voice button on the steering wheel every time you want smth or made a mistake and need to repeat the command is annoying and time consuming (hence my like of the Shortcuts). It is also a hit or miss with understanding words but that’s expected.
5.Didn't notice any performance issues with the tires although I didn’t push the car hard; remember that some reviewers were complaining about the OEM Goodyers.
6.I’ve paired up 3 cells, 2 androids and 1 Blackberry – all work great and are fully compatible with the system but none got a choice of an email setup vs. SMS. Maybe I’ve missed smth but all of the three phones can just send or accept text, not email.
7.LKAS, and other safety features work great and as expected. I think I will be using LKAS with line departure feature on longer trips when I feel a bit tired. You can definitely feel the “presence” of the system on the steering wheel with the feature on and I think I prefer driving solo 
8.Truly impressed with the LED lights, as good as Xenon lights I have on my Outlook XR crossover or even stronger.
9.IDS cycling through the choices is OK if you do it once or twice a week but a single choice mechanism would be better for those of us who prefer changing the dynamics while driving.

I think this is it, very happy with my TLX! Btw, so far the tranny works great and the electronics are not showing any errors – knock the wood :)

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrats and thanks for the review. So how do all the lights work? Are three of the LEDs used for low beam and two for high beam, or do they all work for both? Are the DRL LEDs dimmer? Are there parking lights in addition to the LEDs?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats and thanks for the review. So how do all the lights work? Are three of the LEDs used for low beam and two for high beam, or do they all work for both? Are the DRL LEDs dimmer? Are there parking lights in addition to the LEDs?
Thank you !

Yes to all of the three lights questions.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I was hoping to drop a few lines and share my joy earlier but since we got the car I have been totally consumed by the experience and I am so glad I had a full weekend for this fun.
Great review. I am glad you like it. I sure like mine as well.

I love the color of your car in the sunlight, I just wish we had 24 hours of daylight to enjoy it. I am not ready to move to Alaska.:)

Have fun!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just for everyone info the DRL are a second set of LED located just above the regular LED lights. The DRL LED are not really dimmer just not so powerfull. Great car by the way. I hace the same color for my 2014 MDX and will probably get the same color for my TLX SH-AWD Techno...in a few weeks or so :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great review. I am glad you like it. I sure like mine as well.

I love the color of your car in the sunlight, I just wish we had 24 hours of daylight to enjoy it. I am not ready to move to Alaska.:)

Have fun!
Thank you Summest ! You are right, it looks awesome in the sunlight. Btw, all your links to the videos and inputs about the electronics have been very helpful in learning all this stuff - saved a lot of time on the try this or try that things :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just for everyone info the DRL are a second set of LED located just above the regular LED lights. The DRL LED are not really dimmer just not so powerfull. Great car by the way. I hace the same color for my 2014 MDX and will probably get the same color for my TLX SH-AWD Techno...in a few weeks or so :)
Hmm, that's interesting. I just didn't notice the second row. In the no LED configuration, DRL are just high beams with low voltage.

Right, I saw an MDX on the floor but you need to see it in TLX; I think there is a bit of a difference or maybe it just my eyes:)

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. I just didn't notice the second row. In the no LED configuration, DRL are just high beams with low voltage.

Right, I saw an MDX on the floor but you need to see it in TLX; I think there is a bit of a difference or maybe it just my eyes:)
Just for everyone info the DRL are a second set of LED located just above the regular LED lights.
Like J233 has said, I was under the same impression.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Drl

Here is a good pic showing the DRL and you can see that it is made up by a series of LED located slightly above the regular light LED.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the pic McVStar. I wonder if the US guys got DRLs too. Any pics of the high beam vs. low beam? I assume the DRLs turn on when the low beams come on, right?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Thanks for the pic McVStar. I wonder if the US guys got DRLs too. Any pics of the high beam vs. low beam? I assume the DRLs turn on when the low beams come on, right?
By DRL, you mean Daytime Running Lights?

When the headlights are turned off completely, all 5 lights on each side are on. When the low beams (three outside lights) come on, the DRLs go out. When high beams come on the two lights toward the middle of the car come on and are brighter in addition to the low beams. Once you turn off the headlights, the DRLs come back on. This has been my observation. I did not notice two levels of lights, but if they are there, I don't see two rows lit at any time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True. I think the DRLs can be turned off for the US models by switching to OFF. In Canadian models, the contol will spring back to Auto right away since DRLs are mandatory in all Canadian provinces and territories.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
True. I think the DRLs can be turned off for the US models by switching to OFF. In Canadian models, the contol will spring back to Auto right away since DRLs are mandatory in all Canadian provinces and territories.
When I switch the headlights to OFF, the DRLs are still on. The only way to get them to go out completely is to turn the car off and let the timer time out. :)

This is the same way my previous TLX acted.

I remember a long time ago, DRLs were called CDLs. In the USA, I believe the state of California had driving lights before us so I thought they were California Driving Lights. Now I look back, maybe they were Canadian Driving Lights?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts