Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
TLX is ~ 33,000 miles and already have brake issues. I am not heavy on the brakes and my commute is not on major congested highways.

I've noticed two issues:

(1) When braking during highway speeds, steering wheel starts to shake.
(2) When braking for a traffic light to full stop, car (not the break pedal) starts to pulsate during deceleration in between 30mph and 0mph.

I've had many Accords before, and this issue is all the same with each of the Accords I had. I am surprised to see the same on the TLX with 33K miles.

As far as I know, usual suspects are: warped rotors or uneven rotors that need to be resurfaced. In either case, are these covered by the warranty?

·
Super Moderator
869 Posts
As you suspect: (1) sounds like a warped rotor. (2) could be the transmission downshifting irregularly.
Either one, since you are still under warranty, I would have Acura look at each issue. Let them either cover it under warranty or tell you what the problem is.
Let us know what you find out.

Reactions: tlxfan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, dealership guy who did the initial paperwork said the issues are regular wear and tear which means the rotors need to be resurfaced. No comment.

@gary325 (2) is not the transmission as I can replicate the same when on Neutral.

They are still looking at it and will let you know once get it back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They came back with the finding that at highway speed rotors starting to warp and recommend to machine front and rear break rotors. Of course, this has been caused by my driving habits and won't be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
How did we determine that bad driving habits caused wrapped rotors?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello All,
TLX is ~ 33,000 miles and already have brake issues. I am not heavy on the brakes and my commute is not on major congested highways.

I've noticed two issues:

(1) When braking during highway speeds, steering wheel starts to shake.
(2) When braking for a traffic light to full stop, car (not the break pedal) starts to pulsate during deceleration in between 30mph and 0mph.

I've had many Accords before, and this issue is all the same with each of the Accords I had. I am surprised to see the same on the TLX with 33K miles.

As far as I know, usual suspects are: warped rotors or uneven rotors that need to be resurfaced. In either case, are these covered by the warranty?
That's rather quick to have break issues. I know you say it's not your driving habits but is it possible you brake more than you realize? I see people hitting the brakes in front of me when all they had to do was let off of the accelerator. That can add up over 30k miles of driving and wear them down when it may be 50k before replacing anything. There could also be an issue that's wearing them down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I think I know what I am doing having in mind the front pads of my old Accord went for 60K miles and still they had some pad material left.

I will just put aftermarket rotors at some point. I and other people had the same issues on different Accord generations and resurfacing lasts around 10K miles so it is just not worth spending money or time talking about the OEM rotors. I was just hoping there will be difference once you go from Accord to TLX but no luck.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have always had good luck and longivity with OEM parts... when I have to replace my pads / rotors I will prob go with OEM.

·
Registered
2017 tlx v6 shawd
6 Posts
Hey guys just caught this thread as I just bought a used 2017 tlx from the salty roads of New York being down in Texas never seen so much surface rust on rotors. Now aside from that im 33k and they are definitely warped im getting power stop slotted n drilled as I would much rather eat through pads and with the speed limits at 85 I think I rather use the heat dissipation. Keep ya updated as I do not see many people already changing pads and rotors this early.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's rather quick to have break issues. I know you say it's not your driving habits but is it possible you brake more than you realize? I see people hitting the brakes in front of me when all they had to do was let off of the accelerator. That can add up over 30k miles of driving and wear them down when it may be 50k before replacing anything. There could also be an issue that's wearing them down.
I have actually been guilty of this without realizing it! once someone pointed it out and i started watching myself - it was kinda shocking how much i'd break unnecessarily!!! took some time to let go of the habit, and yeah, totally possible to not be aware you're doing it....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts