Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They called acura headquarters and they didn't have a tranny related ecu update. They said no one has brought in a tlx for tranny issues yet. I was tempted to print out pages from this and other tlx related forums. :confused::rolleyes: atleast they told me to leave it there for the night and gave me a rdx loaner. The service advisor actually told me to let it get worse so they could have an easier time diagnosing the issue.. which actually makes sense as long as it is covered by warranty. I'm grateful i bought 120k acura care now.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yea, the 120k Acura care thing must seem like a good investment now. Too bad you are having problems already. Hopefully they will fix things quickly. So are you going to hear back from them tomorrow then?

·
Registered
317 Posts
It sucks to be going through an issue like that on a vehicle you just recently bought as new but at least the dealer took care of you really well and provided you with an RDX, that's one area i have known acura dealers to do well with, customer service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same thing. Looks like Im one of the lucky ones to purchase a tlx with almost all the symptoms listed between this site and acurazine... :( I'm starting to verge towards the thought of regretting our recent purchase with Acura. Well our tlx is going in next Monday for these reasons..

1. Evertime cold start 1-2 shifts are hard

2. on stop and go traffic the trasmission is jerky (almost everytime)

3.After driving 1mile or so and coming to a complete stop especially during cold start the transmission lunges forward very hard ( like some one rear ended) doesn't happen all the time but happens often to dislike.

4. when slowing down (say coming to a traffic light and not coming to complete stop and making right or left turn at say about 10mph speed or so and hit on the gas pedal to speed up, the transmission hesitates and doesnt know which gear to engage thus making very jerky feel.

5. When switching from reverse to drive , has a bad 2-4 second lag before switching and just rolls backward.

6. Huge rattle on rear right speaker near trunk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also continue to have a number of the symptoms mentioned Uryelowducky related to the transmission as per previous posts. I just scanned the Acurazine site and there are a number of reports there too. One in particular reported a very dangerous lag when the driver (during a test drive no less!) was turning back into to the dealership. I have only experienced a lag when shifting from reverse to drive, but it is significant. Despite the dealership having "rebooted" the system, I continue to experience a severe kick down when coming to a stop. No matter how many times, I check my rearview to see who has hit me from behind. My wife is now so concerned that she refuses to drive the car. She thinks it's too dangerous. Acura needs to find a fix asap or recall the cars before someone gets seriously hurt! Perhaps naive of me, but I really question why Acura continues to advertise a car that is ultimately going ruin their reputation. They need to fix the problem, fix the cars they have already sold (or take them back) before selling more to unsuspecting customers. What a shame, the car has so much potential.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That was the bigger problem for me was the reverse lag as far as safety goes. I made note of it on a different tranmission thread about how my wife almost rolled back into my other car because of that lag. As a male who drives manual, I'm quick footed when it comes to cars rolling back but for most of our lovely lady counter parts, they do not have the same reflexes as us who are familiar with manuals. Also from a stand still, sometimes the Dct lags to get into gear also. I tried to exit my drive way to merge onto the streets, had sufficient room to merge but the Dct lagged when I stepped on the gas, after about 2 seconds it lunges forward and the on coming traffic almost tbones me. At this point it's no longer a nuisance but straight up a safety hazard. We are risking our lives everytime we drive this vehicle and rely on the Dct...

·
Registered
317 Posts
1. Evertime cold start 1-2 shifts are hard

2. on stop and go traffic the trasmission is jerky (almost everytime)

3.After driving 1mile or so and coming to a complete stop especially during cold start the transmission lunges forward very hard ( like some one rear ended) doesn't happen all the time but happens often to dislike.

4. when slowing down (say coming to a traffic light and not coming to complete stop and making right or left turn at say about 10mph speed or so and hit on the gas pedal to speed up, the transmission hesitates and doesnt know which gear to engage thus making very jerky feel.

5. When switching from reverse to drive , has a bad 2-4 second lag before switching and just rolls backward.

6. Huge rattle on rear right speaker near trunk
Well, not sure if this is going to make you feel better but the 1-5 from your list do apply to my TLX as well. Two very minor differences - for #5 , I've only experienced this twice in two months of the ownership. Second difference - Issue 1-4 not limited to cold transmission fluid or cold weather. Today, we had a very cold day and the car was parked outside the whole day. It took a long time for the engine temperature gauge to climb a notch and the car was stiff from the cold but the tranny was working OK on the way back home. Then, at the last intersection before reaching home, after driving for about 20 minutes ( the car was warm and so was the engine) it lunged hard (and it was in Sport mode). It is really hard to predict the behaviour as all these issues happen randomly here and there and out of whack, which makes this entire experience even worse. Driving in stop and go traffic can be a real pain as the tranny is either jerky or hesitates. Driving experience focuses now on how this thing is going to take off - harshly or it will hesitate. At times, I feel like i am driving a car with a very dirty carburetor::crying::

Remember reading somewhere back in the early summer that the TLX launch was delayed for a few weeks as they wanted to make sure that everything was peachy and perfect. Well, obviously they missed smth big time as it looks like this famous DCT is going to be famous for a very bad reason.
And I am at loss why they are in denial if there are so many I4 owners complaining about the tranny.
Now I am thinking I should have bought the V6 as I originally planned.....water under the bridge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sigh. We were cross shopping between a fully loaded v6 accord, the tlx, and a base is250.

During the test drive, I was driving it more agressive which when driven like that, the Dct response is great and nimble. But as soon as we brought it home and drove it in more realistic day to day driving, the real behavior of the Dct appears and it sucks for daily driving/stop and go traffic.

So for all other people wanting to purchase this vehicle, keep that in mind. Text drive it thoroughly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Right. Actually, I test drove I4 three times, three different vehicles - no issue. The last test was an extended one, more than an hr long - city, highway, city again, traffic, fast ride - you name it. No issue whatsoever, loved the ride and decided to go with the I4 version instead of V6.
When we got our TLX everything was fine for the first few hundred kms and then slowly, we've started experiencing the issues, one by one.
I was contemplating Honda V6 touring as well but really liked the TLX more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They called acura headquarters and they didn't have a tranny related ecu update. They said no one has brought in a tlx for tranny issues yet. I was tempted to print out pages from this and other tlx related forums. :confused::rolleyes: atleast they told me to leave it there for the night and gave me a rdx loaner. The service advisor actually told me to let it get worse so they could have an easier time diagnosing the issue.. which actually makes sense as long as it is covered by warranty. I'm grateful i bought 120k acura care now.
I took my TLX back for hard shifts when cold in Oct. They say Acura is working on a fix. A factory rep drove my car and the dealer agrees there is an issue. I may seek lemon law protection as the cold snap has made it worse with the car hesitating when accelerating leaving you watching on coming traffic coming at you while you wait

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Tell Acura

I hope everyone has contacted Acura Customer Relations to let them know of your frustrations.

This should be done in addition to working with the dealer.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I found this posted elsewhere. I am not sure if we could use this to our advantage somehow in order to get the correct fix/resolution...

===START===

I currently live in IA and as I said in my post, my Acura dealership or technician didn't know of any ECU/PCM updates that could be performed until contacting Acura.

My service invoice reads as follows:

"Customer states the transmission shifts hard when going between first and second gear when accelerating and decelerating slowly. Check and advise to test drive with technician.

Updated PCM Software

Test drove with customer. Took several snapshots of transmission software. Called the tech line #364-5292 . Updated the PCM software. Will be coming out with another software update at the end of the month. Miles in 2383. Miles out 2389."

===END===

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
On another forum I see even more and more people apply the ECU update and their problem has been resolved or very close to being resolved. There seems to have been an easier release of the ECU update. Two report that the latest ECU update fixes the problem.

I'd push for a ECU Update when speaking with the dealer and Acura. Some people are getting the update. It's unfortunate that communications between Acura and the dealers is this weak.

My Tranny is working swell. I figured I may ask for the ECU update on my first oil change along with my ELS/NAV/HFL update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Contacted Acura customer relations and logged my complaint. They had no information about a recall/update but at least it is now documented that I called in. I advise everyone to do the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have experienced every single problem identified by Uryelowducky, except the one when shifting from R-D or vice versa. Note that I have the V6 FWD, so anyone wishing they got the V6 instead of the I4, think again . The rattle in the back turned out to be missing bolts for one of the speakers! I am taking the car in on Wednesday for the navi software update, and will be informing them of the transmission issues as well. Wish me luck!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have experienced every single problem identified by Uryelowducky, except the one when shifting from R-D or vice versa. Note that I have the V6 FWD, so anyone wishing they got the V6 instead of the I4, think again . The rattle in the back turned out to be missing bolts for one of the speakers! I am taking the car in on Wednesday for the navi software update, and will be informing them of the transmission issues as well. Wish me luck!
Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum! Sorry I missed your first post.

Maybe hit them up for the ECU update. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had #4 occur maybe twice. In fact tried to replicate it on my morning drive and couldn't. More prevalent is #5 and I didn't even recognize it as an issue until you pointed it out here..thank you. Clearly not a car person however I am a lady with quick feet so I haven't run into anyone while backing up :). Adding it to my list to talk to them about. I am still enjoying my car. I have to say I love it and feel lucky not to have more of these issues.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.