Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just picked up my TLX last night. Does anyone have any ideas on whether I need to break in the engine or not?
I've heard various things like with these newer cars you don't need to etc...
Thanks, and what a great forum!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Recommended break-in period are relatively short considering the length of time you'll drive your car. The manufacturer recommends a break-in period and that is good enough for me. Let's put it this; break-in will never cause harm to your car, on the other end abusing our car ealy can very likely lead to issues later on...so take the time to break in your car.

My 2 cents worth

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Hi everyone. I just picked up my TLX last night. Does anyone have any ideas on whether I need to break in the engine or not?
I've heard various things like with these newer cars you don't need to etc...
Thanks, and what a great forum!
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the Forum!

Ever since I owned an Acura they said break-in is easy. Drive at variable speeds for first 600 miles; don't stay at the same speeds for an extended period of time. Also don't drive like a madman.

I will hit 1,000 miles on the way home. I can now drive like a madman. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Somebody posted a note on this forum that the break in for TLX is 600 miles and I think this is a general standard.
I am 50% done with mine as of today; trying to drive it gently, no redlining the engine and also with a mix of stop and go and higway driving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Car engines have come a long way. Engines are made to tighter tolerances, new technology, and computer control is standard. Not to mention engines get more testing before they leave the factory.

With this in mind I don't think breaking in is as important as it used to be. I wouldn't worry too much. But I wouldn't try for top speed, or use cruise control for more than an hour.

BTW, Warming up the engine when you start it is something that is not really needed any more either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2015 TLX V6 FWD this week and put about 150 miles on it around town.

I need to make a 700 mile (round trip) drive next week and understand that while there isn't a real break in period that some are saying don't use the cruise control for the first 1500 miles.

1. What is the reasoning for that?
2. How strictly should that be followed?

Hate to not use the CC on 2 six hour drives!

Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Just purchased a 2015 TLX V6 FWD this week and put about 150 miles on it around town.

I need to make a 700 mile (round trip) drive next week and understand that while there isn't a real break in period that some are saying don't use the cruise control for the first 1500 miles.

1. What is the reasoning for that?
2. How strictly should that be followed?

Hate to not use the CC on 2 six hour drives!

Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see you made your first post.

Break-in is not as tough as it used to be. I was told that you want to vary the speed while you drive for the first 600 miles. Don't do any hard starts or stops, but otherwise drive normal. This has always worked for me with my Hondas and Acuras.

Not sure why you have to vary the speed. Couldn't find anything conclusive online.

So far I am around 5,600 miles on my TLX. All is good.

Got any photos of your TLX? What color combo did you get?

:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I recall that varying the speed helps with valves and rings seating properly, and it is also beneficial for tires being correctly seated. The latter also applies when new tires are installed.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I recall that varying the speed helps with valves and rings seating properly, and it is also beneficial for tires being correctly seated. The latter also applies when new tires are installed.
Agree with @TLX2014, a gentle but changing speed approach is best. Pretty sure avoiding CC on a car like this should be easy!

I am wishing for a long ride...😎

·
Registered
134 Posts
BTW, Warming up the engine when you start it is something that is not really needed any more either.
Actually, while that may be true for Honda/Acura in general, if you review the transmission specs from ZF they always advise a good general warm up (about 10 minutes I think they said). Otherwise you will experience significantly rougher shifting and it wears hard on the tranny. This is of course only for the V6, as there is no such advice for the I4 that I have been able to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recommended break-in period are relatively short considering the length of time you'll drive your car. The manufacturer recommends a break-in period and that is good enough for me. Let's put it this; break-in will never cause harm to your car, on the other end abusing our car ealy can very likely lead to issues later on...so take the time to break in your car.

My 2 cents worth

i've been driving my car on ECON mode this whole time for the break in period. to me, break in period is 1500 miles. i will be hitting 1500 today! time to change it to sport mode!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old post but been searching the boards for what is a good recommended break in period and first oil change. New car engines give off a lot of metal residue when there first driven as stated on these and other boards. I have heard from others where new car owners have had their oil tested at the first 1500 miles since initial break-in creates a lot of churn and metal deposits in the Oil. Some believe that 1500 miles you should have your first oil change. What say you TLX owners? THanks,

- Omenx

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
I know this is an old post but been searching the boards for what is a good recommended break in period and first oil change. New car engines give off a lot of metal residue when there first driven as stated on these and other boards. I have heard from others where new car owners have had their oil tested at the first 1500 miles since initial break-in creates a lot of churn and metal deposits in the Oil. Some believe that 1500 miles you should have your first oil change. What say you TLX owners? THanks,

- Omenx
I usually trust the manufacturer’s engineers and go with what they recommend.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Yes, I’ve read the posts about the oil testing after a certain number of miles. My opinion is that I go with what the Acura engineers recommend. In the end, it’s your car so absolutely do what makes you feel comfortable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts